Author Topic: Looking for 4 bedroom house to rent - need help & advice please.  (Read 2505 times)

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
Forummers,

My family is moving to the area in early June and we are growing concerned at the complete lack of 4 bedroom properties available in the Llandudno-Conwy-Colwyn Bay triangle. We keep an eye on the usual sites - rightmove, placebuzz and Wynne Davies nut beyond that we are lost.

Can anybody suggest other useful sites, private landlords etc? There is are innumerable apartments, flats etc available but houses are scarce :(

Cheers,
Simon

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Looking for 4 bedroom house to rent - need help & advice please.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 09:22:24 pm »
Are you checking Zoopla as well?

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 09:41:48 pm »
Thanks Bri, we do keep an eye on Zoopla too, missed off that one.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 10:05:07 am »
Unfortunately, houses are in very short supply on the rental market locally. Have you spoken to local Agents directly and asked them to keep you informed about houses about to come onto the rental market?

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 02:16:13 pm »
Hi Dave - I start my new job on Monday so I will be visiting all of the agents next week and doing as you suggest.

What is the reason for the shortage, is it that investors are more attracted to apartments and flats due to low family house demand? its a tricky situation for us.

Cheers Simon

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 10:45:09 am »
Hi Dave - I start my new job on Monday so I will be visiting all of the agents next week and doing as you suggest.

What is the reason for the shortage, is it that investors are more attracted to apartments and flats due to low family house demand? its a tricky situation for us.

Cheers Simon
I was in a similar situation a few years ago, but was fortunate that a 4 bedroom house happened to come on the market at just the right time. With property prices in Llandudno being quite high but rental rates not so high, I suspect the incentive is for owners to sell their larger homes rather than rent them out.

I would recommend visiting Peter Large and Smith & Wypler in Madoc Street for definite.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 05:42:20 pm »
Thanks for the advice David, I will drop into both those agencies next week.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 07:07:23 pm »
Thinking out loud here.... there appears to be quite a few properties on the market which have been on for a long time based on my admittedly limited research. I am thinking of approaching the agents tomorrow and asking them if there are any sellers that would consider a lease on their property's under the condition that we were on a 3 mth rolling lease and that we cooperated fully with inspections etc. Anybody have any experience of this approach paying off in the past?

Cheers Simon

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 10:51:08 pm »
Thinking out loud here.... there appears to be quite a few properties on the market which have been on for a long time based on my admittedly limited research. I am thinking of approaching the agents tomorrow and asking them if there are any sellers that would consider a lease on their property's under the condition that we were on a 3 mth rolling lease and that we cooperated fully with inspections etc. Anybody have any experience of this approach paying off in the past?

Cheers Simon

If you don't ask, you don't get I suppose.
If the property has been for sale for a long while, and it's unoccupied, then why wouldn't they consider that proposal?

My only experience of this is from the 'other side',
I moved out of a house which I put up for sale and expected it to sell quickly.   It didn't, it took 18 months to shift, during which time I now had TWO large mortgages to cope with.
I was skint, so I rented out the house to a female work colleague for 4 months.... she never paid a penny, lied at every opportunity, and disappeared with some of the fittings.

Desperate, I rented it out again to a football team mate, who didn't pay a penny in 3 months... then similarly disappeared, leaving a lot of damage.

Never again!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 11:02:54 pm »
If they are struggling to sell it now imagine how much harder it would be with a sitting tenant?
Valar Morghulis

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 10:09:02 pm »
Made it to five agents today including those recommended above. It was pretty depressing, it seems the market has tightened, for now, agents speculated that it may be the BTL tax changes or just down to the typical ebbs and flows of the market.

Oh well, we will sit tight with everything crossed and wait patiently I guess  :'(

Offline Moelycrio

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 10:21:42 pm »
There are loads of 4 bed properties that have been on the market for 12 months plus. 4 bed rentals get snapped up immediately. Theres an opportunity for someone....