Author Topic: Llandudno Rotary - any members?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
Llandudno Rotary - any members?
« on: November 21, 2017, 10:16:10 pm »
I am considering joining Rotary and wondered if there are any members on the forum. I am keen to donate some of my time to helping the local community and to help to get to know people as a newcomer. Have had a good read through the local Rotary website and was surprised at how active the group is and to see they meet weekly. I would love to be able to commit fully but weekly meetings are going to be pretty difficult and I wondered what the typical time commitment is?

Cheers,
Simon

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Rotary - any members?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 07:23:23 am »
Rotary is a pretty good organisation for community help, but does insist - as you say - on weekly meetings.  The thinking behind that is the idea of friendship; meeting and eating together on a regular basis has been found to improve bonds between members and Rotary is all about altruistic teamwork . You'll also need a sponsor, but that can be arranged if you contact the secretary of the club. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 09:05:22 am »
Thanks, Ian, they are pretty insistent on weekly attendance? I travel with my job and would miss at least one meeting a month. I intend going to a meeting in the new year so we will see what they have to say, I cant be unique in this respect. I certainly agree with their reasoning for weekly meetings.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 05:38:22 pm »
As an alternative, you may wish to consider joining the Lions Club of Llandudno, who are also a well-respected organisation and carry out excellent work within our community.

At first glance, it looks as if they tend to only meet monthly.

http://e-clubhouse.org/sites/llandudno/

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 06:27:45 pm »
Thanks, Ian, they are pretty insistent on weekly attendance? I travel with my job and would miss at least one meeting a month. I intend going to a meeting in the new year so we will see what they have to say, I cant be unique in this respect. I certainly agree with their reasoning for weekly meetings.

If it was only one meeting a month you were missing, I suspect they would be happy to extend that latitude.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 07:11:15 pm »
As an alternative, you may wish to consider joining the Lions Club of Llandudno, who are also a well-respected organisation and carry out excellent work within our community.

At first glance, it looks as if they tend to only meet monthly.

http://e-clubhouse.org/sites/llandudno/

Thanks Bri, I will have a look at them too. Apex was quite an active volunteer organisation in Australia but I am not sure if that is an oz thing only.

Cheers

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 08:12:01 pm »
mondie, I believe the Maelgwn Male Voice Choir are also looking for new members.

http://cormaelgwn.cymru/joining-us.html