Author Topic: Isaac Jones and Ann Owen.  (Read 6088 times)

Offline Helig

• Management board member
Isaac Jones and Ann Owen.
« on: June 08, 2017, 11:22:54 am »
I wondered whether anyone else on this Board has been researching the family of Isaac Jones, bc1858, Llandudno and Ann Owen, bc1859, Conwy.

At the moment I am trying to trace their children and would welcome hearing from anyone else who knows this family line. I have them in the census returns up to 1911. They seem to have used a variety of names for their children which is making it harder to track them. I am stuck with Polly, bc1884, shown in the census as Polly but no birth registration in that name for her can be found.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

Re: Isaac Jones and Ann Owen.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 12:06:30 pm »
Helig,   I've not come across the family before but as you have found them in the 1911 Census do you know where they were living at that time?
Also if you know where "Polly" was born and when then it could help to trace her on the Baptism registers.

Just a thought Helig and nothing to back it up but you'll be familiar with the story of Isaac and Miriam Jones who lived in a cave on the West Shore side of the Great Orme.
Isaac Jones was from Amlwch and your Isaac is the right age to be his son.       It's possible from the 15 or so children that they had in the cave that a son would have been called Isaac but could that Isaac be the one you are researching?

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 03:27:35 pm »
I'm not researching the family but have found them on the 1891 Census living at 3 Tudno Street, Llandudno and Polly is actually Mary C Jones born Llandudno 1884 on this Census. I have had two Polly's on my tree who's names turned out to be Mary, it can be very confusing at times. I did notice Polly/Mary wasn't on the 1911 Census with her family so she could have left home or married, so perhaps you will find it easier now you have her name to trace her,  ££$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 04:09:14 pm »
That will be a good help for Helig.     $good$

It's strange how the name Margaret gets changed to something else.  I've got a few in my family tree and they are down as Maggie,  Peg and Peggy so no wonder Helig came up against a brick wall with Polly.

Offline Helig

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 03:17:32 pm »
Thank you Hugo and Meleri.

The family seem to have lived at 3 Tudno Street for years. They are living there in the 1911 census, plus prior to that in the 1901, when the house was called Ashton Hayes. In the 1881 census, Isaac and his wife, plus one child, are living at 3 Tudno Street with his father, David Jones. David was a widower, age 54, a Stone Cutter and born Denbigh.

Isaac Jones married Ann Owen in 1878.

Thank you for the information on Polly. I hadn't picked that up.

My interest is with one of their daughters, Edith born 1892.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 04:52:12 pm »
Just as a matter of interest Helig, have you found out what you want about Edith?

Offline Helig

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 11:14:15 am »
Hello Hugo,

I knew Edith as she used to visit us frequently in years gone by. There was a close family link. I have most of the information on her but am unsure of the year of her death for certain. It was about the early 1970s or thereabouts. The Family Trees on Ancestry have it as 1974 but I am doubtful about that. She is buried in St Tudno's, I am not sure where exactly.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 01:23:18 pm »
Helig, as a matter of interest, if Edith married what was her surname?   

Offline Meleri

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 03:56:20 pm »
Edith married Vincent Langham in Chorlton, Manchester 1918. Vincent passed away 1939 Registered in Conway District age 43 years. Edith then married Harry A Prior 1943 Registered in Conway District. There is a death for Edith May Prior 1972 Registered in Conwy District it has her DOB 6/12/1893.

On the National Schools Admissions register for St George's School Llandudno there is an Edith Jones DOB 29/11/1894 Father Issac Jones Tudno Street. Edith's last attendance was 1/5/1907 due to an epidemic and then over age.

The two dates of birth don't correspond but that could be due to an error. Sorry I can't give you more definite information, the only way to be sure it is the same Edith is to buy the Certificates.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 06:14:22 pm »
That's a really good find Meleri and it should help Helig with his research.    I've never seen them but I believe that some school records are held at the Conwy Archives and Edith may feature in  them.
I would imagine from her date of death that she is buried in the Municipal part of the Cemetery and I don't think that the Archives have those burial records

Offline Meleri

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 03:04:14 pm »
That's a shame Hugo  :(  Edith's second husband Harry A Prior passed away 1964 Registered Conway district, so she could be buried with him?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 10:38:58 pm »
I think that the Crematorium in Colwyn Bay has the info on the Municipal Graves and they may be able to help.     

Offline Helig

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 11:53:09 am »
Meleri has the marriage details for Edith exactly right. She was Edith Prior when she died. I saw the 1972 death but for reasons unknown, all the family trees on Ancestry show her year of death as 1974.

I didn't know Edith attended St George's School.

From what I remember Edith was buried by herself as there was talk of a spare plot available in with her. Her son used to say he had four plots spare in St Tudno's but these were all sharing with someone! I think her second husband was cremated.

Helig

Offline Meleri

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 02:20:02 pm »
Helig, 

I have been on Ancestry to have a look and out of the seven trees with Edith's family, not one of them has proof of a link to her death from the death index. This happens quite often when someone makes a guess and like sheep other people follow by copying the wrong information  :(

Offline Hugo

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 04:31:57 pm »
I went to the Conwy Archives this afternoon and had a look at some records there.     There were no entries in the Burial Index for St Tudno's for Isaac Jones or Edith May Prior.    These indexes list the headstones on graves in the old Church and I suspect that they are both buried in the Council owned part of the Cemetery.      The Council records may be available at the Colwyn Bay Crematorium.
I then looked at the 1972 copies of the Llandudno Advertiser and found an obituary notice for Edith Prior in the Friday May 26th 1972 edition.
I've copied some of the obituary as follows:-

" A member of an old Llandudno family Mrs Edith Prior formerly of Florence House Court Street Llandudno died last Friday at Plas Y Dre  elderly peoples home Gloddaeth Avenue.
Aged 80 Mrs Prior was born in the town,  For some years her home was 3 Tudno Street.      She resided in London for some years returning here 12 years ago.    A widow she is survived by a son  Mr W P Langham, a daughter Mr S Burt  ( there must have been a printing error there}
4 Grandchildren, two Great Grandchildren and a sister.   
The funeral was on Tuesday,  interment being at the Great Orme Cemetery.
Then it went on about the many floral tributes that were made, too many for me to copy.
The funeral arrangements were by T  Owen & son  13  Bodhyfryd Road  Llandudno

I then went and took some photos of 3 Tudno St and Florence House Court Street.       Florence House is on the corner of Court Street and Vadre Lane and if I'm correct was the first Police Station in Llandudno