Author Topic: EDWARD OWENS / MARY JONES  (Read 3910 times)

Offline WendR

EDWARD OWENS / MARY JONES
« on: May 29, 2017, 12:06:48 pm »
Dear Members
I have been directed to TTF from Rootschat in the hope that someone on here is able to do some look-ups in the Archives for me please. I do not live in Wales but East Yorkshire so too far for me to travel and look-up myself and only certain parish registers have been transcribed online.

I am searching in particular for a Marriage and Parents and Baptism's for: 
EDWARD OWEN/S to a MARY JONES Findmypast has Llanrhos Registers but Marriages start at 1813 and nothing for a Mary Jones but there is for a Mary Williams, being considered as Patrynomics  ???  On 1851 cen Edward & Mary state they were born Llandudno.
JANE OWEN/S c1835  she is not in the Llanrhos register, could they have moved to another church/chapel etc.. or is she actually a granddaughter from an elder child ???

Edward and Mary Owen/s lived at various places in and around Llandudno, but latterly at Nant y Gamar of which after their demise other members took over the rent of the farm. If anyone has any info regarding this family or the place I would like to hear from you.

This is the list of their children I have found so far, there are gaps so maybe miscarriages/stillbirths or other children were baptised elsewhere:
WILLIAM  baptised LLanrhos 1814 to Edward Owens and Mary (maiden name Jones) resident of Trood y Burleh
JOHN baptised Llanrhos 1816 to Edward & Mary Owens resident of Trood y Burleh
ROBERT baptised Llanrhos 1818 to Edward & Mary Owens resident of Pant y Fynnon Llandudno  (my line, he moved to Liverpool then to Durham, Croydon)
MARY baptised Llanrhos 1821 to Edward & Mary Owen resident of Morfa in the parish of Llangwstenin
THOMAS baptised Llanrhos 1826 to Edward & Mary Owen resident of Morfa Llangwstenin
MARYANNA baptised Llanrhos 1829 to Edward & Mary Owen resident of Morfa Llangwstenin  (Maryanna has various spellings on census's)
JANE c1835 not found her baptism   :(

Kind regards
Wendy
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 01:35:21 pm by Ian »

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: EDWARD OWENS / MARY JONES
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 04:14:06 pm »
Hi Wendy,

Welcome to the Forum  ;D

The only marriage I can find is on the Denbighshire Marriage Banns Transcription for Edward Owen & Mary Williams in the Parish of Llandrillo yn Rhos. Both are of the parish on
13th April 1813. The witnesses were Thomas Jones & John Hughes.

1841/1851 Census they are living at Nant Y Gamer and on the 1861 Census Edward is a widower still at Nant y Gamer with his daughter Jane who has married Elias Hughes.

The Residence from the Baptisms for William & John should read Troed Y Bwlch.

Unfortunately there is another Edward Owen and family living in Llandudno around the same time but he is a Copper Miner, so some of the children you mention could be theirs  :(

We do have a member of the Forum who very kindly goes to the Archive in Llandudno to look things up, perhaps he can help further.

Meleri

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 07:29:22 pm »
The small holding of Pant y Ffynnon is now demolished but it lay to the south of Bodafon Hall in a small vale. The last tenant left in 1939.  There was a spring here hence the name.
It is still possible to trace the outline of the building as some of the stonework is visible.

Some of the Owen family (Pant y Ffynnon and Nant y Gamar Cottage) are buried in Llanrhos Church Cemetery.

Edward Owen d. 15.10.1913 aged 73 (Son of William and Margaret Owen of Pen yr Allt)
Margaret Owen, wife of Edward Owen, d. 9.2.1904 aged 63
William Owen d. 25.12.1902 aged 78
Margaret Owen, wife of William Owen, d. 24.1.1867 aged 61
Cordelia Owen, wife of William Owen, d. d. 1894 aged 44
William Owen, son of Edward and Margaret Owen, d.16.9.1869 aged 4
Hugh Owen, son of Edward and Margaret Owen, d. 1.4.1892 aged 21
Cordelia Owen, daughter of Edward and Margaret Owen, d. 18.7.1893 aged 10
Mary Ellen Owen, daughter of Edward and Margaret Owen, d. 3.4.1901 aged 23
Mary Owen, wife of Edward Owen, d 1.1.1856 aged 63

Hope this is of some help and fits in with the other info.

Offline WendR

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 08:25:14 pm »
Thank you Meleri
Some "thinking" to do here with this lot  ???
I am going to research this other Edward Owen and see where that leads me with regards to children, alot of confusion  :rage: 
The marriage could be Mary Williams nee Jones, maybe not either.

Thank you Cambrian
That list of names is very useful to know where they are buried and the info of the places too, I like history of places.

I am trying to get my head and spelling around the "Welsh" LOL I could be in for a long haul at this rate.

Wend

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 08:57:32 am »
That's interesting Cambrian as I must have walked past those ruined buildings in the hollow but I'd forgotten the name of them until you posted that.
I read Chris Draper's book on walks with history from Llandudno and at pg 26 he mentions Edward Owens.  The family were living at Nant Y Gammar cottage then.   Edward planned to collect water for the house in large stone tanks higher up, near the road but before the system was even connected up, his small son had fallen into one of the tanks and drowned.    The same fate then befell a horse so Edward sensibly decided to abandon the scheme and smashed the tanks but the remains of them can still be seen.
I wonder if the son who drowned was William their 4 year old son who died in 1869.

Kenneth Dibble the author who died in recent years wrote a booklet on that area and there may be some features in it about the Owens famil

Offline WendR

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 05:48:10 pm »
Thanks Hugo
More snippets of info regarding this family. How very sad that a child and a horse drowned when one was only trying to make life easier for the family.
Do you know where I could get a copy of this book and what is the title etc..
Wend

Offline WendR

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 09:09:40 pm »
Conwy Archives have these, I am going to email and ask if they would provide a photocopy at cost for me.

CX174 - Llandudno & Colwyn Bay Historical Society Collection
10 - Llandudno: Historical Material
Cyfernod / Ref No   CX174/10/32
Teitl / Title   BOOK: 'Nant-y-Gamar' Historical and Social Survey by Kenneth Dibble.
Ddisgrifiad / Description   Photograph, plans.
Dyddiad / Date   1990
Graddau / Extent   1 vol.
Lefel / Level   Item

CX519
Cyfernod / Ref No   CX519/4/1
Teitl / Title   CORRESPONDENCE RE BODAFON, RHIWLEDYN & NANT -Y-GAMAR AREAS
Ddisgrifiad / Description   Relating to the research for the books he was writing. There is correspondence with University of Bangor and Hawarden Record office.
Dyddiad / Date   1989 - 1995
Graddau / Extent   1 bundle
Lefel / Level   Item

CX519
2 - Drafts of booklets by Kenneth Dibble
Cyfernod / Ref No   CX519/2/1
Teitl / Title   DRAFT COPY OF BOOKLET ON NANT-Y-GAMAR
Ddisgrifiad / Description   Entitled Nant-y-gamar - an historical and social survey. Published in 1990
Dyddiad / Date   1980s
Graddau / Extent   1 item
Lefel / Level   Item

Wend

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 05:39:53 pm »
I hope that you have some luck with getting copies of the booklet, they are only small booklets but they cover the people and houses in that area.
I've read them when I've visited the Conwy Archives and they are fascinating to read.
They are no longer available in print and there was a discussion about the booklets some time ago on the forum  but I've forgotten what the outcome was.

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 06:45:19 pm »
The late Ken Dibble was a local historian who painstakingly researched the families and dwellings in the Nant y Gamar and Little Orme areas.
He had privately printed a series of booklets on the following:
Penrhynside - 3 volumes
Bodafon and Pant y Wennol
Nant y Gamar
Little Orme and Rhiwledyn

He also wrote a booklet on the ancient skeleton found on the Little Orme known as "Blodwen".

The "Blodwen" booklet has been reprinted and is on sale at the Llandudno Museum as the bones are now held there following transfer from the Bacup Natural History Society.

Unfortunately, the other booklets are very difficult to obtain and very rarely come into public circulation.  They are available at the Conwy Archives in Llandudno as Hugo mentions.

Offline jom

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 09:46:02 am »
I was able to buy photocopies of them from the Conway library, I think it was and have them posted to me here in nz.  I'll try and find them in my boxes over the weekend. We haven't unpacked from a move as we will be moving again in a few months but I'll see if I put my hands on them

Offline jom

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 10:00:59 am »
... or it might have been gwynedd family history society who sorted me out

Offline jom

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 12:48:38 am »
I have now come across Ken Dibble's book and looked up Nant Y Gamar

He comments that Edward and MARGARET were there.  However in the searches on ancestry I note that the entry in 1851 says Margaret but then crossed to read Mary.  Anyway...  Ken notes that Edward was there (beyond Mary's death) in 1861 and had his daughter Jane and her husband Elias HUGHES with him.  Elias being from Llangwstenin and was an Ag Lab.  Jane died about 1871 and Elias re married to a lady named Martha from Bettws Coed.  Elias took over the tenancy of Nant Y Gamar after Edward OWEN's death between 1861 and 1871

I also found a baptism for an Edward OWEN at Llanrhos 1792 19th Aug.  Son of Robert and Mary but no idea if it's likely to be your Edward.  The date seems a little wrong without further investigation