Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 570847 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #1306 on: January 03, 2018, 06:14:49 pm »
Just read the Daily Post report.

The hotel was know as North Western Hotel in my younger days.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1307 on: January 03, 2018, 06:25:16 pm »
Years before that it was two hotels, the Castle Hotel nearest the prom and the Temperance Hotel nearest the Railway Station.
My G Grandfather had the Temperance Hotel and our family were known in the town as Hughes Temperance but we're still trying to live that name down.     Z**    Z**

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1308 on: January 07, 2018, 12:14:04 pm »
Are Developers sitting on land banks and not developing them?        I suppose that we have an example in this area with the Penmorfa Hotel where planning was obtained years ago and nothing ever done with the application and now there is talk of another variation to that application.   

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiusK2k6MXYAhVLD8AKHZyFDksQFggnMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fcities%2F2017%2Fjan%2F31%2Fbritain-land-housing-crisis-developers-not-building-land-banking&usg=AOvVaw0KGn6CduKgJi1WG-YtCeWm

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1309 on: January 18, 2018, 09:50:57 pm »
At last something is happening at ' The Grand Ash'. Workmen are filling skips as fast as they can.

Still nothing at 'The Royal'

Working like mad at the Grand Ash still.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1310 on: February 13, 2018, 07:24:52 am »
I wonder if this would have applied to the Penmorfa Hotel and other sites that have already had outline planning granted?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-41776068

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1311 on: March 15, 2018, 11:21:41 am »
Looks like the Penmorfa Hotel project may go to the back of the queue again.      What will CCBC do now about this eyesore?

https://businessnewswales.com/flintshire-based-anwyl-construction-secure-11-3m-contract-for-new-care-home/

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1312 on: April 11, 2018, 10:42:39 am »
Looks like the Penmorfa Hotel project may go to the back of the queue again.      What will CCBC do now about this eyesore?

Decade after 'Alice in Wonderland' hotel demolished the site still remains empty
Developer Anwyl urged to bring forward a sensitive scheme to replace the historic property.

Housing managing director at Anwyl Homes, Mathew Anwyl, commented: “We have recently made a pre planning application to adjust the scheme that already has approval and are currently preparing the details for another pre-application community consultation.”     &shake&

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/decade-after-alice-wonderland-hotel-14515430

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1313 on: April 11, 2018, 10:59:09 am »
Anwyl have used one trick after another on this site and CCBC should have stepped in a long time ago to stop it.    There is a lesson to be learnt in dealing with these developers because it can happen again at the Castle Hotel and Pier Pavilion site

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1314 on: April 11, 2018, 11:23:49 am »
I think they play a waiting game, when all the fuss has died down, they get their own way, especially when they are "urged" to move forward, this only strengthens their hand.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1315 on: April 14, 2018, 12:28:45 pm »
They certainly have played a waiting game Steve      &shake&

They originally applied for planning in 2006 and were granted planning forabout 25 apartments but the condition was that the new side extensions could be demolished but the centre and original section was to remain

They demolished the side sections and then waited until their wilful neglect of the property meant that it was not "viable" to keep the centre section so they applied to demolish the centre section and build 28 apartments and that was granted.   By the way the plans for the 28 apartments looked good and in keeping with the original building and surroundings

The centre section was quickly demolished and they waited and waited and waited and by 2013 they had alleged that work had commenced on the building by the fact that a pipe had been laid into the site!

Then they waited and waited and now appear to be talking to CCBC  about a new plan that looks like something from Legoland and the apartments have increased from 28 to about 50

The last photo is of a painting by Dean Liddell who had the Penmorfa House built

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1316 on: April 20, 2018, 01:36:01 pm »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1317 on: April 20, 2018, 04:26:14 pm »
I'd like to know the outcome of that dispute but it's a good job that the dog was restrained.     Seeing the video hasn't improved my views on developers and they are still up there with politicians and bankers in my opinion

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1318 on: April 23, 2018, 08:33:59 am »
I'd like to know the outcome of that dispute but it's a good job that the dog was restrained.     Seeing the video hasn't improved my views on developers and they are still up there with politicians and bankers in my opinion
I've had encounters with Elwyn in the past, he thinks he's the Equalizer.  ;D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1319 on: April 23, 2018, 12:27:58 pm »
I walked past the old Llandudno Youth Centre last week and the place is in a mess and the developer doesn't seem to be in much of a hurry to demolish it.   I feel sorry for the residents nearby who will have to put up with this lack of activity for many years to come.
What is it with these people?   They try every trick in the book to get their planning application passed and then they just sit on it and do little or nothing.

Mostyn Estates' other property the former Castle Hotel is just the same and I've not seen any activity on the site recently.   If the developer alleged that it was unstable before what would it be like now after months of neglect and the bad Winter that we've had?
If it has to be demolished then they should be made to do it asap before it becomes even more dangerous and also before the tourist season.