Author Topic: Lne Corporal George J TATE  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Jelly Baby

Lne Corporal George J TATE
« on: November 15, 2017, 11:58:24 am »
Hello, it's me again! I thought it better to start a new thread for George, but I think he has definite ties with Thomas Richard Evans!
George was one of 2 sons of Joseph TATE and Catherine Jane PULLING, the other being Henry (or Harry as he was called). Joseph was a Baker by trade and they lived for a while at Holyhead before moving to the Great Orme. George was born in the Dec Qtr of 1918, whilst Harry arrived in the Sep Qtr of 1921, both in the Conway Registration District.
George joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and was sadly killed in Belgium on 21 Sep 1944. He is buried at the Valkenwaard War Cemetery in the Netherlands. Harry served as a Bombardier in India, but I don't know which regiment, as their Father, Joseph, served with the Lancashire Fusiliers for 15 years and was badly wounded in WW1. I'm not even sure of Harry survived the war.
Why my interest? Because when my Mother passed away in June, we found the newspaper clipping of George Tate's death in an old suitcase. I had never heard of George before and wondered why my Mum had kept this cutting for all those years.
Of course, when I discovered that George and his family lived on the Great Orme, I was most surprised and wondered if the Tate family had known the Evans family, who were coal dealers living at Bay View Terrace. Thus George would have been known to the family and the news of his death warranted sufficient concern as to keep the newspaper cutting.
Does anyone out there know anything about the Tate family? Did Harry come back from the War? Did he become a baker like his Father?

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Lne Corporal George J TATE
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 01:59:01 pm »
There is death for Henry Tate in Aberconwy 1988 4Q, he was born 17/8/1921. Also a marriage for Henry Tate to Joan M Bruckshaw registered in Conway 1946 3Q. There is a grave in St Trillo's Cemetery for Harry Tate 1918-1984 & his wife Joan Tate 1923-1998 but the dates aren't quite right.

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 06:54:14 pm »
He appears on this list... (in alphabetical order)
http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/cofadeiladau/llandudno-wwii_wm.htm

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 07:08:59 pm »
I couldn't find Rock Terrace on a modern day street map but I did look at an old map of the area and although I couldn't see Rock Terrace there were cottages called Rock Cottages and they were in Miners Lane in Old Colwyn.

Whether they are the same cottages I don't know yet.

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 01:29:49 pm »
Hi my name is Sheryl Thomas Harry Tate is my grandad, my mum's name is Sylvia Thomas we both live in Llandudno if you would like to get in touch my phone number is 07803321729

Offline Jelly Baby

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 11:51:31 am »
Hi Sheryl!
Sadly I don't live in Llandudno any more (I'm in Tasmania now!) but I'm glad to hear 'young' Harry survived the war and had a family of his own! I take it his brother was George? I don't suppose he ever talked about life on the Great Orme, did he? I wonder if he knew the coal dealers, Thomas Evans and his son Robert Evans?
Life would be just peachy if we all had perfect recall and, as if by magic, we were able to "join the dots" between families!