Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 573334 times)

Offline Neil

Re: Stop Press
« Reply #1560 on: August 02, 2017, 10:15:45 pm »
If you want to go any further than Chester in a electric car you might have a problem with the cars range before recharging, if you normally never go further than Tesco there is absolutely no point in spending the extra money for an electric car, they are total bullshit!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1561 on: August 02, 2017, 10:32:42 pm »
I wouldn't mind going to Tesco in this vehicle though

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1562 on: August 03, 2017, 12:15:10 am »
If you want to go any further than Chester in a electric car you might have a problem with the cars range before recharging, if you normally never go further than Tesco there is absolutely no point in spending the extra money for an electric car, they are total bullshit!

So, how many different electric cars have you driven in an urban environment or on a daily commute from suburbia into the city to arrive at your considered opinion?
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1563 on: August 03, 2017, 08:53:15 am »
Electric vehicle technology is still in the process of being refined, but is coming along in leaps and bounds. I have a subscription to Autocar and every week there are announcements of electric cars from all the major manufacturers. I reckon it will be less than 15 years before we see the 'tipping point' in sales that results in the vast majority of vehicles being electric. Locally, I've seen a couple of Teslas and a few BMW i3s already.

Electric vehicle UK stats:
http://www.nextgreencar.com/electric-cars/statistics/

Offline DVT

« Reply #1564 on: August 03, 2017, 08:56:28 am »
Like the look of that BMW but suspect you won't get a week's shopping into it!

I have spoken to a number of hybrid car owners when they have been recharging in Bodnant - Vauxhall Ampera (looks nice and is very quick off the mark) has a range of about 45 miles, the owner said it was ideal for him as work was 40 miles from home and he could recharge at work - not sure what the situation would be if a number of his colleagues tried to do the same.

I have also seen a few Teslas, small BMW, Golf, Toyota and Mitsubishi ... all the drivers I have spoken to do rely on using fossil fuel.

www.zap-map.com gives you the locations of charging points - three in Llandudno (St George and Imperial Hotels), one on Sychant Pass, one in Bodnant (there are actually two but one is a low charge) and two in Penmaenmawr - so even if just us on this forum went electric there would be a struggle ... there needs to be a lot more before those in charge (pun!) decide we all have to go electric.  And how much pollution will it create to build the infrastructure, and afterwards from the power stations required?

Electric cars may be OK around cities where there would be some infrastructure but totally useless here in rural north Wales.

Perhaps this is a better alternative, but does need the infrastructure.  I'm told that the water emitted is pure enough you can drink it!
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/clarity-fcv/93321/new-honda-clarity-fcv-2017-review

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1565 on: August 03, 2017, 09:34:38 am »
Most electric plug-in cars only use around 1.5kv, apparently, and that drops as the charge level increases. Electric cars are wonderful to drive: smooth, silent and very, very fast. Our youngest's hybrid Merc has the fastest acceleration  of any car I've been in.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1566 on: August 03, 2017, 10:23:00 am »
Electric cars are superb in suburban and city environments, and, as most households now run two cars, excellent in North Wales as a second car for commuting or shopping when a diesel or petrol never reaches a proper operating temperature. Someone I know commutes from Llandudno to Caernarfon every day in a pure electric car, and a couple of nearby retired people have a pure electric cars for their local journeys and travel to see their relatives further afield by train. They are good, and in the next few years, the technology will develop exponentially. 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1567 on: August 03, 2017, 10:44:20 am »
US researchers have only just discovered a new type of Aluminium which produces hydrogen gas in substantial amounts when water is trickled across it. So the Hydrogen fuel cell car might be a step closer.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2142693-nano-aluminium-offers-fuel-cells-on-demand-just-add-water/
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1568 on: August 03, 2017, 03:51:34 pm »
Just a warning based on rumours, that there are travelers in Llandudno and on the Orme, lifting bikes etc. from gardens and open garages.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1569 on: August 12, 2017, 01:08:30 pm »
A statement from the Food Standards Agency said: “Peter’s Food Service Ltd recalls several baked meat and vegetarian pasty products because they may contain glass fragments.
“Products include ASDA, LIDL and Peter’s brand products.
“Peter’s Food Service has recalled the products as they may contain glass fragments.”

The products recalled include:....
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/supermarkets-recall-welsh-pastries-over-13467404

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1571 on: September 08, 2017, 09:28:54 am »
Major disruption on North Wales railways as flooding has closed the Bangor to Holyhead rail line
Amazing, was there really that much rain overnight?!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1572 on: September 08, 2017, 11:04:57 am »
There was another deluge in Colwyn Bay about 20 minutes ago,  I know that because I got caught up in it taking our dog for a walk.   Absolutely drenched the pair of us were and I'm still drying off now.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1573 on: October 02, 2017, 09:56:29 am »
Monarch flights cancelled as airline ceases trading.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41464934

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1574 on: October 02, 2017, 11:14:27 am »
I seem to remember we broke news about that more than a year ago. UK airline industry seems in a poor state at the moment.