Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 360274 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #840 on: March 12, 2018, 11:01:30 am »
I see work has started by the café this morning.
Very Driech morning there , enough water to start a new lido, perhaps that's what it will be.

Lovely morning up here,I will have to get out in the garden. So good yesterday the chap over the road cut his grass. Still think it is a bit early for that.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #841 on: March 15, 2018, 03:20:54 pm »
The clean up of the sand from around the boating lake has finished, well for now anyway.    So where did they dump the sand?       I didn't see for certain but there were tell tale signs of deposits of sand above the high water mark         &shake&

Even CCBC  must realise that the beach level will be getting higher and higher and that the sand will be drier and lighter than the sand on the natural beach so as a consequence the wind will blow it back over the wall quicker than before.  Eventually I suppose they'll be cleaning the promenade more often than they have black bin collections.

Jennings won't complain as it's a nice regular earner for the firm.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #842 on: March 15, 2018, 04:32:37 pm »
In fairness Hugo they did dump the sand about 50 yards below high water , :o :oat least while I was watching

Offline Hugo

« Reply #843 on: March 15, 2018, 05:13:50 pm »
You've got more bottle than me Spotty dog because when they were working I got out of the car but immediately got back in it again as it was so cold so I never saw where they actually put it.
That heap of sand in the first photo doesn't seem to have been affected by the tide so I presume that it's above the high water mark

That's the same spot that they dumped the sand exactly three years ago

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #844 on: March 15, 2018, 05:18:27 pm »
I had my grandchild with me he was intrigued by the diggers so spent a cold hour watching

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #845 on: March 15, 2018, 08:01:49 pm »
I hope none of them mounds of sand are out of the lake , usually they spread the sand out ( so it takes a few weeks before blowing back ) 😡

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #846 on: March 15, 2018, 08:26:15 pm »
Well at 12.00hrs last Friday they were dumping well down the beach, I suppose as the tide came in they decided what the hell and dumped  it anywhere

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #847 on: March 16, 2018, 08:31:49 am »
We walked along the cycle path from West Shore to Conwy yesterday and saw that the path had been cleared of sand yet again. The section by the Pumping Station at West Shore has been washed away by the tide, so is having to be rebuilt.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #848 on: March 16, 2018, 05:03:12 pm »
Thats good to know Dave, I much prefer to ride to work in Deganwy along the path, than on the main road amongst the unhinged tour bus drivers

Offline Hugo

« Reply #849 on: March 16, 2018, 05:18:47 pm »
Make the most of the next few days then Mondie because the sand is coming back, very soon.          ;D

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor

Offline SteveH

« Reply #851 on: March 25, 2018, 04:37:05 pm »
Looks like Jenning's have finished,   work site cleared,        never mind we will be seeing them soon      :twoface:

Offline SteveH

« Reply #852 on: May 18, 2018, 10:08:31 am »
2018 Coast Award winners announced
Keep Wales Tidy has unveiled the 91 sites across the country that have met the high standards needed to receive the prestigious Blue Flag, Green Coast Award and Seaside Award – a total of 149 awards for Wales.

Westshore and Colwyn Bay receive Blue Flags and North Shore get a Seaside Award.

https://www.keepwalestidy.cymru/news/2018-coast-award-winners

Offline Hugo

« Reply #853 on: May 23, 2018, 02:19:54 pm »
It was such a lovely day today that I had a walk along the cycle track at the West Shore but only as far as the rock groyne where the Black Rocks used to be.   The sand is starting to come back on the track but bicycle tracks were evident in the few inches of sand that was on the track so cyclists should make the most of it now.

What I did notice though was a significant change at that end of the beach.  A massive sand dune has built up at the end of the groyne and I was wondering if this has any bearing on the lower levels of sand in Deganwy as reported by another forum member?

I had a look out for the life rafts that were put on the sandbanks in case anyone is stranded on them but the only one I could see was the one level with the Black Rocks and quite a way out.  Is there another one much nearer the cafe or boating lake?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #854 on: June 25, 2018, 09:15:05 am »
Another rescue from the sandbanks on the West Shore and the 21 people were lucky this time but with the recent hot weather and the increasing number of tourists this situation might get worse.  We have talked about it before but when I last walked on the West Shore I could only see one life raft and that was nearer Deganwy than Llandudno.   Is there another one between the car park and the Toll house?

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/16311155.Twenty_one_people_on_sandbanks_in_West_Shore_rescued_by_coastguard_after_finding_themselves_in__quot_imminent_quot_danger/