Author Topic: Llanduno floods of 1992/3 - who lived through them?  (Read 769 times)

ormegolf

• Ad Free Member
    • Great Orme family golf
Re: Llanduno floods of 1992/3 - who lived through them?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 06:25:54 PM »
I agree. It was very strange. One thing was the state of the sky over llandudno 24 hours before. Definitely similar to the state of the sky before a thunder storm. Like sudden movements in clouds for no apparent reason.
  Of course the towyn flood was completely different. Here there was gale force winds nonstop day and night from the northwest. Four days before the sea wall came down you could hardly stand up in the wind. That caused the sea surg which finally brought the sea wall down

Hugo

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 06:34:16 PM »
When I lived in Towyn I saw the streets on the north side of the coast road flooded a few times and people were evacuated from their property in rowing boats.   It was only the camber in the main road that prevented the estates on the other side from flooding
The Towyn Flood that you've rightly described Mike flooded the other side too.    Luckily for me, I had moved home before it happened

Nemesis

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 01:55:18 PM »
There was another more recent episode in the early 2000s when all the local drains and the pumping station packed up. The water came down from the Orme during a cloud burst and my OH and I were struggling to sweep it away down the sewer grate away from the back door. We were up to our knees in a raging torrent, but managed to avert a major problem. The  water got in through air grates at the back and cut off the electricity, but in a very old house these things happen and we soon got sorted !
Incidentally my OH made a 'flood gate' to fit the back gate and if there is a heavy storm it soon gets slotted into place !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Hugo

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 03:24:11 PM »
Mondie, here are some old photos for you of floods in Llandudno.   The first is of the West Shore before they built the original sea defence in the 1950's,   they then built another sea defence there in the 1990's and the water has now been replaced by sand
The second photo is another early one of Clonmel Street.    Parts of Llandudno are very low and even from Mostyn Street the streets go uphill slightly to the promenade.
Many properties have basements and they flood from time to time