Author Topic: Thomas Richard EVANS  (Read 23809 times)

Offline Jack

Re: Thomas Richard EVANS
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2017, 12:11:40 pm »
Hi Hugo, no problem. Here is the baptism entry for Elias Gwynedd Hughes from All Saints, Deganwy.

Was Gwyn the only of your Dad's brothers killed in WW2?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2017, 12:27:05 pm »
Thanks again Jack for posting the Baptism record.Yes, Gwyn  was the only one killed in WW II thank goodness.        My Father was one of 7 boys and 5 girls born at 7 Park Terrace so it must have been very cosy in the two up two down property

That Deganwy History Website is fantastic with all the info about the local area and Bri Roberts solved another mystery for me when he posted the name and photo of Fatw, a cottage on the Vadre where my Taid once lived

Offline Hugo

« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2017, 11:18:16 am »
Just a correction Jack after checking again, it was 8 boys and 4 girls.     :-[

Offline Jelly Baby

« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2017, 12:03:38 pm »
A Final Goodbye...
So on Nov 30th, my sister went to Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery in Belgium, both to finally meet Uncle Ted and also to bid him goodbye. It was extremely moving. I'll attach whatever photos I can. In this interesting journey - and with help from all my friends out there! (couldn't have done it without you guys!!) - I was able to write to the CWGC and furnish them with sufficient info to change Ted's age at death on their website from 22 to 21 and they have put in a work order to have the gravestone amended also. You may be interested to hear that Ted is buried next to Lance Bombardier Frank Hodgkinson a fellow RFA soldier and there are 4 other RFA soldiers who died on the same day and are buried at Vlamertinghe.
I was able to download a map of the cemetery and, with the coordinates of Ted's grave, it meant my sister could walk straight to the right grave without having to wander through the entire cemetery looking for that one stone.... Just as well, as it rained very heavily during the TWO hours she spent there!
I am amazed at the unbelievable series of coincidences that all came together for this momentous occasion:
1. She arrived in Ypres on Monday evening (Nov 27th) and went for a walk to get her bearings. The Menin Gate is magnificent all lit up in the darkness, and she took a photo of the 2 lions on either side of it. Just at that moment, a former Belgian soldier approached her and commented that it was a good night to take a photo of the lions. Oh, says she, why is that? Because tomorrow, they will be returned to their home in the Australian War Memorial in Canberra! *Sure enough, 2 days later, the lions were indeed gone! I have been to the AWM and I am ashamed to say I did not notice them while I was there! Time to go back again, I think!
2. Thanks to your recommendations, I was able to purchase (courtesy of eBay!) a copy of 'Paupers, Bastards and Lunatics - the Story of the Conwy Workhouse' and amazingly, it just happened to arrive on Thursday Nov 30th!
3. As did a copy of Ken Evans' book, 'Knights of Penrhyn', which filled in not a few more details of Ted's Army career.
4. Again on Nov 30th, I received confirmation from the CWGC that they had amended his age on their website and will amend same on his gravestone in due course. Job done!
It may seem fanciful but I like to think that Ted was up there looking down on us frantically scrabbling around to do the right thing and smiling that he is not forgotten after all - nor ever will be.
So a big thank you, all my friends, for the help and guidance you have given me and enabled me to get the right information together so that now Uncle Ted can be assured of a final rest. I'm sure he is proud of us all!!
Pics to follow!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2018, 02:45:32 pm »
Hi Hugo, no problem. Here is the baptism entry for Elias Gwynedd Hughes from All Saints, Deganwy.

Was Gwyn the only of your Dad's brothers killed in WW2?

Thanks for posting that Jack,  I went to the Archives yesterday and saw the original All Saints Church Baptism entry on the 2nd April 1925 for my late Uncle Gwyn and my father's too, plus all the other ten siblings.      :o
It must have been very cosy in Park Terrace in those days

Offline Hugo

« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2018, 07:14:51 pm »
I am wondering how come Thomas Richard was born there? On his birth cert it looks to me like "Pen Pelan, Eglwysrhos" or, when it gives the Informant's name and address, it looks like "Pen Belan". Are we sure it was Pen y Berllan? Of course, we have to allow for poor spelling and little education in those days too.

I was just searching for something using an old map of Eglwysrhos and I spotted Pen Belan on it.     It is in the Penrhynside area and is slightly north west  of Gloddaeth Isaf .   It's about halfway between Yr Hen Twr  and Gloddaeth Isaf

Offline Jelly Baby

« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2018, 11:12:18 pm »
<I was just searching for something using an old map of Eglwysrhos and I spotted Pen Belan on it.     It is in the Penrhynside area and is slightly north west  of Gloddaeth Isaf .   It's about halfway between Yr Hen Twr  and Gloddaeth Isaf>
Thanks Hugo. Sorry I haven't been online for a while but my darling other half downloaded a new game onto his pooter and completely used up our entire month's worth of gigglybytes! We don't get 'unlimited' at our dot on the map, so we have been very careful since! January was a very long month with VERY slow internet!!  :rage:
I had a look on the current Google maps and found Gloddaeth Isaf Farm but Google couldn't find Yr Hen Twr - was the Twr so old that it's now fallen down altogether perhaps?!
Anyway, I'm glad to see young Tom was never far from his Penrhynside roots!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2018, 11:55:05 am »
Jelly Baby,  I've taken a photo of the map I was talking about and you can see the old tower on the middle left of the photo.   It was an old windmill but is now a private house on the eastern part of Nant Y Gamar.
It was up for sale for quite a time in recent years and I've attached a photo of it that I took in December when I walked past it

Your place sounds remote with that internet problem you have in Tasmania.   I know three others very near to where you lived in Ffordd Morfa and they emigrated to Perth and Brisbane so I suppose access to the internet is better there.

Offline mull

« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2018, 05:41:30 pm »
Interesting that about the old windmill.

Sometime in the early 1950s a lady who lived in the windmill. came over to Liverpool with my nain on a day trip from Penrhynside.
I was a little boy then and I remember her showing me her torch so that she could find her way home after arriving back in the dark.

The village organised several day trips to Liverpool on Saturdays each year and I can remember going with my mother to meet the coach on its arrival to see nain. I think the idea was for the ladies to go round the shops and the men to have an afternoon out at Goodison Park or Anfield.

I have an old photo of my nains taken below the Llandudno Welcomes You sign, the villagers are about to board a Pyes coach.

Happy days eh!

Offline Jelly Baby

« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2018, 09:50:22 am »
Thanks for that, Hugo. I think any capital city in Oz is fine as far as the internet goes (my son's 4-person family - 2 adults and 2 kids - get through abt 300 Gigs EACH per month - I could live with half of that!!!) but out here in the wild and woolly rural environs of deepest, darkest Tasmania, we keep on dreaming! When the NBN was rolled out in our town, the last 6 houses in one street were missed out - and, you guessed it! - we were the 5th house! We had to get satellite after that, despite offering to pay the cost of whatever it took. When we started out (Last April), we were only 'allowed' 40 gigs, but they very kindly upped it to 70 at no extra cost (WOW!!  :o :'() in November.
We're seeing a pollie about this same issue this coming Thursday, but I am not holding my breath!  $angry$

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2018, 10:48:05 am »
Thanks for that, Hugo. I think any capital city in Oz is fine as far as the internet goes (my son's 4-person family - 2 adults and 2 kids - get through abt 300 Gigs EACH per month - I could live with half of that!!!) but out here in the wild and woolly rural environs of deepest, darkest Tasmania, we keep on dreaming! When the NBN was rolled out in our town, the last 6 houses in one street were missed out - and, you guessed it! - we were the 5th house! We had to get satellite after that, despite offering to pay the cost of whatever it took. When we started out (Last April), we were only 'allowed' 40 gigs, but they very kindly upped it to 70 at no extra cost (WOW!!  :o :'() in November.
We're seeing a pollie about this same issue this coming Thursday, but I am not holding my breath!  $angry$

Hi Jelly Baby,
NBN in Brisbane (where I live) is okay, but have lost it twice in the last month due to thunderstorms/lightning strikes. I can do without the Internet but do not like the loss of the telephone link. We have been to Tasmania three times over recent years and have fallen in love with everything Tasmanian - people, places, produce, weather, and overall ease of getting from one awesome experience to another.

Suggest you contact Barnaby Joyce over your NBN concerns, I think he would be focused on pleasing potential voters "big time" at the moment.  Sorry, this is an OZ joke.

Offline Jelly Baby

« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2018, 06:23:17 am »
Hi Downunder!
Son-in-law was trying to buy a house at The Gap but their internet access is frightening! Different streets have different access - even sides of streets! He found one eventually but it's pretty grim when you consider he has to have i'net access for his work, so in buying a house, no other considerations were at the top of their list!! Poor souls had to put up with just an inground pool and landscaped grounds that include a resident 7' long python called Jeffrey! Doing it tough up there!! (Ho hum!)
We've been complaining about our lousy summer (well, we would do if only it would get started!) but your weather has been pretty hearty, even for Brisvegas! Still, snow twice in January did leave us wondering which side of the planet we live on!!
Yep, we thought about Barnaby but the blighter's gone off on a touch of furlough, so back to our Labor pollie - but with a Lib Govt, how much good do you think he'll be?!
Sorry, Llandudno-ites, just talk among yourselves while we Aussies sling off about our trials and tribulations!!  :D

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2018, 11:02:18 am »
Hi Downunder!
Son-in-law was trying to buy a house at The Gap but their internet access is frightening! Different streets have different access - even sides of streets! He found one eventually but it's pretty grim when you consider he has to have i'net access for his work, so in buying a house, no other considerations were at the top of their list!! Poor souls had to put up with just an inground pool and landscaped grounds that include a resident 7' long python called Jeffrey! Doing it tough up there!! (Ho hum!)
We've been complaining about our lousy summer (well, we would do if only it would get started!) but your weather has been pretty hearty, even for Brisvegas! Still, snow twice in January did leave us wondering which side of the planet we live on!!
Yep, we thought about Barnaby but the blighter's gone off on a touch of furlough, so back to our Labor pollie - but with a Lib Govt, how much good do you think he'll be?!
Sorry, Llandudno-ites, just talk among yourselves while we Aussies sling off about our trials and tribulations!!  :D

The in-ground pool and landscaping may sound terrific even if they are topped off with a seven foot python, but I do believe that Tasmania has a greater appeal than questionable internet speed, scortching summers, damaging storms, and a seven foot long politician basking in the back yard. Our experience in visiting Tasmania is that most of the business owners and market stalls are run by non-Taswegians who have fallen in love with the place and decided to move there permanently. I would also venture that of all of the sites and attractions available in Australia, Tasmania, for UK visitors, would provide the greatest bang for their buck. We have visited Tasmania twice in the Winter time but, unlike Queensland, you can simply put on more layers of clothing, whereas in Queensland, if you do the opposite, you can end up being arrested for indecent exposure.

As for politicians, I am a firm believer that you can always tell when they are lying - they have their mouth open. Sadly, political parties have become, not a platform for the betterment of society in general, but more a mechanism focussed on perpetuating their longevity, and benefits, at all costs.

Okay, I will gracefully step down from the soap box.