Author Topic: John Bright Grammar School  (Read 41458 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: John Bright Grammar School - Houses
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 04:29:20 pm »
The present day houses in Ysgol John Bright,   Mostyn is missing but where is Glaslyn?

http://johnbright.uk/houses-2/

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 05:14:47 pm »
I was in Goddaeth ( Green ) from 1952 / 1955. The other houses were Mostyn, Penrhyn and Gogarth, if that adds to the confusion, oh, and I did Latin in the second year, for all the good it did  ;D
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 05:21:27 pm »
PS. I left at 15 and did a 5 year apprenticeship as a Tool Maker, so Latin wasn’t of much use
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Jelly Baby

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 02:36:49 am »
Meleri, I thought Annette was the one in the middle on the front row! I'm getting very annoyed with myself for not being sure of the names because she and I were in the 6th form together. Maybe she was Angela? I think she lived at Craig-y-Don, a street called Avoca Terrace/Street/ or something, but I can't find it on Google maps - there are an awful lot of 'unnamed roads' in C-y-D though!
I hate this growing old lark, you see things you remember so well, but then you can't quite put your finger on the names, places, dates, etc!
Glaslyn rules, woteva!!!
PS: I am pretty sure the girl (in the other pic where there are only 4 girls!) second from the right at the back (with the longish hair flicked upwards and outwards!) was called Phillipa. I remember that because I loved that name and wished I'd been called that! In fact, nice name, nice girl!

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 10:15:38 am »
Just got some old photos out and the girl I pointed out looks very much like Annette, she went out with my brother for a few years.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 10:47:11 am »
You are correct about Phillipa  and according to Frank who has a great memory!   these are some of the others in the class.   There were 5 photos in total of the class in the link I posted

Robert Lynton-Jones, Tony Elliott, Robin Roberts, FWH, John Geler Williams, David Pritchard (back corner), Peter Palmer (chin on hand), Brian Moses, Ian Kay, Beryl Pierce, Phillippa Lewis, Susan Roberts (front) and Judith Barker-Ball.
He says the class was 5A, you took the class photo in 1965 just before O Levels

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 12:14:49 pm »
It was a comp when I attended. I’m afraid the only house I remember is Penrhyn.

I don’t know who was taught Latin in those early 70s days. It’s a bit of a mystery to me. I believe Mr Evans (who’s wife taught me French) was a Latin teacher and he could sometimes be seen in the junior block but neither I who went 1C, 1B, 2A or my brother who was in 1A (we moved to Kent after that – brother rejoined JYB in the 6th form but I didn’t return after my 2nd year) encountered the subject.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 02:36:43 pm »
It was a comp when I attended. I’m afraid the only house I remember is Penrhyn.

I don’t know who was taught Latin in those early 70s days. It’s a bit of a mystery to me. I believe Mr Evans (who’s wife taught me French) was a Latin teacher and he could sometimes be seen in the junior block but neither I who went 1C, 1B, 2A or my brother who was in 1A (we moved to Kent after that – brother rejoined JYB in the 6th form but I didn’t return after my 2nd year) encountered the subject.

Mr Evans was our Latin teacher when I was in JBGS,   he was always called Happy on account of his facial expression and one day when he did  manage to crack a smile the whole class cheered in unison

Offline George

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2018, 10:39:14 am »
Hi everyone.  I was in the Gamma class of JBGS during the period 1957 - 1963 (and like Hugo I walked out one day!).  Anyway I've managed to contact a few old classmates from that period, so far 3 of the boys and 5 of the girls and sadly found out that another 10 of our classmates have passed away.  Does anyone out there know the whereabouts of any of the Gamma class during this period.  If you do could you please let me know.  We've set up a Facebook Group "John Bright Grammar School Gamma Gramarians 1957 - 1963" so if you were in the Gammas during this period of time please feel free to join, it would be great to meet up with you again.  Finally the class mates that we have found so far are: Howie Lloyd Jones, John Haydn Powell, Richie Jones, George Williams, Nerys Barratt (now Nerys George) Linda Holt (Now Linda Blacwell Holt), Marylyn Moore (Now Marilyn Griffiths), Janet Jones (Now Janet Leighton), Robina (Robbie) Jones

Offline Hugo

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2018, 03:19:08 pm »
Hi George,  I'm sorry but I can't help you on this one.    I was also in the Gamma stream in 1963 but can't remember any of those names that you have mentioned.
I walked out of JBGS in the Autumn of 1963.     Good luck with your search

Offline Hugo

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2018, 04:04:44 pm »
George,   I've just been reading my JBGS magazines for 1959 and 1960 and can see by the names that you were one form ahead of me in school. 
The 1960 article on 3 Gamma was written by Robina Jones and in the 1959 magazine in 2 Gamma is a mention of " George who shines in woodwork"     Would that be you by any chance?

Offline DVT

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2018, 08:22:24 pm »
Just noticed the name of a Mr Moses - teacher? - in the previous postings - does anyone know if he was a keen bird-watcher and that would have been about 1955? ... if it is him then I can tell you something (good) about him, and how it relates to my life today.  I did not attend JBGS, my only connection with school being that my grand-daughter is in her first year there now.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2018, 09:35:40 pm »
Probably Stan Moses.

Offline George

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2018, 03:08:32 pm »
Hi Hugo, that's amazing that you've got that JBGS magazine.  It is me that Robina mentioned and it just so happens that I've just been speaking to Robina (Robbie) if that's the right term on Facebook.  She lives in Buxton now but she was in Llandudno at the weekend at a 'Get Together' with Nerys, Linda, Janice and a few more.  I live in the north of Scotland now so I don't get to come back to Llandudno very often which is a shame.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2018, 05:32:44 pm »
Hi George,  I took some photos of the articles in the magazines and attach them so that you can see them.    The first two photos are from the 1959 John Bright magazine and the 3rd and 4th are from the 1960 magazine.  Hope that some good memories come back to you.

In the 1959 magazine there is a mention of Richard Jones as being a rock and roll fan, do you remember if he lived in the council houses on Conwy Road Llandudno.  The reason I'm asking is because a Richard Jones played in the same football team as me and he was ahead of me in the school