Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 570891 times)

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Re: Llandudno Eyesores
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 12:03:40 pm »
I was looking at the Anwyl builders site trying to find out how much their new houses are on the West Shore.  They didn't have it but do have a Penmmorfa site for a block of flats where Gogarth Abbey was.  Is this an old project or something they are going to be doing?

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Llandudno Eyesores
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 01:13:32 pm »
Anwyl bought the site for a reputed £2.4 million after outline planning permission was obtained.  Obviously it has been a highly controversial project and was purchased with an option to buy subject to them getting planning permission.
The application was to demolish the newer extensions at either side of the main building but to retain the main part of the building and I believe that they wanted to build 29 apartments on the site.
They demolished the side extensions but left the main building.  This was then either deliberately or neglectfully allowed to deteriorate and they then made a further application to demolish the remaining building and to add insult to injury they also applied for an extra 5 apartments to be built!
I have read on the old forum somewhere that Anwyl are restricting their major building projects so I don't think that these apartments will be built while the present economic conditions prevail.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 04:39:02 pm »
Another eyesore to add to the list is the Deganwy Castle Hotel. The front doesn't look too bad but have a wander around the back and you can see the extent of the deterioration. Broken windows, rendering falling off, peeling paintwork....it looks a really sorry state. I'm genuinely amazed that there isn't the hotel or pub operator out there with the vision and money to take full advantage of this building's amazing location.

The Hotel is up for sale, I believe the asking price is around £1million, a figure that i suspect reflects its value as a potential apartment block rather than a decaying hotel. The Brochure is here:
http://www.egpropertylink.com/Assets/GetAsset.aspx?ItemID=4053543

« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 08:42:15 pm by DaveR »

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 06:02:40 pm »
It's amazing how quickly empty premises seem to deteriorate - buddlia and sedum especially soon get a hold.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 04:27:35 am »
It's a magnificent building in great surroundings, there must be enough potential for someone to take it on.  Let's hope it doesn't becme another Tudno Castle.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 08:46:13 am »
The problem is that the price isn't realistic for a hotel operator to take it on. It would need to be probably £500,000 or less for a deal to make sense for them.

But the owner of the site knows that, just as with the Penmorfa Hotel, its worth far, far more as a development site than as a hotel. It all comes down to £££££ at the end of the day, which is a great shame. It's a potentially fantastic hotel in a great location, that would create jobs and buy supplies from other local businesses. Not to mention the hotel guests spending their money in Deganwy and the surrounding area. All that financial benefit to the local economy is lost forever if the hotel is demolished and rebuilt as apartments.

Maybe the Planning laws should be changed so that CCBC would have the power to designate certain outstanding buildings as 'Protected Usage'. In the case of the Deganwy Castle Hotel, it would mean that it could only be used as a hotel and no application for any change of use would be accepted.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 11:09:50 am »
Under CONWY I would like to add

THE FORMER BILLINGTON'S GARAGE SITE

Anyone know what the up to date is on this eyesore?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 03:30:55 pm »
Under CONWY I would like to add

THE FORMER BILLINGTON'S GARAGE SITE

Anyone know what the up to date is on this eyesore?
My pleasure, Stan.  :) I've also added in a few other Conwy favourites, namely:

Black Lion
Fruit N Fibre Shop
Red Lion/'The Bombsite'
The Cockpit
Butterfly Jungle

Here's a pic of Billingtons Garage - note the extremely large crack in the wall on the left-hand side of the building. I suspect the whole lot is slowly slipping into the Gyffin stream. The property is still up for sale with Muller but note the absence of any detail on their website listing:
http://www.mullerpropertyshop.co.uk/commercial_property_details.php?id=45  :huh1:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 04:04:44 pm »
There now follows a submission from the Colwyn Bay jury, namely the Pier. Abandoned ever since its former owner was declared bankrupt several years ago, its condition is deteriorating rapidly:

Offline Dave

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 10:20:46 pm »
Surely one of the silliest and most unnecessary eyesores is the building site on the corner of the new Parc Llandudno  retail shopping centre. Once nicely landscaped it was immediately dug up again as they decided another retail outlet was needed.(?????) It now seems they have decided it isn't viable  due to the recession the area has been boarded and looks a mess.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 07:46:07 am »
 :(Just off past the station now to see if any contractors have moved on to site,we still have two weeks of September.Just a shame if this has been delayed,why not let people know,simpeles.. :P

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 09:59:12 am »
Surely one of the silliest and most unnecessary eyesores is the building site on the corner of the new Parc Llandudno  retail shopping centre. Once nicely landscaped it was immediately dug up again as they decided another retail outlet was needed.(?????) It now seems they have decided it isn't viable  due to the recession the area has been boarded and looks a mess.
Yes, another good addition to the 'list of shame' and many thousands of pounds wasted ripping up a pleasant landscaped area that was apparently deemed essential under the original planning permission but was then not needed when CCBC were offered £400,000 'contribution towards parking in Llandudno' if the developer could build another store on it:
http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2009/01/29/anger-as-derelict-site-is-an-eyesore-at-parc-llandudno-55243-22802022/

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 05:03:03 pm »
A more in depth look at the Tudno Castle Hotel in Llandudno. The 54 room hotel closed in 2007, with the loss of 35 jobs, and an £8m project to convert into a Travelodge, Restaurant and retail units ran out of steam after problems with obtaining Planning Permission.

How it would have looked:
http://www.propertypilot.co.uk/pdf/160+667.PDF

It's clear from my wander around the outside of the building that it is in terminal decline - cracks everywhere in the facade. I think we can expect to see more large areas of render dropping off during bad weather this Winter. It's also clear that the interior of the building has been extensively vandalised by squatters etc in this Urban Exploration Report from June 2009 that has photos of the interior:
http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=41354

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 07:09:52 pm »
Well done, Conwy CC planning department, yet again.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 07:49:42 pm »
 :DAnyway back to something that is supposed to be happening,Jason do you have any information on when Llandudno  railway station is begining,cheers. :-X