Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574398 times)

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #195 on: January 18, 2011, 06:21:08 pm »
I went along mid afternoon and whilst trying to decipher one of the plans on the wall got speaking to a gentleman who is one of the development/design  team. I asked why there appeared to be nothing happening to the waste land to the left of the station and he said there was nothing that the council or Network Rail could do because neither of them own the land and the private owner was unwilling to sell. That's probably common knowledge but I'm a relative newbie so it was news to me. I then jokingly said that at least the "campers" who sometimes stay overnight on the land would be happy that nothing was happening to the land.  He said that they not be quite so happy with the new planned closable frontage to the station and that the people who sometimes stay overnight on the station rather that stay on the waste ground would not be able to get in once it was locked. 

Also again I don't know if this common knowledge but Mostyn estates have retained the original wrought iron gate and fencing from the station and this will be incorporated as part of the new design.

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #196 on: January 18, 2011, 11:25:52 pm »
Hi TheMedz, Brian,

I couldn't make the event as I was in a Scrutiny meeting this afternoon.
Was there anything regarding the timescales available at the event.?
The information I have is quite vague saying it will start sometime after April and finish sometime after April 2012.

Thanks Jason

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #197 on: January 19, 2011, 07:41:14 am »
Jason - we missed the slide show but I overheard one of Network rail representatives say, to another attendee, that although a lot of the funding was already secured the money from one source (Welsh Assembly - I think) would only become available in the next financial year. So that would seem to suggest a start of  April 2011 at the earliest.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #198 on: January 19, 2011, 08:43:00 am »
Jason, I did not get an opportunity to speak to anyone as they were already speaking to other visitors.

I must confess me and Val did not stay very long as the exhibition did very little for us especially with the plans being so unclear and confusing.

Hopefully, when they return with a scale model then everything will be more meaningful for us.

Also, I would like to think they manage to provide more notice of the exhibition next time to allow for more local residents to attend and even let it run on after 5pm.

BTW, Cllr Goronwy Edwards was also in attendance, seemingly in an official capacity, so maybe he may have the answer.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2011, 07:38:57 pm »
Some pics of the inside of one of our eyesores, Billington Bros in Conwy:

Inside View 3 by Luke McGowan, on Flickr

Inside View 1 by Luke McGowan, on Flickr

Inside View 2 by Luke McGowan, on Flickr

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #200 on: January 25, 2011, 07:44:49 pm »
 :( I have just been around town with the dog for a walk and it does make you wonder if there is any hope for the Clarence,tudno Castle, Augusta flats and all those empty shops,one good thing though i bumped into Mr Scarratt measuring up for the extravaganza,so there is hope for the old Queen yet. WWW

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #201 on: February 09, 2011, 04:44:14 pm »
Went for a walk with Socs (the dog). I was surprised to see the state of disrepair on the old turret toilets. I remember dodging in there in the 80s.  They aways stank but not as bad as the ones on the square.

I suppose it would cause more damage removing the ivy now.

Love the door, it reminds me of the "magic faraway tree"

Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

brumbob

« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2011, 05:30:29 pm »
I remember dodging in there in the 80s. 
Had to read that twice, I thought you had said dogging  :laugh:

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2011, 05:51:22 pm »
 :o   L0L

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2011, 06:20:02 pm »
So did I.  ))*

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #205 on: February 10, 2011, 12:47:41 am »
I didn't think she said that .... I just HOPED she did !!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #206 on: February 10, 2011, 01:04:23 am »
I didn't think she said that .... I just HOPED she did !!

Me too!  L0L

Errr, you went to Aberconwy didn't you Pendragon?  :-[

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: February 10, 2011, 09:28:49 am »
Went for a walk with Socs (the dog). I was surprised to see the state of disrepair on the old turret toilets. I remember dodging in there in the 80s.  They aways stank but not as bad as the ones on the square.

I suppose it would cause more damage removing the ivy now.

Love the door, it reminds me of the "magic faraway tree"
That's another example of a building that is just wasted - it could easily be an office/workshop for someone. I take it the Council own it.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #208 on: February 10, 2011, 02:25:41 pm »
Yes I went to Aberconwy Trojan, left in 86'.  Remember  Mr Rhys Jones, Eirlys Jones, Northcott (she was my form teacher for 3 years) Mongo Man, Colin Jones (Killer) I have tremendous respect for that guy he's a legend, he's helped me out over the years, given me advise etc. I want to work with troubled teenagers and I tell y'what if I have an oz of the empathy that guy has I'll be happy.
I'm sure the turret belongs to the councl, they were council toilets after all. It is a waste. Thinking about it, it might be CADW that owns them?  They own the castle don't they ?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #209 on: February 10, 2011, 02:28:08 pm »
Yes they do own the castle-- the over 60's free CADW pass is useable there
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.