Author Topic: Isaac Jones and Ann Owen.  (Read 6085 times)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Isaac Jones and Ann Owen.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 05:14:00 pm »
Excellent detective work Hugo and really good photo's too. Helig, Now that you know who the Funeral Director was he will have the plot number for the grave in his records. I have found many of my Ancestors graves by contacting the Funeral Director, they are usually very helpful.

Offline Cambrian

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 07:59:47 am »
Hugo - well done.  I wonder if W P Langham was Bill Langham.  He lived in Maelgwyn Road and was for many years the Council's Transport Manager.

Florence House, incidentally, was Llandudno's first police station and later included a small court room.  It closed in 1915 when the Oxford Road station was opened.  An attractive design compared with its 21st century replacement!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 10:47:33 am »
On reflection, I now wish that I would have made a list of the people who made the floral tributes at the funeral as there were many names there that could help Helig with his research.
At least I know exactly where to find the article now, if I need to go back again.
One name I can remember though  is S Burt from the USA so perhaps Edith's daughter was living over there in the USA.

Offline Helig

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 11:42:35 am »
Thank you very much for this information and the lovely photos Hugo. I didn't attend Edith's funeral as we had moved away from Llandudno by then. We now know for sure that Edith died in 1972.

Cambrian is correct in that Edith's son was Bill Langham who lived in Maelgwyn Road for some years. Edith had a daughter, Sheila, who married a GI and moved to the USA. She lived outside Boston, Mass. There was another member of this family and I don't know how he fits in exactly. I thought he was a half brother to Bill and Sheila. He was called Dink but I think his name was David. He lived with his wife along Maesdu. Has anyone heard of him?

Helig

Offline Meleri

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 03:08:07 pm »
I have found Sheila's marriage to her GI Clement G Burt registered in Conway 1945.
Hugo you are right about the names of people who make floral tributes being helpful in research perhaps Dink/David was mentioned in the list?
Also The North Wales Weekly News used to give wonderful descriptions of who attended weddings plus addresses etc, very helpful indeed.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 05:33:47 pm »
I should have made a note of each one as they may have meant something to Helig,  I was pushed for time but I'll be going back there again sometime.
The Llandudno Advertiser in those days only had about 12 pages but they were big and the Archives don't take photocopies of them but usually they photograph them and send an e-mail to me.
There may also be another way of tracing Dink/David and that is through the Street Indexes and I know that they have one in the Archives for the early 60's and that could help

Offline Helig

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 02:26:27 pm »
Thank you both once again.

I think Dink/David was married to Jenny and they lived in a flat on the West Shore end of Maesdu Road if my memory serves me right. I recall going there in the 1960s with Bill Langham. Dink was a bit younger then Bill I should think. Bill was born 1919. Edith used to talk about Dink and his family but I could never make out the relationship and didn't like to ask. It could be he was the son of one of her siblings.

Helig.

Offline Helig

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2017, 03:09:18 pm »
I never knew that Edith was from an old Llandudno family. She had lived in London, Peckham I believe, with her second husband Harry Prior. She had numerous siblings as follows:

Alice Ann Jones b1879
Jane Jones bc1881 (query known as Jenny)
David Owen Jones b1882
Mary C Jones (Polly) born 1884
William J Jones b1886
Ellen Jones b1887
Gladys Jones b1888
Isaac Jones b1889
Gertrude Jones b1890
Henry Jones b1893. (May have been Thomas Henry)

They were all born Llandudno. I think there must be many descendants living in the town now.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 12:32:48 pm »
I haven't been to the Archives recently as the weather has been so good but I did go today and looked again at the copy of the Llandudno Advertiser.
I've copied the floral tributes from the paper and Dink's real name is David but because his surname was not stated I couldn't confirm from the 1969 Street Index where exactly he lived.
The names have been copied exactly as they appear in the paper and I think that some may have been spelt incorrectly:-

Floral Tributes from
Bill and Paula,   Sheila,   Clem and children (  Boston USA )      David Jenny and Michael,   Ann and Gareth,   Gertie and family (London)     Flossie and Al  (London)   Glyn  Betty  Jean and Ieuan,    John,     Meirion and family,    Gwen Eric Mary Marjorie and Keth,    Nancy Charlie Shirley and Peter,     Flo and family,    Mr and Mrs Burton,    Like Grove,     Jean and Jack Crapp and boys,      Pat Lalita and Vaughan,    Mr and Mrs Williams and family,    Mr and Mrs John Burt  (Boston  USA ),       Harry Norah and family,     Mrs Harphai.

Offline Helig

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 11:21:40 am »
Hello Hugo,

Thank you for sending this information. You are lucky to have had good weather, not great here for over 10 days now.

There are one or two strange things about the names mentioned in the floral tributes, I won't go into details. Dink is shown in the David, Jenny and Michael names. Many of the tributes seem to be from her siblings, many are from my family. I recognise Mr and Mrs Burton, Lime Grove. Mrs Burton was Lisa, my grandmother's best friend. Lisa and Edith Jones used to visit my grandmother every week.

I wonder whether Dink was the son of one of Edith's siblings. I thought the relationship was described as half brother to her son, William Langham but am not certain about it. I should have asked when they were alive., typical.

I can use the names to try and track Edith's family.

Helig.