Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 573207 times)

Offline dwsi

Re: Stop Press
« Reply #330 on: April 03, 2012, 09:33:14 pm »
This the vessels track as of 20:55 tonight

Offline dogstail

« Reply #331 on: April 03, 2012, 10:06:46 pm »
Oooh gosh, hope everyone will be ok. Very rough out there tonight, there are two ships sheltering this side (conwy) of the Orme. 

They have closed off part off the A55 at Llandulas for the helicopter to land.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #332 on: April 03, 2012, 10:49:56 pm »
Rescue in Llanddulas as cargo ship hits rocks.

A rescue operation is underway after a cargo ship ran aground off the Conwy coast in rough seas

Two lifeboats and a helicopter were called at 20:30 BST on Tuesday after the ship hit a rock near a quarry jetty at Llanddulas, near Colwyn Bay.

The RNLI said the ship was a German commercial vessel and had eight crew members on board.

The A55 eastbound between junction 22 and junction 23 will be closed from 22:00 BST for the helicopter to land.

It is believed the ship is a coaster, which uses the jetty to load limestone.

The RNLI said the vessel hit a rock on the breakwater at Llanddulas.

It said the Llandudno and Rhyl all-weather lifeboats launched into a "full gale and rough seas" at 20:30 BST and arrived on scene by 21:00 BST.

It added that due to the "challenging weather conditions" and the ship's proximity to the shore, the volunteer crew on both lifeboats were on standby nearby as they waited for the RAF helicopter to provide extra assistance.

DaveR, please note the BBC request:

Are you in the area? Did you see the rescue operation? Please send us your pictures and videos.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #333 on: April 03, 2012, 10:52:07 pm »
I sincerely hope that everyone from the vessel, and the emergency services are safe by the end of this night.

Is that vessel the sister ship of the one that sank off Llandulas last year?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline dwsi

« Reply #334 on: April 03, 2012, 10:54:48 pm »
the three towns forum resident paparazzi on the ground, AKA DaveR is there now taking photos. pictures on the way.  $good$

video of ship http://bit.ly/H72UIC

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #335 on: April 03, 2012, 11:10:40 pm »
Horrible situation, the waves are absolutely massive, breaking right over the ship which is now firmly wedged on the rocks at the side of Llanddulas Jetty.

One horrible quality photo, taken from quarter of a mile way in driving wind and rain! You can see the A55, the ship and the massive wave breaking over it. The RAF helicopter searchlight is shining down onto it.

Your reporter on the ground is now back home, thawing out!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #336 on: April 03, 2012, 11:12:23 pm »
A very dramatic picture..... well done
Fester...

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #337 on: April 03, 2012, 11:14:34 pm »
Hear Hear.

I do hope the crew manage to get off safely.  ££$

Offline dwsi

« Reply #338 on: April 03, 2012, 11:18:14 pm »
5 out of 7 have been rescued so far

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #339 on: April 03, 2012, 11:40:46 pm »
Another shot:

Offline dwsi

« Reply #340 on: April 03, 2012, 11:54:55 pm »
helicopter has returned to RAF Valley with a broken winch. Winchman and 2 crew still onboard the ship

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #341 on: April 04, 2012, 12:35:20 am »
Rescue Helecopter 128 from Leconfield has arrived 00.32 bst

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #342 on: April 04, 2012, 07:12:42 am »
Rescue in Llanddulas as cargo ship hits rocks

Seven crew members have been rescued from a stricken cargo ship that ran aground off the Conwy coast in rough seas.

Two lifeboats and a helicopter were called at 20:30 BST on Tuesday after the ship hit a rock near a quarry jetty at Llanddulas, near Colwyn Bay.

An operation to refloat the stricken vessel is expected to begin later.

Concerns now are that the ship's fuel tanks may have been ruptured and pollution crews are on alert.

The Marine and Coastguard Agency (MCA) said the cargo ship was in one piece following the incident, but the fear was that it could begin to leak some of the 40,000 litres of fuel it is carrying.

A Welsh Government spokesman said: "The Welsh Government is closely monitoring the emerging situation at Llanddulas.

"We are being kept fully informed of developments."

The RNLI said the vessel - thought to be a coaster, which used the jetty to load limestone - hit a rock on the breakwater at Llanddulas and ended up broadside on the shore.

It added that the Llandudno and Rhyl all-weather lifeboats launched into a "full gale and rough seas" at 20:30 BST and arrived on scene by 21:00 BST.

Five of the Polish crew were successfully rescued by midnight but two remained on board with a helicopter winchman after the rescue helicopter's winch broke.

The A55 eastbound between junction 22 and junction 23 was closed from 22:00 BST to allow the helicopter to land and take-off.

The 82m-long (269ft) ship was registered in Antigua and Barbuda.

A Marine and Coastguard Agency spokesman said: "It is not yet clear what the reason was for this ship running aground."

Eyewitness Sophie Madeley, from Llandudno Junction, told the BBC the rescue teams had done an "amazing" job.

"I have watched this all night and was stood next to the A55 for the rescue, my high respect goes out to the pilot of the helicopter for the amazing work I watched him do, and also out to the crew for battling it through what has happened."

"I have watched this all night and was stood next to the A55 for the rescue, my high respect goes out to the pilot of the helicopter for the amazing work I watched him do, and also out to the crew for battling it through what has happened."

The grounding comes just months after another vessel - the Swanland - got into difficulties in the same area and sank on 27 November after loading with limestone at the jetty.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #343 on: April 04, 2012, 08:01:59 am »
The A55 will remain closed until about 10am this morning.

Looks like being a massive tide at Colwyn Bay this morning. Waves are already breaking onto the Prom and tigh tide is not until 9.44.

Let's hope the Pier survives...  :o

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #344 on: April 04, 2012, 08:32:02 am »
With the gales coming from the North, Llandudno Bay itself will also be getting battered, which is less usual than the winds coming from the West.

So, when I summon up some courage, I will venture to Llandudno Pier, at high tide, with trepidation to see what its like down there.
Fester...