Author Topic: where have all the petrol stations gone !!!  (Read 10088 times)

Offline gaztrucker

where have all the petrol stations gone !!!
« on: September 12, 2017, 08:18:02 pm »
i grew up in rhos in the 60s&70s on penrhyn avenue there were 3 petrol stations rhos county garage,hancocks,&penrhyn sevice station which was also where penrhyn coaches were based anyone remember them ? did many school trips on those old bedfords anyway im drifting away from the topic slightly who remembers how many petrol stations there were between penmaenhead and black cat ? bearing in mind these were the days when cars did about 20 to the gallon hence the need for filling up frequently.  additionally a lot of go to work motorbikes were 2 stroke when you filled up there was a dispenser which gave you shot of 2 stroke oil to mix with the petrol .

Offline hiraeth

Re: where have all the petrol stations gone !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:17:02 pm »
Squiggle,  who really must get his membership sorted again... but...

In our first time round, I can't remember from what point but late 60s early 70s, the (I think') Burmah in Mochdre was favoured and convenient from Pydew.  Father had Austin 1100/1300s (Abbey company cars) and mother had an A30 and and A3. Big end went on the A30 coming back from Llanrwst (cricket - dad played for them) and it clattered noisily home.

I have served petrol, both in Craig Y Don and when I lived in kent and used the 2 stroke pumps.  Bikes moved on to having their own tank for the oil and I guess (I don't know how it works off hand) mixing scheme. Other things like our strimmer, you just mix from a bottle.  Plenty of new 2 strokes around but the demand for the "dispenser pump" that gave a shot to the right mix no longer exists.

Other comment perhaps of interest but maybe not... is that I once had a Lambretta that needed 16:1 .  The strimmer is happy on 50:1

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 08:02:12 am »
Squiggle: if let me know the problem via the 'report to moderator' link at the bottom RH side of any post, I'll try and sort it for you.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 09:50:40 am »
I think if Pete Seeger had of sang this instead it would have sounded much less poetic.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 01:01:07 pm »
Thanks Ian. I made things a bit complicated or that but have come back as something that I hope is clear is the same person (a v2 version).

Born2Run, I have difficulty getting the words in.

"Gone self service, every one" works ok but I can't solve "where have all the service stations gone?"

I suppose next up at some point in the future, although I've no idea when might be easier; something like "were has all the petrol gone"/ "gone electric every one".

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 01:34:32 pm »
 8)

Where has all the petrol gone?
Long time charging
Where have all the diesels gone?
Long time ago
Where have all the engine's gone?
Gone to scrapyards every one
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

Offline gaztrucker

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 06:10:11 pm »
hey squigglev & born to run thought this forum was about times past not composing songs !!!!! anyway no worries takes all sorts

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 10:39:32 pm »
Sorry gaztrucker .  I’m easily distracted…  I’m really struggling to remember petrol stations.  One other memory I have is that we did try to influence parents ‘choices a couple of times but I can’t think where the local garages were.  I think one thing we did collect must have been this Esso football series http://cards.littleoak.com.au/index_esso.html at the top of the page.

Another, I can’t remember the brand of petrol, was plastic busts of kings and queens.  One of those was much loved for a while. Something must have gone badly wrong with the moulding and he was a somewhat distorted “King Fred”. I’m pretty sure he was not obtained locally but came from Buxton on one of our “Cat and Fiddle” trips to grandad’s in Norwich.

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 11:17:56 am »
Shell did a series of "coins" with cars through the ages on - I think I have two full sets somewhere in the loft.

I started driving in 1966 and filled up every Friday at Black Cat on my way home from work -n Austin Mini Countryman that did about 30mpg, 6 gallons lasted a week.  Now over 50 years on and I still use Black Cat - in fact, I cannot remember the last time I bought fuel from anywhere else - perhaps I should be able to claim some sort of loyalty discount - I must have spent a fortune there on fuel !!!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 12:00:34 pm »
I remember the Black Cat in the days before the new station was built in 2011,   is Brian still running it ?
New construction 2011....

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 01:04:37 pm »
Brian moved to Marine land garage before that was redeveloped as housings he passed away about 3years ago.Do you remember Woolers garage and caravan park +boat center ,I think it was about where the roundabout is now

Offline DVT

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 01:16:53 pm »
Correct, Woollers was on the Colwyn Bay side of the A55 main road, roughly where the big roundabout under the new A55 is now.

Black Cat, when I first started going there in 1966, was (I think) linked to Meredith & Kirkham's garage/BMC dealership in Old Colwyn where the supermarket is now.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 04:16:42 pm »
Brian moved to Marine land garage before that was redeveloped as housings he passed away about 3years ago.Do you remember Woolers garage and caravan park +boat center ,I think it was about where the roundabout is now
Sorry to hear about Brian, he must have been quite young by my reckoning ?
When I lived in Rhos and moorings were up for grabs, first come etc. I bought a small boat from the boat centre in the 80's,  there were Woolers in Rhos County garage in my Dad's day, any connection ?

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 05:19:28 pm »
 Yes I believe they were brothers one was a very good cricketer the manager was called Tim Boucher .also Steve Wooler a builder I think his yard was behind Methodist church in this.Brian Black Cat was converting old chapel on the back road from Black Cat to Bryn y Maen.

Offline gaztrucker

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 10:02:52 pm »
re: the wooler family they owned rhos county garage was a bmc dealership in the 60s the building side of the family had a yard which was down an alley between the garage and the first house on penrhyn ave woolers built a lot of houses in penrhyn bay they were quite a large firm at one time . my recollections of old petrol stations between west end and glan conwy corner are as follows : braids the large car and wagon dealership, red dragon garage mochdre, gwyns burmah autopoint, alpine view on the old mochdre stretch owned by philip harris a local road haulier and the black cat filling station at glan conwy corner .  additionally who remembers how deadly the old mochdre stretch used to be when it was a 3 lane road!!!!!!!! in places you can still see the old road markings