Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574333 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #1290 on: October 11, 2017, 01:42:57 pm »
As expected an application has gone in to demolish the entire Tudno Castle Hotel in Llandudno.    If planning is granted then I hope that the CCBC will insist that the building be completed within a short space of time as this eyesore has gone on long enough.

0/44433 Grid Reference: 278596,382104 Application Type: Listed Building Consent Case Officer: Dave Watson Determination Level Delegated Team: DC West Team Received Date : 21/09/2017 Registered Date: 29/09/2017 Development Type(s): New Development Ward: Tudno Community Council: Cyngor Tref Llandudno Town Council Location: Tudno Castle Hotel Mostyn Broadway Llandudno Conwy LL30 1YL Proposed demolition of Tudno Castle Hotel and redevelopment to provide 63 bed hotel, 5 no restaurants units and 1 no business unit to include the recreation of the listed facade at the site of the Tudno Castle Hotel (Listed Building Consent)

Offline Dave

« Reply #1291 on: October 11, 2017, 01:56:26 pm »
As expected an application has gone in to demolish the entire Tudno Castle Hotel in Llandudno.    If planning is granted then I hope that the CCBC will insist that the building be completed within a short space of time as this eyesore has gone on long enough.

0/44433 Grid Reference: 278596,382104 Application Type: Listed Building Consent Case Officer: Dave Watson Determination Level Delegated Team: DC West Team Received Date : 21/09/2017 Registered Date: 29/09/2017 Development Type(s): New Development Ward: Tudno Community Council: Cyngor Tref Llandudno Town Council Location: Tudno Castle Hotel Mostyn Broadway Llandudno Conwy LL30 1YL Proposed demolition of Tudno Castle Hotel and redevelopment to provide 63 bed hotel, 5 no restaurants units and 1 no business unit to include the recreation of the listed facade at the site of the Tudno Castle Hotel (Listed Building Consent)

I'm surprised only today! i thought this had been accepted as the way forward ages ago and the agreement was to replace the old facia with an exact replica. I also thought the delay was to avoid too much upheaval in town during the demolition as the road needs to be closed. Now the season is over they can push ahead but not if they haven't already made the necessary arrangements and got the permissions.If they haven't already prepared it's plainly ridiculous.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1292 on: October 11, 2017, 02:27:59 pm »
It's Mostyn Estates Dave, they can do anything they want to do in town, or at least they think they can

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1293 on: October 12, 2017, 09:24:52 am »
Obviously, the plans had be to completely redrawn following the collapse of one wing - that takes time!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1294 on: October 12, 2017, 09:47:45 am »
You also cannot rule out one of the objectors wanting to arrange their own survey.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1295 on: October 12, 2017, 03:32:03 pm »
As I've said before Bri,   I would trust developers as much as I trust politicians and solicitors and accountants.     &shake&

Offline Dave

« Reply #1296 on: October 12, 2017, 05:13:26 pm »
As I've said before Bri,   I would trust developers as much as I trust politicians and solicitors and accountants.     &shake&

You forgot bankers, financial advisers, stockbrokers, oh  :o and blokes with small horses dressed as soldiers.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1297 on: October 12, 2017, 06:05:59 pm »
Thanks Dave for reminding me, how could I forget Bankers.      :rage:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1298 on: November 08, 2017, 07:20:49 pm »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1299 on: November 08, 2017, 08:04:45 pm »
Ah, yes;  the Victorian Society, crawling out of the woodwork and describing itself as "a charity,  whose members’ support, via donations and volunteering, is vital to our work".  So no surprise, then, that their headquarters are in the most expensive area of London, where the average house price for a terraced house is £2.8m.  I hope those donating feel their money is well spent...

And I wonder which local worthy thought it worthwhile to tell them what is happening?

There is nothing inherently wonderful about a decaying building, Victorian or Edwardian.  Many were simply thrown up and the number worth saving is fairly small, and if the Tudno builders intend to build new but in the same style then it can only be an advantage. But then, when a charity says this about all Victorian and Edwardian buildings:

Victorian and Edwardian buildings are irreplaceable, cherished, diverse, beautiful, familiar and part of our everyday life. They contribute overwhelmingly to the character of places people love and places where people live. They belong to all of us. Their owners are really only custodians for future generations.

it does make you wonder...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1300 on: November 08, 2017, 10:57:27 pm »
I suppose the same could be said for the Mostyn Family who now enjoy the benefits of their affluent lifestyle in London but I've said all along that I believed their intention was to completely demolish the whole building.
Don't forget that Mostyn Estates have neglected that building for many years and in part are responsible for its decline.    Not once have I heard that the CCBC  has issued a repair notice on the Estates even though the deterioration of the place was obvious to everyone.

What I do agree on is, that it's in everyone's best interest to demolish the entire building and rebuild it to match the surrounding buildings

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1301 on: December 14, 2017, 01:56:52 pm »
I mentioned in Sep. the poor state of the Gloddaeth Ave. tram shelter, and that local councilor louise emery was looking into the situation, I am pleased to say that interim repairs have been carried out, with further restoration work in the near future planned.

Offline llandudnotrust

« Reply #1302 on: December 14, 2017, 03:34:13 pm »
Cllr Louise did organised a site meeting and has tried to establish who owns it, which is never clear , and a schedule of work has been agreed. I know because I was there.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1303 on: December 14, 2017, 04:24:08 pm »
Cllr Louise did organised a site meeting and has tried to establish who owns it, which is never clear , and a schedule of work has been agreed. I know because I was there.

Thanks for the update, sorry I could not be there,  I just received the news by Email.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1304 on: December 14, 2017, 05:13:49 pm »
At last something is happening at ' The Grand Ash'. Workmen are filling skips as fast as they can.

Still nothing at 'The Royal'
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.