Author Topic: Crosswords  (Read 1630 times)

Nemesis

• Ad Free Member
Re: Crosswords
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 08:55:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Have you tried that strange thing in the Daily Mail which is a mixture of picture clues ( Rebus?) and other types.? Some days I can sail through that and others I can't do more than a couple.

I don't know that one. Is there an online example to look at?  Other things I sometimes do are arrow words (I think really a crossword with a different type of grid), word ladders where you have to get from one word to another, changing one letter to make a new word in so many steps and codewords where each letter has a number.  I've not had much joy with the codeword the i in a while...

I  do find the sometimes just do with several things.  Eg. I have had a run of about a week on the Guardian Quick that were more or less straight write ins. I might start thinking (actually experience has taught me otherwise) that I'm getting really good at these and then you hit a couple tat bring you back down to earth... Others like the ladder word, I tend to ind a route fairly quickly or not at all.  Codewords, I can wind up making a guess, often at a vowel - it might work but I can also cross the puzzle out as it's clear I've made a mess....

They are called Pitcherwits and are most odd.

30 years ago my father in law and I used to do the Yorkshire Post one between us, but I haven't seen one of those for years. :(

I keep doing word searches if I see one, but after a while think 'This is inane. What am I doing?'
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

squigglev2

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 09:23:05 AM »
They are called Pitcherwits and are most odd.

30 years ago my father in law and I used to do the Yorkshire Post one between us, but I haven't seen one of those for years. :(

I keep doing word searches if I see one, but after a while think 'This is inane. What am I doing?'

Thanks. I've not come across them and failed to find one to try on a quick search now.  I'll keep an eye out.

I don't think I've ever enjoyed word searches. I did, many years ago, knock up a simple program that would search for the words though.

squigglev2

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 10:42:25 AM »
I suspect my better half will be reading this as I type.

I don't know which crosswords are tackled but perhaps your partner would be interested in seeing the whole puzzle  I took the last 2 clues from: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I have tried this one since posting the clues and actually found it quite approachable. There were one or two clues what I couldn't quite resolve to my satisfaction but my only complete failure was 3d.

SteveH

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 11:36:25 AM »
Fairly sure Drumbeat is the first answer.

squigglev2

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 11:44:57 AM »
Fairly sure Drumbeat is the first answer.

Yep, that's one solved.  Just to explain it: "Bared tum? Could be for a tattoo!"

The question mark suggests an anagram.  The clue might lead on think of a skin tattoo but the drumbeat goes with a military tattoo.

SteveH

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 01:13:59 PM »
Adorn ... took awhile, but this sounds right,    ad ... embellish/ navy rn

squigglev2

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »
Adorn ... took awhile, but this sounds right,    ad ... embellish/ navy rn
Yep, solved.  I think a bit's got lost above.  Trouble is ado and navy rn.

DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2017, 10:04:42 AM »
1 Down "Display a bowl of cereal"  - Brandish
6 Down "Organise change of decoration" - Coordinate (Anagram of decoration)

Will keep at it!

DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2017, 11:09:37 AM »
Came across a blog on this crossword with related answers so will opt out.

squigglev2

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2017, 11:21:00 AM »
Came across a blog on this crossword with related answers so will opt out.
I guess on FifteenSquared You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  I'd forgotten about that site but it contains solutions with explanations for a number of cryptic crosswords.

squigglev2

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 04:29:35 PM »
Just noting that Rufus (Roger Squires You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) retired, I think just before Christmas. As probably said before, I loved his puzzles that were mostly around my level. His output was incredible and I think he will be missed by a few...