Author Topic: Gravestone of Susannah (Jones) Owen Bn 1821  (Read 15773 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Gravestone of Susannah (Jones) Owen Bn 1821
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2017, 11:44:40 am »
Jom, just a few observations on the latest information that you and Emma have gathered:-

Emma said that Jane died on 28th April 1889 and was buried on the 3rd April 1889, I take it that the burial was the 3rd May 1889 and that Jane's surname was Morgan.
Morgan is a Welsh name whereas Moran is Irish so that makes sense but it all means that the inscription on the headstone for Jane is wrong as it has the wrong surname and the year of death.

Offline emma silk

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2017, 02:20:16 pm »
Sorry. Yes the burial I have is on 3rd May, 1889. (I shouldn't use computers late at night, I'm bad enough in the day). The Caernarvonshire burial record I have reads:
Jane Morgan - Flint - May 3 - 56 years, in the parish if Llandudno 1889.

Offline emma silk

« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2017, 02:26:07 pm »
Sorry I should have added although the surname is spelt incorrectly on the grave which could be possible, if memory serves me correct it was quite hard to read the year so there was a query by it and she was also 56 years old? Hope this helps.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2017, 02:46:18 pm »
Thanks Emma,  I wonder if the people recording the inscriptions had difficulty in reading the year and mistook 1889 for 1880?    If I go to the Church I'll have a closer look at the headstone.
Jom has seen Jane's name in the 1881 Census so it must be 1889 as the year of death

Offline Hugo

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2017, 04:02:03 pm »
It was another lovely sunny day in Llandudno so I drove up the Great Orme to St Tudno's Church.    I found the grave of Susannah quite easily but couldn't read the inscription on it at all.      The headstone looks like it is made of some soft stone and hasn't weathered very well.
That photograph must have been taken a few years ago for it to deteriorate so much so it's a good job the inscription was recorded when it was.
The grave is situated on the north and seaward side of the old Church of St Tudno.
On the south side is the grave of John Williams and the flat stone is made of slate and although it is on the ground the writing is still clear

Did you have relatives called Owen who lived at Pyllau?    Their graves are very close to the Church and are in really good condition

Offline jom

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2017, 12:07:40 am »
Thank you everyone.  Another mystery solved though brought up others ha ha ha ... as always in genealogy.  This grave then Hugo, is just round the other side from my John and Martha WILLIAMS, as you say the south side.  Thank you for the photos.  Much appreciated

As far as I know, I have no Owen family from Pyllau residence but that doesn't mean anything in view of their proliferation ha ha.  Will look in to them at some point

I think I have found Jane (Jones) MORGAN and William MORGAN on the 1861 census returns.  They are noted in separate households as single servants.  I know that isn't uncommon in early stages of marriage but they were married in 1858.  I believe I have also found William in 1891

1861 Census Jane JONES (28) unmarried from Llangwstenin,  is noted as domestic servant in the household of Evan and Elizabeth JONES (farmer) at Bryn Y Gwynt Bodnod Egwlys Fach.  I don't think there is a family connection

1861 Census William MORGAN (24) unmarried from St. Asaph, is noted as a servant (cowman) in the household of Hugh and Mary PARRY, farmer at "Bodeugan", Denbighshire (I think it's in Waen)

1871 Census William and Jane are at 8 Furlong Terrace, Flint with children Ellen J 9 and William 5

1881 they are in Tradesman's Row, Pentre Ffwdan, Flint with Ellen J 18, William 15 and Margaret 7

1891 William is at 2 Evans Street, Flint with his daughter and family Anne and Robert JONES and also a son Thomas Morgan

Thanks again to all for your sterling efforts ZXZ

Offline karenjadejoy

« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2017, 11:09:35 pm »
just to note,
its me that has the owens family at pyllau,  and as i have been following joms journey and posts, i havnt found a link to his family and mine as yet..
:) Karen

Offline Hugo

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2017, 10:42:33 am »
Hi Karen,   I knew that someone on the forum had the Owens from Pyllau as a relative but couldn't remember who but I did take photos of the Pyllau graves.
In the photo of the church, the Owens grave is quite a nice one and is the raised grave directly in front of the pulpit on the outside of the Church.
I took some photos of the inscription on them and they are attached too.
John Williams,  Jom's relation is buried where the flat stone is on the left in the front of the photo.

Offline karenjadejoy

« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2017, 09:14:51 am »
thanks for the really good photos
 :) karen

Offline Hugo

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2017, 12:18:59 pm »
Hi Jom,  hope that you are keeping ok down there in NZ.    The reason I'm posting on here is because I came across some properties for sale in the local paper last week.

Derwen Deg from Llechwedd near Conwy has just come up for sale and I believe from memory that Moses Jones once lived there and have attached a link for you to look at.   I think that this was his place although I haven't established when this property was built.

I've not been able to find Moses' grave in Gyffin who died about 1842 but I did see a grave in the Burial Index for another Moses Jones buried in Gyffin in the 1860's and his address was Dwygyfylchi,      That's not far from Llechwedd and I wonder if he was related to your Moses?

http://www.fletcherpoole.com/properties/fp5397c-5-bed-detached-conwy#.WecHMoWT2Yk.email

Offline jom

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2017, 07:23:29 am »
Hi Hugo... sorry not to have replied sooner.  Been living in an internet black hole  :rage: We have just moved house and seemingly have reasonable access so will check it out as soon as I can.  I can't answer your question from memory but I have 2 Moses Jones in my tree... Just to complicate matters so don't want to get mixed up.  Derwent She was one of their homes though yes.  Well remembered.
All's well here thanks and hope it is with you and your family

Offline Hugo

« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2017, 03:52:37 pm »
Hi Jom,  I didn't expect a reply as it was just to let you see the property that was up for sale.   It looks a grand house and I bet that there is a lot of history attached to it.
I'm glad that you ae well as we are here. At the moment we have work going on in the house that has gone on longer than we thought that it would so I feel like I'm housebound at the moment.
Good luck in your new home and I hope that you can settle in quickly       $good$