Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 360892 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #780 on: June 09, 2017, 10:31:52 am »
Providing it's not too windy, it's a lovely place for families to go to and it should stay like that and let nature take it's course

Offline Hugo

« Reply #781 on: October 03, 2017, 03:26:47 pm »
No worries about having to cut the grass on the West Shore this Winter

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #782 on: October 03, 2017, 07:30:22 pm »
 $walesflag$  If there's too much sand on the West Shore Hugo we could always ask the Council to dump it on the North Shore.  $walesflag$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #783 on: October 03, 2017, 10:59:28 pm »
I've actually asked them to do it and they replied that they would consider the suggestion    $good$

BUT that was before they dumped the quarry waste on the North Shore beach        :'(

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #784 on: October 04, 2017, 09:26:02 pm »
I reckon they blow that sand over to keep Jennings in work

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #785 on: October 05, 2017, 07:49:11 pm »
Thanks for the info on the sand problem on the West Shore , I do sympathise with the residents can you imagine what damage this sand is doing to your property and your car how do you keep it from blowing under your roof tiles , why did the CCBC allow it to happen ? has anybody admitted that they made a mistake . I sometimes despair at the schemes and ideas put forward by the council and the so called professionals .

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #786 on: October 05, 2017, 08:20:22 pm »
After this week the sand is even worse, my car was covered with a film of the stuff and we live 3/4 mile away.

It was also so far into the boating lake that the swans looked to be standing on top of the water as there was only an inch of it left. The rest was sand.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #787 on: October 05, 2017, 09:07:57 pm »
Thanks for the info on the sand problem on the West Shore , I do sympathise with the residents can you imagine what damage this sand is doing to your property and your car how do you keep it from blowing under your roof tiles , why did the CCBC allow it to happen ? has anybody admitted that they made a mistake . I sometimes despair at the schemes and ideas put forward by the council and the so called professionals .

It's a man made environmental disaster that should never have been allowed to happen.    Locals told the Council what the consequences would be but they didn't listen.  Consultants were employed and came up with a sea defence that has backfired spectacularly and instead of paying these consultants a big fat fee they should have sued them instead.  Unfortunately the nodding donkeys at CCBC backed the idea and we are left with what you see now.
They have not and probably will not admit that they dropped a monumental clanger here

Offline Hugo

« Reply #788 on: October 05, 2017, 09:46:45 pm »
Just as an add on Robbie G there was an article in the local paper about a man who had a nursing home on the West Shore front.  The house has now been demolished and town houses built on the site.
I had a chat with him some time after the article was published in the paper and he told me that 10 ton of sand had to be removed from his front garden and in addition he had about two inches of sand on the floor of his attic that had blown in.  The sand lay above the ceilings of the bedrooms of his residents.
This problem only started after the lunatics gave the go ahead for the new sea defence

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #789 on: October 06, 2017, 08:12:52 am »
CCBC backed the idea and we are left with what you see now.
They have not and probably will not admit that they dropped a monumental clanger here

But they learnt - which is why they dumped rubble instead of sand on the North Shore.  :) :) :)

In fact, dealing with 'consultants' is akin to herding fish. They never state anything as absolutes, or give guarantees. They will always say 'should' and 'hopefully', so suing them isn't an option.  The other side of the coin is that we can bet anything that CCBC will not have opted for the recommended scheme, since they would want to keep costs to a minimum.

Even given the council's  natural proclivity for not spending money where it matters, or for those councillors who manage to stay awake during meetings not to exert their somewhat rudimentary intellects in questioning the scheme's proposals, one would have thought at least one person might have raised the point about the prevailing winds.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline mull

« Reply #790 on: October 17, 2017, 09:00:30 pm »
How is West Shore looking after Mondays storm ?

Offline Mike

« Reply #791 on: October 19, 2017, 07:21:39 pm »
THe sand used to move along with the wave action in the deganwy direction but because of the stone groynes it cant, so there is a net loss at Deganwy and the main beach in front of the Deganwy promenade where the Kiosk is now no longer sandy, the beach level drops exposing the foudations of the promenade and then resulted in the waves hydraulic pressure getting under the prom and blowing it away hence the need for a new section of promenade at huge cost.
Even new stones were purchased for Deganwy beach (cost £30-50K IIRC) as Natural resoures wales said the vegatation (weeds) in the stones and tarmac bits from where it had eroded couldnt be disturbed. Net result £40k ish to keep the weeds..
The beach level is still dropping at deganwy as the stones bought have now also moved along but not been replenished by material drifing along from West Shore and the foundations of the next section of promenade are now partly exposed.
If they took the groynes away maybe it would all sort itself out naturally.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #792 on: October 19, 2017, 11:11:10 pm »
That's interesting to hear what you have to say about the beach and I'm sorry that it has happened in Deganwy.     Those experts on the sea defence don't seem to learn from their repeated mistakes.
The incoming tide on the West Shore races past the Great Orme and the wooden groynes used to stem and also filter the flow of water coming along the shoreline.
When the incoming tide reached the sand hills the flow must have slowed down and deposited some sand there and the Black rocks would have also reduced the power of the incoming tide going to Deganwy.
It's not nature that has caused the problems, it's a man made disaster.   Locals forecast what would happen when they did the sea defence and sadly they have been proved right.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #793 on: October 20, 2017, 08:35:26 am »
Could be interesting this weekend with another storm and Spring tides plus a lot of rain, I believe.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #794 on: October 20, 2017, 12:09:33 pm »
I think we must look beyond just the stone breakwater ,the tunnel dredging has changed the river flow and direction coupled with the local authority pontoons which has slowed down the ebb tide.I went for a walk to the perch nav light the other day ,and noticed the beach level had dropped by at least 3feet , revealing an old fishing Weir.I was born at West Shore and looking at old family photos sand Inthe gardens was a problem then.Its not a simple fix I'm afraid.