Author Topic: Llandudno Beach Clean Up  (Read 19170 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Llandudno Beach Clean Up
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2018, 12:46:57 pm »
Thanks for giving the idea a thread of it's own Dave! Listening/reading to feedback the shingle beach isn't the easiest of places to walk for some so it's my belief we could extend the coverage to other places too. Obviously the council is responsible for doing some work and I wouldn't want to see us taking someone's job but there must be lots of places that don't get any coverage at all. The Little and Great Orme immediately come to mind, the Gun Sites another. We have miles of footpaths which offer good walking and potential litter problems. I drove along Bodafon Lane the other day and the amount of discarded fast food wrappings along there was sad to see, the road around the Gt ore another blackspot.
I don't want to make this something I want to do too often but once in a while and it can make a significant difference.
Does anyone have a contact in the Council to ask for their input, support even. The loan of litter pickers, those metal devices that stop you having to bend over would be much appreciated!

I am afraid  that I am limited to level surfaces, but would like to join in on those occasions.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 02:46:13 pm »
Keep Wales Tidy are probably the organisation to go to, but you need to decide if you want to make this a formal arrangement or not.  My experience of KWT is that once they give you something they expect quite a lot back in terms of reports, progress up dates etc.  The Council could be even worse, and would expect risk assessments and probably want to know what you are going to do with the litter you collect.

If you are happy to do this with minimal recognition and just the personal satisfaction of doing a good thing you are probably better to keep it low key and sort things yourselves.  Perhaps do it a couple of times and then discuss.

I think Andy is right in what he has said and it's probably best not involving other bodies.  Just keep it plain and simple and within the Three Towns Forum.     

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2018, 11:24:42 am »
Just come down the road and past the new lifeboat building and there were quite a lot of people litter picking, both on the edge of the beach and both sides of the road. Some had hi-viz jackets, but all had grabs and sacks. Seems a waste of time to someone after what you good people attained earlier. !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 12:24:21 pm »
That seems like an organisation that has arranged that Nemesis, I wonder which one it was.     I saw a group on the Orme a few years ago doing the same thing but they were offenders and I seem to remember them having that notice on their high viz jackets.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 01:16:37 pm »
I notice there is a couple of active Facebook Group Pages called Friends of Conwy County Countryside Litter Pickers and Friends of Conwy Litter Picking Team.

I wonder if it maybe one of them?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 06:31:33 pm »
That seems like an organisation that has arranged that Nemesis, I wonder which one it was.     I saw a group on the Orme a few years ago doing the same thing but they were offenders and I seem to remember them having that notice on their high viz jackets.

That crossed my mind Hugo, having seen the same thing on the Orme, but these people didn't all have the jackets and were rather spread out for them to be under any supervision. The only thing that they all had were grabs and sacks, some green, some black. As the wind was quite strong they seemed to be struggling to actually get anything into the bags.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2018, 09:12:39 am »
I notice there is a couple of active Facebook Group Pages called Friends of Conwy County Countryside Litter Pickers and Friends of Conwy Litter Picking Team.

I just copied and pasted this from the FB Group.

Here is some information for any of you who would like to organise a litter pick in your area.

Equipment can be borrowed from the cleansing depot located in Mochdre.

Contact ....Sarah Gallagher on 01492 575712. Give the dates and time and they will arrange for the collection of bagged litter. Hope this helps. Pat

Offline Dave

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2018, 08:18:58 pm »
Excellent bit of info Bri.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2018, 10:21:45 pm »
You are most welcome, Dave.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2018, 09:35:17 am »
Interesting article and video re. Plastic waste.....

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-42808302

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2018, 03:47:38 pm »
I’m ready to do it again, if anyone is available next week?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Dave

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2018, 09:45:44 pm »
I'm away at the moment but, like Arnie.... I'll be back!

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2018, 02:49:33 pm »
I’ll give it another go $good$
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline llandudnotrust

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2018, 06:50:57 pm »
Now, just testing the water here. Are you good cleaning folk planning on doing a beach clean on the 20th Feb? If not we are going to do a clean up at Haulfre Gardens meeting outside the tearooms at 2pm.

You are most welcome to join us.
The Friends od Happy Valley & Haulfre Gardens

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2018, 10:11:55 pm »
I’ll be 150 miles away on that day, so no clash with your event.

I’m going to do a West Shore clean this week, probably Thursday if anyone is interested?
If not, I’ll just crack on.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -