Author Topic: Llandudno Beach Clean Up  (Read 19169 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Llandudno Beach Clean Up
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 05:40:46 pm »
I think there will be 4 of us in all,  another Forum member has intimated he will join us for an hour.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Dave

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 03:09:00 pm »
I was only joking :D There are probably some who can only help out on a Saturday, we had 4 on the beach this morning and I have to say, not only nice to put faces to names but it's also quite  therapeutic picking up rubbish !

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 03:15:48 pm »
Well done  $good$  hopefully I can join in next time.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 10:28:02 pm »
I was only joking :D There are probably some who can only help out on a Saturday, we had 4 on the beach this morning and I have to say, not only nice to put faces to names but it's also quite  therapeutic picking up rubbish !

Dave, would you please give us an update on how everything went today with the state of the litter on the beach and the amount of litter collected.     It's a really positive thing that you've all done and it would be nice to have some feedback on it.     $good$

Offline Dave

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 10:56:13 pm »
There were 4 of us, we combed the beach from the lifeboat station towards the Little Orme. At first it looked surprisingly litter free but on closer inspection it's amazing how many small pieces of plastic and bits of fishing line are tangled up in the seaweed or lying elsewhere. Aesthetically they might not be a problem but they are far more of a threat to wildlife than a whole plastic bottle might be.
On the other hand we found a rusty discarded fisherman's knife and a scis..... (half a pair of scissors!) plus some broken glass, all of which could have caused nasty injury to anyone who trod on them in bare feet.
The volume in the end wasn't huge because the bits were so small but still a very worthwhile exercise. I think DaveR is going to start a new thread and perhaps we can organise another clean up somewhere.

On a down note I have to say it was rather depressing to walk along the shore towards the Little Orme and instead of one of the residents of those prestigious beach front houses appearing to congratulate us on what we were doing I came across one house that obviously use the bank leading to the shore to dispose of their garden refuse. OK, it's organic in the main but there was a lot of non organic matter mixed in too. If I had my camera I could have posted a photo.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 08:27:49 am »
I think we did a pretty good job of tidying up the beach, it’s actually an enjoyable thing to do. I will set up a new thread so that future cleanups can be organised. Here’s a pic of the rubbish we collected in just one hour.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 09:12:24 am »
Thanks Dave and all of you who took part.   A good job well done.     $good$

I know the house that you are referring to Dave and it does look a mess and what's more that's really fly tipping as the land is not theirs.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 10:39:18 am »
I enjoyed it, as Dave alluded to its quite edifying too.
Let’s make it a regular thing in several Llandudno locations.
I’ve noticed quite a lot of discarded cans and suchlike on the rocky beach to the left (or West of the Pier)
West Shore beach would also yield a lot of rubbish most of the time too.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline andyCYD

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 11:05:38 am »
You did a great thing yesterday.  It could get quite big if you make it a regular thing (if you wanted it to be).  It would be well worth talking to Dylans.  They already have a 2 minute beach clean scheme running at Cricceth http://www.aberaeron-today.co.uk/article.cfm?id=116682&headline=%E2%80%98Two-minute%20beach%20clean%E2%80%99%20station%20arrives%20in%20Criccieth&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2017

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 05:12:12 pm »
I found walking on the shingle almost impossible, now I know how visitors must feel, those who sanctioned depositing all those stones on the shore should be made to walk up and down for a day, so that they can feel what a disastrous decision it was.  $angry$
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Hugo

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 05:37:02 pm »
You're spot on there Quiggs, it's really hard to walk on the shingle there.   When I've been as far as the base of the Little Orme I go on that private sea defence after the Villa Marina and walk along it for quite a way.

Whoever decided on the quarry waste on the prom should be ashamed of themselves.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 10:09:25 am »
I found walking on the shingle almost impossible, now I know how visitors must feel, those who sanctioned depositing all those stones on the shore should be made to walk up and down for a day, so that they can feel what a disastrous decision it was.  $angry$

I fully agree with you Quiggs. I would have happily turned up to help, but walking on such surfaces is now an impossibility for me. :'(
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 11:32:51 am »
This is a thread to organise regular clean ups of the man made rubbish deposited on Llandudno's beaches.

The first clean up took place on Friday 12th January 2018.

Offline Dave

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 12:14:43 pm »
Thanks for giving the idea a thread of it's own Dave! Listening/reading to feedback the shingle beach isn't the easiest of places to walk for some so it's my belief we could extend the coverage to other places too. Obviously the council is responsible for doing some work and I wouldn't want to see us taking someone's job but there must be lots of places that don't get any coverage at all. The Little and Great Orme immediately come to mind, the Gun Sites another. We have miles of footpaths which offer good walking and potential litter problems. I drove along Bodafon Lane the other day and the amount of discarded fast food wrappings along there was sad to see, the road around the Gt ore another blackspot.
I don't want to make this something I want to do too often but once in a while and it can make a significant difference.
Does anyone have a contact in the Council to ask for their input, support even. The loan of litter pickers, those metal devices that stop you having to bend over would be much appreciated!

Offline andyCYD

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 12:37:44 pm »
Keep Wales Tidy are probably the organisation to go to, but you need to decide if you want to make this a formal arrangement or not.  My experience of KWT is that once they give you something they expect quite a lot back in terms of reports, progress up dates etc.  The Council could be even worse, and would expect risk assessments and probably want to know what you are going to do with the litter you collect.

If you are happy to do this with minimal recognition and just the personal satisfaction of doing a good thing you are probably better to keep it low key and sort things yourselves.  Perhaps do it a couple of times and then discuss.