Author Topic: Thomas Richard EVANS  (Read 23789 times)

Offline Helig

• Management board member
Re: Thomas Richard EVANS
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2017, 02:31:51 pm »
I think I have looked to see if I could match Ann and Jane Edwards before. I have an idea that I failed to do this. At the moment I have a nasty lurgy, flu possibly and am not doing much as a result. I will have another search in a day or two when I hope I feel better.

I think I found an Ann, daughter of Edward, in some census returns. I posted these before and will look to see if they match.

Helig

Offline Hugo

« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2017, 02:37:29 pm »
Sorry to hear that you've got the dreaded lurgy Helig,  hope that it clears up soon.

I'm hoping that I can get to the Archives next week providing the building work is finished by then

Offline Helig

« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2017, 04:01:16 pm »
I have had another look for the 1881 census matching Jane and Ann Evans (not Edwards as I put by mistake yesterday). I cannot find them in Old Colwyn, or anywhere near there. The only possible entry is in Kirkdale, Liverpool. Their address is 33 Fonthill Road, Kirkdale and the census shows;

Jane Evans, married, age 43, born Denbigh, North Wales.
Ann J Evans, daughter, age 11, born Liverpool
Margaret Evans, daughter, age 7, Born Liverpool.

There is a possible link to Liverpool as in the 1901 census, Jane has a boarder by the name of Dorothy Sullivan, age 4, born Liverpool.

I have searched quite extensively for the entry of Thomas Richard Evans in the 1901 census, to no avail. There is an entry for a Thomas R Evans in Bury, Lancs as follows:

41 Regent St, Bury.

Selina Hall, Head, single, age 57, born Bury, Lancs
Mary A Taylor, single, boarder, cotton weaver, born Bury.
Thomas R Evans, visitor, age 9, scholar, born Bury.
Eliza Batley, widow, boarder, age 73, Living on own means, born Ireland.
Martha Ingham, boarder, single, age 76, Living on one means, born Rossendale, Lancs.

I don't know quite what to make of that one.

The trade and commercial street directories might be helpful here. It could shed some light on exactly who was living on the Orme. Also, to see if any of them can be found in Old Colwyn.

The lurgy is a bit better, thank goodness. It is bitterly cold here, down to about minus 6 a few nights ago and not much above freezing in the daytime.

Helig

Offline Helig

« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2017, 04:06:37 pm »
I noticed that the birth certificate for Thomas Richard Evans shows his place of birth as Pen Berlan, Egwlys Rhos. Does anyone have information on this place?

Helig.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2017, 06:08:55 pm »
Helig, I think Pen Berlan is a corruption of Pen y Berllan. It was ruined before the Great War and had been located between the site of the War memorial and the play area at the top of Penrhyn Hill.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2017, 09:54:46 pm »
I think you're correct Cambrian and I've just seen Pen Y Berllan in Penrhynside on an old O/S map and it's exactly where you said it is.
Just as a matter of interest there is a house in the trees lower down and just before you get to Batty's Nurseries, have you any idea what it is called?

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2017, 08:53:08 am »
Hugo, I believe it was a lodge associated with Penrhyn Old Hall.  I think the name has changed once or twice and am not sure of the current name.  It seems to have been refurbished in the past year or so.  The road which passes it at the lower level was the original highway between Llandudno and Rhos which explains its location.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2017, 09:18:58 am »
Thanks Cambrian for explaining that,      $good$             I've noticed that there has been work going on there in the last year.     It looks a nice building but it's in the wrong place, far too dark for me.     

Offline Helig

« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2017, 10:57:34 am »
I remember that house from the days when I lived in Penrhyn Bay. I used to walk up Penrhyn Hill on what was the old road and passed by it on the way. It always looked spooky, dark and tucked away. It must be very dark as it sits below the new road. I have an idea that two brothers lived in it back then but I'm going to the dark ages of the 1960s.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2017, 07:58:10 pm »
I had a look in Find my Past this afternoon using the criteria that Jelly Baby has mentioned ( Ann and her father Edward)  and the only one that matched it was the one for the family living at 2 Rock Terrace Llysfaen in the 1881 Census:-

Edward Evans   head aged 33  quarry man
Anne      "         wife           34
William Thomas Evans   son  aged 13
Margaret              "       dau           11
Anne                    "         "             9
Kate                     "          "            8
John                     "       son           1

However there was no mention of a Jane so she still remains a mystery, although I still think that Jane is related to Ann in some way

Offline Jelly Baby

« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2017, 11:42:35 am »
Thanks everyone for all your work!
Rhuddlan: I think the Anne Evans born in Conway (11b 570) is most likely the correct one as there is no Ann born in Conway for the Jan-Feb-Mar Qtr. And she was born on 24 Mar 1872, so may well not have been registered until the Apr-May-Jun Qtr! Thanks, it's the best I can come up with too! She definitely only had ONE name, Ann (no 'e' apparently, but they were very bad at spelling in those olden days!) I shall send for it while the 6 pound PDF trial is still going!!
Hugo: That 1881 census looks good.
Cambrian/Helig: I remember that dark house hidden in the woods too! Many's the time (in the 1960s) I rocked the night away at Penrhyn Old Hall at the weekend - and because the buses stopped running well before closing time, it was Shanks' Pony all the way home to Llandudno most weekends! I often wondered who lived there and why they had chosen such a dark and spooky place! So then I am wondering how come Thomas Richard was born there? On his birth cert it looks to me like "Pen Pelan, Eglwysrhos" or, when it gives the Informant's name and address, it looks like "Pen Belan". Are we sure it was Pen y Berllan? Of course, we have to allow for poor spelling and little education in those days too... I'm attaching a photo of the steps leading from Pendre Road (just near the War Memorial) down past where the swings used to be. (Are the swings still there by the way?) Those steps were always dark and spooky too! My brother took this photo back in the 70s for me, when I was feeling very homesick for 'home'!
Helig: I hope your lurgy has gone now.
As a final note: Did anyone come across the poppies in the run up to Nov 11th? The Homefront Museum placed a poppy at the (former) home of every soldier in the greater Conway area who died in either WW1 or WW2. There was one placed for Edward Evans at 3 Mount Pleasant. I hope whoever lives there now cherishes it!

Offline Helig

« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2017, 11:25:50 am »
It is a small world as Jelly Baby must have been out on the tiles in Penrhyn Old Hall when I lived not far from there in the 1960s. We used to walk by there on the way to Gloddaeth Woods, then over to Nant y Gamar. I remember it was a night club back then. I was too young to venture there.

I think the spooky house may have been owned by Batty's Nurseries, or have some connection to them, as I seem to think someone told me the occupants of the house worked for Batty's. It was sold c2000 ish I seem to recall but am not absolutely sure.

Where I live (Dumfriesshire) the poppies were placed on the graves of all the men who were killed in WW1. These are in the local cemetery. It was a nice gesture.

I wonder if Thomas Richard Evans was missed off the 1901 census, either by mistake, or deliberately. I haven't been able to trace him despite extensive searches.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2017, 03:39:57 pm »

As a final note: Did anyone come across the poppies in the run up to Nov 11th? The Homefront Museum placed a poppy at the (former) home of every soldier in the greater Conway area who died in either WW1 or WW2. There was one placed for Edward Evans at 3 Mount Pleasant. I hope whoever lives there now cherishes it!

My Father's brother Gwyn died in WW II  and there was a poppy on the door of 7 Park Terrace Deganwy where he was born but it was in the name of Gwynedd.      He was always called Gwyn when members of the family talked about him so I checked with the Forces records and again it was Gwyn so Gwynedd remained a mystery.
Anyway, I was looking through the Deganwy History Website and his name came up there as Elias Gwynedd Hughes and I checked this again with another website and it was the same.
That Deganwy History Website is an excellent website to look at for anyone interested in that area.         $good$

Offline Jack

« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2017, 05:51:57 pm »
Hi Hugo, it is Gwynedd Hughes on Deganwy War Memorial inside All Saint's Church.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2017, 09:17:49 pm »
Thank you very much Jack it really is appreciated as I had no idea that it was there.     I'll tell my brothers about it and I'll go and have a look asap.
Gwyn was only 23 when he died and at the time of his death he lived in Shirley, Birmingham.    He had a wife and a young son Graham and my parents were in touch with Graham but the contact broke when my parents both died