Author Topic: Charles Darwin Llandudno 1824  (Read 1659 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Charles Darwin Llandudno 1824
« on: April 26, 2017, 07:30:08 pm »
My apologies if this is a repeat, but have just found this link while looking for something else.

Charles Darwin was in Llandudno circa 1824, but his presence has hardly been noticed by chroniclers of the town's history.
We are indebted to John Price, MA (Old Price), 1803 - 1887 in his guidebook Llandudno And How To Enjoy It for his record of Charles Darwin's visit to Llandudno.

Old Price was born at Pwllycrochan (Colwyn Bay). He was a school-fellow at Dr Butler's school, Shrewsbury, and, although six years older, a lifelong friend of Charles Darwin.

The first reference to Darwin at Llandudno in Old Price's guidebook is:
"... the formidable Llech, where, at the abrupt termination of a green zigzag (distinctly visible from the sea), a very rugged and narrow path led the adventurous explorer past a little artificial dripping grotto, with a stone table in it, down to the very sea ledges. Here true Samphire (Crithmum maritimum) grows, which we used to get by shooting it down. Asperugo Procumbens grew here when we went down with Charles Darwin about 1824, but seems smothered by nettles long since."

The zigzag approach to Ogof Llech is no longer safe to use after the 1993 Llandudno floods eroded part of the track. It is interesting that Asperugo Procumbens (German Madwort) is listed in Thomas Williams, Guidebooks To Llandudno, of the 1860s as being at Llech, but said to be rare.

The harvesting of samphire has been common for centuries. Even Shakespeare comments on its method of collection in King Lear.
Thomas Williams advertises his 'Pickled Orme's Head Samphire' for sale at his Italian Warehouse, where the Empire Hotel now stands, and later at his new premises where Hooson's Corner is located.

The second Old Price reference to Darwin at Llandudno is;
"Reptiles - the writer, in company with Charles Darwin, caught a Viper on the Warren, about 1824, favoured by Wellington boots and very strong gardening gloves. Holding him short by the neck, we let him bite at the glove, and emit a drop of clear fluid along the fang, which sank instantly into the leather.

"When this had been done about five times, no more poison was left, and we killed, but did not eat him - a fact never satisfactorily explained".

He does not say whether the capture took place on the Warren at the West Shore or that on the North Shore. Contemplating eating a viper seems strange to us these days, in spite of a much more adventurous approach we have to new recipes and ingredients in recent years.

Darwin and Old Price met up again at Cambridge in 1829 where Price was tutoring and reading for his own ordination. Darwin stuck to him so closely that it seemed to Price like hero worship.

One day, as they walked to Cherry Hinton quarries south of the town, Price stopped, pointed out some common plants, and proceeded to identify them. Darwin was astounded. 'Price, Price, he exclaimed, what would I give to be such a naturalist as you'.

The adventures of Old Price and Charles Darwin at Llandudno in 1824 took place when Price was about 21 and Darwin about 15 years of age. But their friendship continued throughout their lives. For example, even in 1874 after Darwin had produced the 'Origin of Species', the 'Descent of Man' and most of his other works, when old Price was writing his 'Llandudno and how to enjoy it', there was still contact between the two, now old men.

Darwin was researching insectivorous plants and Old Price offered to send him a rare bladderwort.

Charles Darwin died in 1882. When Old Price died at Chester in 1887 he left behind him many of Darwin's works which Darwin had presented to him. We are indebted to the two men, Darwin and Old Price, whose escapades, when young, in this area, further enrich the impressive history of Llandudno's mountain, the Great Orme, and its environs. May the memory of their visit survive.
Source, courtesy of the BBC.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Charles Darwin Llandudno 1824
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 07:46:29 pm »
Darwin always argued the existence of the ichneumon wasp was clear evidence that God could not exist. He must have had fun in Wales.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Charles Darwin Llandudno 1824
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 07:31:15 am »
Thanks for posting that article Steve, I found it very interesting, especially the first reference to Darwin at Llandudno in Old Price's guidebook
"... the formidable Llech, where, at the abrupt termination of a green zigzag (distinctly visible from the sea), a very rugged and narrow path led the adventurous explorer past a little artificial dripping grotto, with a stone table in it, down to the very sea ledges.

I remember going down there in the 1950's and seeing the stone table and seats and the path continued down to Kittiwakes Cove and the sea.   My friends who had been there previously said that there had been a stone cross on the table but it wasn't there when we went down.
I was going to revisit the place a few years ago but a sign said not to go down the cliffs until the end of July as the Sea birds would be nesting so I didn't go.  A week later though Fishlock was on TV and he went there, or at least some climbers did as they needed ropes to get to the cave.  Just as well that I didn't go down there after all.