Author Topic: John Bright Grammar School  (Read 41355 times)

Offline Jelly Baby

John Bright Grammar School
« on: February 18, 2018, 09:38:55 am »
Please someone help us before we fall out forever!  :laugh: My sister and I are arguing about House names in the old John Bright Grammar School (which we both attended). I say that the houses and their colours were:
Glaslyn - Blue
Peris - White    *Maybe that should be Perys?
Llydaw - Yellow
?(Can't remember this name)? - Green
I was in Glaslyn, which means that any siblings coming after me should have been in the same house, but Sis says she was in the green one, whose name she thinks was Gloddaeth.
I'm pretty sure the houses were named after North Walian lakes.
Can someone please put us out of our misery and tell us which house and colour is which?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:32:54 pm by Ian »

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: John Bright Grammar School - Houses
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 09:49:28 am »
They had different names when i was there during the early sixties.

Mostyn, Gogarth, Gloddaeth and Penrhyn come to mind.

At a guess, they were red, yellow, green and blue.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 10:59:07 am »
They had different names when i was there during the early sixties.

Mostyn, Gogarth, Gloddaeth and Penrhyn come to mind.

At a guess, they were red, yellow, green and blue.

It was like that when I was there Bri, perhaps it changed when John Brights became a Comprehensive School?

Offline Jelly Baby

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 12:02:24 pm »
Aha! Sis says she wasn't sure if it was Gloddaeth or Gogarth, so that's a help! I remember Penrhyn as well (I think - long time ago!) But I was definitely in Glaslyn, which was blue, my favourite colour!
I was at JBGS from1960-67. I remember my Sis started her O-levels on 06-06-66!!! Now that's a date you'd never forget!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 12:33:28 pm »
That's a long time to be in JBGS   Jelly Baby,  did you stay on for A levels or something?       I was there from 1958 to 1963 and that was enough for me and I just walked out of the place in late 63

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 02:12:31 pm »
Would you believe I was also at JBGS from 1961-67 and I have also never forgotten starting my O levels on the 6-6-66 ?

However, I am pretty sure there were both Gogarth and Gloddaeth as well as Penrhyn which was blue.

I remember being in Mostyn myself and my sister had to declare that fact when she went to JBGS in 1964.

I regret I have never heard of Glaslyn so I guess that must have been introduced later.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 03:45:52 pm »
I was in Mostyn too but a few years ahead of you Bri.     Were you ever in the Mostyn football team prior to 1964?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 06:02:44 pm »
I regularly represented the school, Hugo, in chess and cross country but I don’t remember being picked for Mostyn House in anything.

I have never really got over it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 10:27:21 pm »
At least you were successful in chess particularly, Llandudno Youth Centre champion if my memory is correct.     I played football for Mostyn  and the Llandudno Youth  Centre also but when I refused to play for JBGS  football team I got the cane off the headmaster  S O Rees

Offline Jelly Baby

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 02:45:19 am »
Yes, Hugo, I did 2 A levels, French and German. Sadly they were never much use to me as, being a Grammar school, JBGS left the teaching of secretarial skills to the Secondary Mod ('Central' school); and languages without typing and shorthand (in those days, long before pooters were invented!) were never going to be much use on their own! And coming to Oz later, where the predominant (European) languages are Greek and Italian, well, what can I say!! Might as well have left earlier myself really!

Bri, if you were at JBGS 61-67, and believe Penrhyn was blue, then Glaslyn must have been the blue house in 1960, because I was definitely in Glaslyn and it was definitely blue! It can't possibly be anything else because I have a fabulous memory and would never forget a thing like that.

Now where was I, and who was I talking to....??? Er, ahem!!  ???

You must have been in the same year as my sister then, Bri, to have started your O levels on that same date!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 09:46:23 am »
JBGS  1965 but I don't think that Bri and Jelly Baby are in the photo but they may recognise some faces.     The school went comprehensive in 1969 so I'm surprised that the house names changed before then but new teachers were coming in and bringing in new ideas too

https://www.flickr.com/photos/allan_harris/5509233197

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 10:10:31 am »
Yes, Hugo, is correct.

I am not in any of the photos but I can certainly recognise quite a few faces and can even remember a few names as well.

I am also younger than those pupils in those nostalgic photos.

I was in an Alpha stream.

There is no doubt I was in the same year as Jelly Baby’s sister if we can both remember 6/6/66.

I must add again that I do not remember Glaslyn ever being a House at JBGS.

Offline Jelly Baby

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 06:34:26 am »
That was certainly my class in '65 and I recognise most of the faces but I'm a shocker at names! I'm not 100% sure but I think that's me at the back with half my face obscured? It would be like me to skulk at the back! Pretty poor show when you can't even recognise yourself! My apologies to whoever that gorgeous-looking bird is if it's not me anyway!
Bri, I was in the Alpha stream too, as was my sister! Only the As got to do Latin after the first form, so I missed out on even an O-level, which would have given me the option to try to get into one of the Oxbridge Unis - ooh, they do like their Latin!
I'm still hanging out for Glaslyn though...............

Offline Jelly Baby

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 06:39:30 am »
Oh dear, as the fog of time lifts and clears, I dread to think, could it be possible that Glaslyn was one of the houses at BODAFON, rather than JBGS??
C'mon, guys, give me a break, we're talking over 58 years ago now! And to think I'm still only 25 years old!!
I wonder what house I was in at JBGS then?!!

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 03:27:19 pm »
In the second photograph of just the ladies, is the pretty blonde second from back desk, on the far wall Annette ?