Author Topic: Invalids Walk - any idea when it was made?  (Read 9497 times)

Offline temperancellandudno

• Management board member
Re: Invalids Walk - any idea when it was made?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 01:22:27 pm »
Hi Hugo

On a holiday in Llandudno I managed to get to the Archive Service - very nice and helpful people. BUT - despite looking over and over on the database, they could not locate a map of Custs Path.

Mea culpa - any ideas what it might be called - the record, i mean, not the Path!!

Many thanks

TL

Offline Hugo

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 03:39:53 pm »
Hi TL,     I'm sorry but I can't help you on this one as I didn't keep a record of the map I was looking at.     I did e-mail Mostyn Estates asking for info on Cust's Path but they didn't even have the courtesy to reply to my request, no surprises there though.

There was an exhibition in Llandudno in 2011 by Llandudno and Colwyn Bay History Society and they had rare photos of Cust's Path so they may be able to  help or you could try Mostyn Estates as they would have had the plans and perhaps you may have more luck with them than I did, good luck

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 05:36:13 pm »
This was 1855.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 06:27:56 pm »
Going back a long number of years I approached Mostyn Estates with regard to my research on the history of our house. The lady was very helpful and provided me with copies of lease assignations and letters pre 1900, but according to what I was told their archive dept had a fire and anything pre then was destroyed. Thus I never got further back and found out exactly when it was built.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Helig

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 11:36:03 am »
I have just found this which gives the information you have been trying to find:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dPI6DwAAQBAJ&pg=PT13&lpg=PT13&dq=custs+path+great+orme+llandudno&source=bl&ots=QPYv3ixu4y&sig=yx5rfhE4sWlPfMOOtvGRqV4wvpU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0kOmUwPDYAhWmAcAKHUDtAmIQ6AEIWjAL#v=onepage&q=custs%20path%20great%20orme%20llandudno&f=false

You may have to scroll down to find the section on Cust's Path but it is great as it has some pictures of it. There is more of interest to be found on this site by the look of it.

Helig.

Offline Mike

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 05:26:15 pm »
Here is an interesting map Viewer which displays a selection of old maps against new with two cursors moving simultaneously on both maps so you can pinpoint the position.
Shows Lovers Walk on the OS Six Inch 1888-1913 going from West Shore Toll House.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=53.3241&lon=-3.8457&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2018, 11:01:28 am »
Here is an interesting map Viewer which displays a selection of old maps against new with two cursors moving simultaneously on both maps so you can pinpoint the position.
Shows Lovers Walk on the OS Six Inch 1888-1913 going from West Shore Toll House.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=53.3241&lon=-3.8457&layers=6&right=BingHyb
You can see how the original path skirted the lower part of Haulfre Gardens (being as the gardens were then the private gardens of a house - only became a park in 1929) and only joined the current path above where the Hospice is now.