Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 573364 times)

Offline Jack

Re: Stop Press
« Reply #855 on: February 12, 2014, 06:26:28 pm »
Road closed around Asda due to fallen tree; area around PC World closed due to a piece of roof 'the size of an aircraft wing' peeling off and alot of debris (slates and shop signs) flying around the station and Augusta Street areas of Llandudno.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #856 on: February 12, 2014, 07:14:58 pm »
Thanks, Jack.  It'll be really useful if folk can post road closure events in here.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #857 on: February 12, 2014, 07:22:56 pm »
The A470 was and possibly is still closed due a tree falling on to a car between the Black Cat roundabout and Glan Conwy.  I think this must have happened about ten minutes after I drove along that same stretch of road  :o.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #858 on: February 12, 2014, 07:28:00 pm »
The A470 has been reopened.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Jack

« Reply #859 on: February 12, 2014, 07:37:57 pm »
Police clearing a fallen tree on Abergele Road, Colwyn Bay near the memorial garden.

Offline Jack

« Reply #860 on: February 12, 2014, 07:39:08 pm »
Tree down on Brompton Avenue, Rhos on Sea.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #861 on: February 13, 2014, 10:45:06 am »
Still have all my candles and torches out and in place. I was sure we would lose the power last night. Were there any cuts in the area?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #862 on: February 13, 2014, 11:22:38 am »
The lights flickered a few times during the early evening.

Strong winds promised again for tomorrow but from the South East as opposed to yesterdays westerlies. I wonder if it will blow all my dislodged and angled at 45 degrees shrubs and trees back straight.

Unfortunately my favourite, and that of the nesting goldfinches we get each year,  a mature blue flowering  Ceanothus and also  a mexican orange blossom  snapped completely and are now on their way to the great garden centre in the sky.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #863 on: February 13, 2014, 02:29:08 pm »
Still have all my candles and torches out and in place. I was sure we would lose the power last night. Were there any cuts in the area?

Nem, I was in Cafe Indulgence this morning, and several people from further up Conwy Valley were there, who had all lost power at 6pm yesterday.
Some had stayed with friends, others had stayed in a hotel, but the power was still not on this morning.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #864 on: February 13, 2014, 03:59:56 pm »
Rowen is also powerless.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #865 on: February 19, 2014, 02:48:40 pm »

Unfortunately my favourite, and that of the nesting goldfinches we get each year,  a mature blue flowering  Ceanothus and also  a mexican orange blossom  snapped completely and are now on their way to the great garden centre in the sky.

I really felt for you losing your ceanothus. It is also one of my favourites. This one was almost completely written off after that very cold winter a few years back. Anyway it was cut back hard and I noticed today that it is flowering already. Spring really must be just around the corner, (fingers crossed).

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #866 on: February 20, 2014, 06:50:51 am »
For those wondering why Llandudno Junction is closed to traffic from Black Cat at the moment, it seems there's a gas leak which they cannot locate.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #867 on: February 23, 2014, 07:43:12 pm »
If you have an iPad or iPhone running OS7 go to system prefs / software update and follow the instructions.  It's an important update.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #868 on: February 23, 2014, 09:48:30 pm »
If you have an iPad or iPhone running OS7 go to system prefs / software update and follow the instructions.  It's an important update.

Apple released iOS 7.0.6 to patch a vulnerability, which if unpatched could allow attackers to capture or modify data in sessions protected by SSL/TLS. However, quite a few users have reported that the upgrade didn’t go as planned and their iDevices have been bricked after the update or during the update process.

Users have flocked to Twitter as well as Apple support forums voicing their concerns and frustrations as quite a few users have tried updating their iOS 7 devices while on the move and once bricked, their iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch requires a connection to iTunes to restart.

“Updated my iPhone 5s to 7.0.6 and the phone won’t turn back on”, wrote one user on Apple Support. “Same problem here. 7.0.6 completely bricked my IPhone 5s. It won’t turn on or restore”, wrote another user.

Some of the users were able to enter recovery mode and then after a factory reset managed to restore their last backup to get their iDevice working, but quite a few were not lucky.

“I had the same thing happen last night, but I’m unable to restore. iTunes detects my phone… even though the serial number field says N/A. But, when I press Restore it gives me an iTunes Error #11 and stops”, wrote one user.

“Warning: Apple iOS 7.0.6 bricked my device. Loses all data, requires iTunes cable. Common occurrence for others also. Do not install!” wrote one user on Twitter.

“iOS 7.0.6. Bricked my iPad Air. Help @AppStore :(,” wrote another.

The issue doesn’t seem to be widespread as there are relatively less entries on both Twitter and Apple Support; however, we recommend that users first backup their devices before they hit the update button and only go about doing it if they have their iTunes loaded system with them in case the update fails.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #869 on: February 24, 2014, 08:40:17 am »
That's actually not the issue.  Apple patched that particular bug last Friday, but then a far more serious flaw was discovered, which affects SSL encryption. It's caused by a 'trivial programming error', the full details of which are here"

https://www.imperialviolet.org/2014/02/22/applebug.html

Incredibly, there are too many 'Goto's in the code, which means SSL isn't secure until patched.  Since we rely on SSL for all our banking, shopping, etc. it isn't safe to use anything which deploys Apple's own SSL library.  In effect. that means Safari, Mail and iMessage.  Firefox and Chrome use their own, so they're okay.