Author Topic: Sad death of my mother Frances Marjorie Welsh (nee Roberts) age 95  (Read 3317 times)

Offline pwelsh1@talk21.com

Sad death of my mother Frances Marjorie Welsh (nee Roberts) age 95
« on: September 23, 2017, 03:56:41 pm »
Dear Threetowns readers,
I am very sorry to have to tell you that our wonderful mother passed away comfortably in her sleep on Wed. 20th Sept 2017.

She lived in Llandudno all her life apart from 2007 onwards when she became so ill that she had to move to a nursing home near my sister in West Byfleet, Surrey. She was a stalwart of Llandudno Ladies Hockey team for about 25 years and ran the 12th Llandudno Brownie Pack freezing around the cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday but normally in the hall at the English Presbyterian church. She eventually became the International Brownie Commissioner for Wales. She will be known to many middle aged ladies in Llandudno as Brown Owl. She was a member of the Guides Trefoil Guild She (like all our family) went to Lloyd Street school and then to John Brights (called County School then).

One of her numerous friends was Olwen who used to run one of the sets of Donkey Rides on the North shore

Her father was Head Waiter at the St George's Hotel, then when he retired he was first a barman at the Carlton and then at the Conservative Club. He was an exceptionally good golfer at Maesdu with his name on many of the honours boards and on the starters hut.

Mum will be greatly missed.

Peter Welsh 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Sad death of my mother Frances Marjorie Welsh (nee Roberts) age 95
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 08:16:23 am »
Our commiserations to you and your family.

Offline Helig

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 10:48:24 am »
My thoughts are with you at this sad time.

I suspect your mother would have known my mother, who was born in Llandudno in 1923. My mother knew Olwen who had the donkeys and later I had the good fortune to have known her as well. My mother also went to Lloyd Street school followed by John Bright's.

Helig

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:34:56 am »
You can see my name, Helig. What was your full maiden name and did you also go to Lloyd Street and John Brights. I still have three cousins living in North Wales who went to Lloyd Street school but later to Central School. They are Ann Roberts, Roger Roberts and Christopher Roberts. Chris lives near the Black Gate at the top of Old Road, Llandudno, where the Orme tram crosses the road.

Just curious,
Best wishes,
Peter Welsh

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 04:17:23 pm »
Does anyone remember the name of the pet shop in Madoc Street, Llandudno in the 1950's? It had a Spratts dog biscuit sign in the form of a Scottie dog. We used to buy our dog biscuits there and on one memorable occasion a puppy called Pip.

Many thanks for your help,
Peter Welsh