Author Topic: Incompetence: CCBC (and other Public Bodies and Statutory Undertakers...)  (Read 115159 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Incompetence: CCBC, NAfW, UK Government, Local council and others
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2018, 06:31:11 pm »
Councillors complain they're being forced to accept pay rise         

Members of Conwy council say they're disappointed recommendation wasn't to pay a smaller increase on allowances.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-councillors-pay-rise-complain-14401565

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2018, 06:57:06 pm »
In the last two years Conwy's councillors had accepted a lower rate of pay than every other council in Wales but the IRPW did not give them that option this time.

That's right, because
As a result of the strong views expressed during the visits that the Panel should be prescriptive in respect of the salaries of executive members this provision has been amended."

In effect, those to whom the panel spoke said "Please force it on us.  If you don't then we'll have to accept a lower rise...

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2018, 07:15:26 pm »
To be fair this is a small increase (£200) compared to the cabinet members rise of £3,000, but, the system is still at fault.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2018, 07:16:45 pm »
Ah - that's only the basic salary increase. The big increases are - as you say - for the Executive levels - the Cabinet. And want to bet who the Panel spoke to when they did their tour?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2018, 12:40:02 am »
To be fair this is a small increase (£200) compared to the cabinet members rise of £3,000, but, the system is still at fault.

I’m in the wrong job.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2018, 10:13:57 am »
UK passports 'to be made in France after Brexit'.

The new UK passport to be issued after Brexit will be made in France, according to the current British manufacturer.
The current burgundy passport, in use since 1988, will revert to its original blue and gold colour from October 2019.
The boss of UK supplier De La Rue told the BBC that Franco-Dutch firm Gemalto had won the £490m contract.

Culture Secretary Matthew Hancock said a final decision had not been made.
However, the Home Office said passports did not have to be made in the UK and some blank covers were already made overseas.

De la Rue boss Martin Sutherland told the BBC's Today programme: "Over the last few months we have heard ministers happy to come on and talk about the new blue passport and the fact that it is an icon of British identity.
"But now this icon of British identity is going to be manufactured in France."

He added: "I'd like to ask Theresa May or Amber Rudd to come to my factory and explain to our dedicated workforce why this is a sensible decision to offshore the manufacture of a British icon."

Mr Sutherland said it was unclear whether jobs at the firm's Gateshead factory would be affected. De la Rue employed more than 600 staff at the site last year.

The company issued a profit warning on Tuesday, which triggered a sharp fall in its share price.
On Thursday morning, the shares were down by a further 5.7%.

"And to add insult to injury, we will pay over the odds for them because the value of the pound has fallen since Brexit and they will have to be imported."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43489462

Offline Dave

« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2018, 04:40:16 pm »
 Is all this fuss because it's a passport? No one is shouting about buying German cars, French wine,Spanish Chorizo,Greek feta or Italian clothes.All of those products have alternatives that have been made in the UK but we don't buy them if they are too expensive.No matter what the drop in the value of the pound, the reason the contract is going abroad is because it's cheaper...£50m was quoted.
So, we draw the line at a passport do we but don't care about everything else we import .What is different about a little book with a photo in it?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2018, 05:26:06 pm »
Dave, I understand what you are saying, but it makes me wince every time I here of manufacturing contracts being given to non UK companies, I am still back in the days of "Buy British".

Reading today's Guardian I learned that although a French company, the passports will be made in the UK, and a figure of £120m cheaper ? also creating 70 more jobs.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/22/contract-to-print-uk-passports-abroad-will-save-120m

Offline SteveH

« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2018, 03:19:55 pm »
Councillors complain they're being forced to accept pay rise         
Members of Conwy council say they're disappointed recommendation wasn't to pay a smaller increase on allowances.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-councillors-pay-rise-complain-14401565

Chair of cash-strapped council set to get pay rise worth thousands (and all the councillors' salaries are going up too)
A meeting of Gwynedd council’s democratic services committee recommended the change.

The ceremonial head of a cash-strapped council is set to be given a £2,500 pay rise just weeks after a decision to shut the county’s youth clubs.

A meeting of Gwynedd council’s democratic services committee today recommended that the council chair should see their pay upgraded to “band 1” status.

The role - known in some areas as the county mayor - changes hands every 12 months and involves presiding over full council meetings and representing the authority at various functions in a civic capacity.

The committee’s findings come just a month after the authority decided to introduce a new youth service model, which will see all 39 existing youth clubs replaced by a single county-wide offering in a bid to save £270,000.
&shake&

13 comments...
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/gwynedd-council-pay-rise-chair-14524343

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2018, 01:59:43 pm »
A lot of publicity was in the papers at the end of last year about the DVLA having a blitz on motorists who drive when they have no road tax on their vehicle but I'm not convinced and think that it's just a bluff.
They know from their records who is offending so enforcement should be a simple exercise.    I did write to them under the FOI Act and requested specific details of  their enforcement methods.
They refused to supply them on the grounds that it may help motorists to default on paying their road tax and I can accept that to a certain extent, but find it annoying when I know of people who haven't paid road tax for 6 months but still drive on a daily basis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2018, 08:05:37 pm »
Their insurance is invalid though Hugo, if they care?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2018, 10:37:34 pm »
It's a strange one that Fester because I've been reading about this type of thing and people have said that the insurance is not automatically invalid if they do not have road tax.
That seems strange to me and I don't think that any Insurance company would pay out on a claim when the car was driven illegally with no road tax, that's just a nonsense to me.
I still think that something is up at the DVLA  Office in Swansea and it's either staff shortages or a risk management policy but either way it's not fair to the majority of honest motorists.
Enforcement of unpaid road tax couldn't be easier but for some reason there is a breakdown in carrying it out.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2018, 12:13:27 pm »
It's a strange one that Fester because I've been reading about this type of thing and people have said that the insurance is not automatically invalid if they do not have road tax.
That seems strange to me and I don't think that any Insurance company would pay out on a claim when the car was driven illegally with no road tax, that's just a nonsense to me.
I still think that something is up at the DVLA  Office in Swansea and it's either staff shortages or a risk management policy but either way it's not fair to the majority of honest motorists.
Enforcement of unpaid road tax couldn't be easier but for some reason there is a breakdown in carrying it out.

I think it is divided, if you get stopped by the Police, they will give you FPN plus a date by which you must obtain your MOT,
as far as insurers are concerned I think this link explains it more.......

https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/no-mot-invalid-insurance.html

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2018, 02:21:20 pm »
test 

Offline alw

« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2018, 10:25:10 pm »
Conwy CBC have had yet another wonderful idea.

The Forest School in the centre of Eirias Park is about to close and much thought has been put into deciding what new use will bring the most benefit to the park.

The decision is in - they are going to convert the building into offices, which then will be leased to the Welsh Ambulance Service.
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.

I never said it was your fault; I said I was blaming you.