Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 573559 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #570 on: December 14, 2012, 06:11:16 pm »
I usually go to the Bulkeley Hotel, Dwsi.  ;) A very High Tide today, photo courtesy Ye Olde Bulls Head Inn & Townhouse:

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #571 on: December 14, 2012, 06:29:03 pm »
Max tide at Beaumaris was at 8.55 this morning with 8.2 metres above datum being expected.  This evening down to 8.0 metres.   ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #572 on: December 14, 2012, 06:53:09 pm »
Highest tide forecast is 8.30 metres at 11.45 tomorrow (15th).   Z**
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #573 on: December 14, 2012, 07:26:13 pm »
That equates to 10.56am in Llandudno, for High Tide watchers!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast_and_sea/tide_tables

Offline romanjohn

Re: Stop Press southparade pier viable for re build yes or no
« Reply #574 on: December 14, 2012, 10:32:00 pm »
 hi Dave R concensus of opinion is scrap it rebuild it or cpo. my club members 70 all told .when we are on the canoe lake it is in our sight most of the time sailing our boats and doing our displays . Our local council would bury there heads in the sand ohh we dont have much on our beach hmm I wonder if any is going spare anywhere hmm, the pier. There was no one from the noble organisation the owners of  the Brighton pier since 1984 they put Brighton pier up for sale last year did not meet reserve price. they invested  35 million. just been looking at  bits from Portsmouth news small pressure group wanting to save the pier dont think it will happen they need cash and will not get it  from the council or local goverment. The chap that runs the amusement centre locked himself in overnight for fear of the owners breaking in there is a dispute over rent, well I have come to the conclusion I will never be a novelist.  romanjohn.                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #575 on: December 15, 2012, 08:38:24 am »
That equates to 10.56am in Llandudno, for High Tide watchers!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast_and_sea/tide_tables

Oh dear-- if it is a rough day all the Fancy Dress Fun Runners will be paddling !
11am start.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Stop Press southparade pier viable for re build yes or no
« Reply #576 on: December 15, 2012, 08:49:41 am »
hi Dave R concensus of opinion is scrap it rebuild it or cpo. my club members 70 all told .when we are on the canoe lake it is in our sight most of the time sailing our boats and doing our displays . Our local council would bury there heads in the sand ohh we dont have much on our beach hmm I wonder if any is going spare anywhere hmm, the pier. There was no one from the noble organisation the owners of  the Brighton pier since 1984 they put Brighton pier up for sale last year did not meet reserve price. they invested  35 million. just been looking at  bits from Portsmouth news small pressure group wanting to save the pier dont think it will happen they need cash and will not get it  from the council or local goverment. The chap that runs the amusement centre locked himself in overnight for fear of the owners breaking in there is a dispute over rent, well I have come to the conclusion I will never be a novelist.  romanjohn.                                                                                                                                                                       
Thanks for the info, John.  $good$

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Santa Run in aid of Ty Gobaith today
« Reply #577 on: December 16, 2012, 12:21:04 pm »
There was a good turn out today for the Santa Run, despite the showery weather (and S4C holding up the works :o)
The brave lady with the green face is an associate from the band of volunteers who man the shop in Llandudno.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #578 on: December 20, 2012, 09:26:37 pm »
A man aged 38 has been taken to hospital with serious leg injuries after his car plunged 80 metres down a gully off Sychnant Pass Road in Conwy in a dramatic crash this afternoon.
Police were alerted to a blue Citroen Xsara Picasso at 3.57pm but details have only just emerged.
Officers are appealing for witnesses to the incident to contact PC447 Threlfall at the Roads Policing Unit on 101.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #579 on: December 26, 2012, 09:59:52 pm »
Sewage on the streets, and risks to health in Llandudno Junction, due to these floods!

See here...  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-20838025
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #580 on: December 27, 2012, 07:58:28 am »
I appreciate it's an unsavoury situation, but politicians simply can't help themselves, it seems:

"Goodness knows what germs are in there. Is there any wonder that there's all the illnesses doing the rounds when people are walking through that?

So the seasonal illnesses are due to sewer overload in Llandudno Junction? Wonder how he explains that they're nationwide at the moment, then? And we know pretty well what 'germs' are in there: the pathogens present in sewerage are well known and easily dealt with, although they can induce some nasty stomach conditions if ingested.  However, they do have to be ingested, so basic hygiene is what he ought to be stressing, not attempting to scare the Junction residents with half-baked, ill-thought through and highly inaccurate  comments.

"In one road - Broad Street - it forces pedestrians onto a busy main road when pavements are flooded and children also walk through this contaminated water on the way to school."

Edited for accuracy
  The schools aren't in for another ten days, although I appreciate he's talking generally.   But playing the 'children are at risk' card is a safe bet for politicians, and by not stressing - again - the need for basic hygiene all he manages to do is gain more publicity for himself and embarrass Welsh Water.

Now, it's entirely possible he didn't actually say any of this, and that a sub has inserted the comments to make the article more controversial;  it has happened and, if that's the case, I unreservedly apologise to Cllr Priestly.  But if he did say what's been attributed to him then my only question is why he hasn't stressed the need for basic hygiene. Because that's what will alleviate the spread of illness more effectively than anything else.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 11:44:21 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian48

« Reply #581 on: December 27, 2012, 09:47:40 am »
I think that's a rather unfair post. I didn't see anything wrong with what Priestley said at all. As the man has children himself I think he knows perfectly when the holiday dates are. If you read the article and get the same meaning from it as I do, he is talking in a general sense of when the rain has fallen lately, not specifically in the last few days.

He has a duty as an elected representative to voice the concerns of his electors and God knows, if I had s**t floating down my street I would want my local representatives to do their best to stop it.  And whether or not the illnesses are national, it can hardly be good for people to be exposed to raw sewage.

So, in short, I think your post was rather uncalled for and was a bit of an unwarranted dig to be honest.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #582 on: December 27, 2012, 09:55:40 am »
Have the new builds on Marl and Victoria Drive made things worse?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #583 on: December 27, 2012, 11:32:57 am »
So, in short, I think your post was rather uncalled for and was a bit of an unwarranted dig to be honest.

Fair enough, and I don't have any problem with most of what he said;  but he does seem to be equating seasonal illness with the sewerage issue "Is there any wonder that there's all the illnesses doing the rounds when people are walking through that?". which, to me, seems unwarranted and inaccurate and I still wonder why he hasn't stressed the need for basic hygiene practices which, since he has children himself, I'd have expected him to do.  I don't know him, personally. and he's well regarded, I agree.  I also appreciate rhetoric is an important tool of the politician.  However, I also feel politicians have a duty to try to be accurate and informative in what they're saying. Do you really think the relevant parts of that interview were either?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #584 on: December 27, 2012, 11:39:57 am »
I agree  with Ian.    :D
Cicero