Author Topic: Oatcake Cafe/Shop?  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Wrinkly48

Oatcake Cafe/Shop?
« on: June 16, 2017, 06:19:08 am »
Does the Oatcake Cafe ever open? We've tried to visit it several times since last autumn but it's always closed. Is it just a summer venue catching the holidaying potters? This seems odd because I remember my mother telling me that a day trip to Llandudno from Stoke-on-Trent in November/December had become a Potteries Christmas shopping tradition.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Oatcake Cafe/Shop?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 09:32:23 am »
Sue doesn't appear to have regular opening hours, but yes it does still open.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Wrinkly48

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 08:20:16 pm »
Many thanks for the reply, my reply being delayed by poor internet connection when out on the canal in our narrowboat. It looks like we'll need to take potluck once we complete our move to Llandudno area (hopefully in 8 days time) but there's always The Carlton to fall back on which is an ideal place to practice people watching.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 08:55:32 pm »
I've tried about 10 times to give her some custom, the latest occasion just today, as an alternative to Kava which was busy.
But yet again I failed miserably.
On this occasion, the chairs were out, she had bacon on the grill... and had what seemed like only one customer waiting.  I ordered a very tasty sounding bacon and Stilton bap.

She replied by saying it'll be about half an hour.

Obviously that's no use for what is ostensibly a takeaway sandwich shop.
I reminded her that we have never, ever managed to buy anything, (except when she was a fruit shop, then a 2nd hand shop, then a curtain shop etc...)
She replied by saying it was a shame because she has the best quality Henllan bread.

That may well be true, but she is likely to end up with most of it wasted... as its nigh on impossible to do business with her.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Wrinkly48

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 08:58:37 pm »
Fascinating. Does she lack business sense so that her businesses fail or does she lose interest and move on?

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 09:12:53 pm »
I imagine it is a bit of both. :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 11:39:31 pm »
With great trepidation I poked my nose into the Oatcake shop today, and enquired whether I might this time be able to buy something.
There was no one waiting, no one at the tables... so I thought this was my big chance.

I hit the jackpot!
She made me the most wonderful bacon and blue Stilton buttie, toasted and grilled to perfection, and a great coffee to wash it down. £4 the lot.

It's devilishly hard to buy anything from her, but persevere and you'll be rewarded.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -