Author Topic: Llangystennin Hall  (Read 8264 times)

Offline Vermilion

Re: Llangystennin Hall
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2017, 03:34:08 pm »
... Rates book may be able to tell you and it may be in the Conwy Archives in Llandudno

I live in Essex so that will have to wait until I'm next up which will probably be next year.

Offline Helig

• Management board member
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2017, 10:58:27 am »
I looked at the 1911 census to see if it was feasible to do a place search. One of the two enumeration districts has 497 pages alone. It would be a mammoth task to search that one by itself.

Margaret Pritchard was born in Llanbeblig, Caernarfon. The family are living in Llanbeblig in the 1891 census. Margaret is shown as Maggie. There is a possible marriage for Margaret in Conwy Registration District in the March quarter of 1907. I cannot find her in the 1911 census, so presumably she left Llangystennin before then.

I think the best way to trace the residents of Llangystennin Hall would be to look at the Trade, or Commercial directories which list the streets, houses and occupiers.

The name of Boyd given to her son, Charles, may be a clue to his father's name.

Helig

Offline Vermilion

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2017, 11:06:54 am »
Hi Helig,

Margaret had moved to West Derby by 1911 and married there.  The address in the 1901 census is very close to the hall and the closest Margaret Pritchard by a country mile.  I would assume that if she was a domestic there she would need to be close enough to walk it and Vale View Terrace is that close.  The name is right, the date is right, the occupation is right.  The fact that her father was a deacon at the local church may have had a bearing on why she didn't keep the child herself. (I'm summising.)

I have Margaret's birth certificate, marriage certificate and death certificate and I'm confident they are all the same person.  All I really need is a DNA match.  There is somebody with a tree on Ancestry who is a descendant of Margaret's brother and I have sent her a message but she has yet to reply.

Boyd was the maiden name of the woman who adopted the child.  Faulkner was the surname of the man who adopted the child and was married to Miss Boyd.

As to the father?  The family story is that he was the employer at the hall.  This was told to Charles by his adopted mother's sister when he was an adult.  I have no idea to the veracity of this.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2017, 04:33:46 pm »
I did go to the Conwy Archives but couldn't see any Rates Books for Llangystennin for 1905/6 or any other year near to it.   Due to lack of time I didn't make any other searches for Llangystennin.

The staff at the Archives are very helpful and just tell them what you are looking for and they'll look after you .

It looks like you have the right Margaret Pritchard so good luck with the DNA and I hope that you have a match there.

If for any reason it doesn't match then the other Margaret born Conway abt 1894 may be a contender.    She was aged 17 in the 1901 Census and was a domestic servant but living and working in Rhyl

Offline Vermilion

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2017, 08:35:13 am »
Thank you for that, Hugo.

I'm playing the long game so it can wait until my next visit.  Charles's daughter lives in Rhos On Sea so I expect we shall be visiting in the not too distant future.

:)

Offline Helig

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2017, 11:52:30 am »
I have looked at the 1901 census for Llangystenin Hall and agree the entry seems strange. I wonder whether the Conwy Archives would be able to help in your search for the history of this. I should think they would have some material on this place.

There were some trade and commercial directories in the library in Llandudno, these could be useful too.

My apologies for the mix up over the name of Boyd.

Helig.