Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574925 times)

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #270 on: May 07, 2011, 11:31:23 am »
If the town council has no power why do we have one?

Pull the hotel down and build a multi screen cinema.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #271 on: May 08, 2011, 06:06:42 pm »
 D)Dave ,you and i know that it is exactly what the developer wants,demolish and start from scratch and there is nothing anyone will do,everybody will say a new building is better than that eyesore. :'(

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #272 on: May 08, 2011, 06:08:29 pm »
I raised that very question on my blog last year sometime. Something along the lines of 'what if they demolished the building and rebuilt it with a matching façade to the old one'? I wouldn't have a problem with that. Every building gets to the end of its life eventually.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #273 on: May 08, 2011, 06:14:50 pm »
Why don’t Mostyn Estates come down heavy on the owner for ‘failure to maintain’?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #274 on: May 08, 2011, 06:37:09 pm »
Why don’t Mostyn Estates come down heavy on the owner for ‘failure to maintain’?
Do Mostyn Estates own the Freeehold?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #275 on: May 08, 2011, 06:53:02 pm »
I did hear they made life difficult for the previous owner who sold out and moved on to buy another hotel on the promenade.

If that was the case then I guess they must.

Please let me know if you find out anything to the contrary.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #276 on: May 08, 2011, 07:01:14 pm »
Do Mostyn Estates own the Freeehold?

I lived in a property in which Mostyn had the Freehold, however my only requirement if the place fell down was to rebuild a property that would let for the princely sum of £12 per annum!   The Deed was drawn up years before and had never been changed.

I finished up buying the Freehold from them for about £1,500 and that was for a 5 bed house on Gloddaeth Avenue.    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #277 on: May 09, 2011, 08:43:49 am »
I noticed that the Tudno Castle Castle Hotel in Llandudno is deteriorating rapidly, this chimney stack at the rear of the building looks to be in danger of imminent collapse:

Oh shucks, it is beginning to look at as if the property will soon have to be knocked down.  :-}}}

This smacks of Pen Morfa
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #278 on: May 12, 2011, 12:46:38 pm »
Call for demolition of Rhos Point Cafe
May 12 2011 by Richard Evans, North Wales Weekly News

A PRIME site in Rhos-on-Sea could be redeveloped for tourism following a council costings survey. Owned by Conwy County Council, the Rhos Point cafe is currently closed whilst a survey determines whether the building on the promenade is safe for use. The once popular restaurant was closed last summer after the council took back control of the lease through the county court. The state of the former cafe is yet to be determined.

Rhos-on-Sea councillor Merfyn Thomas believes the site’s redevelopment could be vital in helping to boost the village’s tourist facilities.
“To be absolutely honest I would like to see the building demolished and redeveloped,” he said. “But it all depends on the cost and to what extent is the damage. The Rhos Point cafe position is the entrance to where the pier used to be. It has great pulling power, it is right on the prom and could be a real moneyspinner as part of the future of Rhos-on-Sea. “It is a shame it is closed, it could be making an awful lot of money. But if it’s not safe then we can’t use it. The children’s paddling pool is across the road where there is also a nice open space. We could be linking them both together.”

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2011/05/12/call-for-demolition-of-rhos-point-cafe-55243-28676910/

Why not just sell the site off to a Private Developer to sort out? It's a prime site on the front in Rhos. Fester and I had a meeting with Allan Sharp (CCBC principal property development officer) last year in which we offered to buy the site, but we were told that CCBC did not wish to sell at that time. Why does a Council need to own a cafe?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: A sticky problem - Chewing Gum
« Reply #279 on: May 12, 2011, 12:56:56 pm »
Two questions spring to mind about the response:

1) Surely the machine that was damaged in the flood was insured? Why was the payout not used to buy a new machine?

2) The idea that a machine to remove chewing gum costs £120,000 is totally ridiculous. This one here (designed for use on pavements) is less than £5,000:

"The Gum-Grafter is ideal for high street cleaning on tarmac, flags, block paving, concrete and many more external surfaces. "

http://www.getridofgum.com/remove_chewing_gum.html

Volunteers remove chewing gum from Llandudno streets
May 12 2011 by Katherine Kingdon, North Wales Weekly News

VOLUNTEERS recovering from substance misuse took to the streets of Llandudno on Tuesday in an effort to tidy up the beach and rid the streets of unsightly chewing gum.

The event, organised by North Wales drugs and alcohol charity CAIS and Word on the Street, saw around 20 volunteers spring clean some of Llandudno’s major visitor spots.

CAIS chief executive Clive Wolfendale wanted to give clients the chance to do something useful and hoped to create job opportunities for some. He said: “Our aim in making Llandudno a more attractive place is to demonstrate that we are tackling substance misuse, including chewing gum!”

The gum was removed by a special machine which uses steam and a chemical solvent to remove the unsightly marks.
Mr Wolfendale hopes to take the machine elsewhere in the future and assist the community’s efforts for Wales in Bloom.

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2011/05/12/volunteers-remove-chewing-gum-from-llandudno-streets-55243-28676883/

Great news, keep up the good work. Perhaps it could be done on a regular basis?

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #280 on: May 12, 2011, 01:22:53 pm »
Nice to read something positive on here, Cais sounds like a good organisation and they have the right person  for the top job

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #281 on: May 12, 2011, 11:19:54 pm »

Why not just sell the site off to a Private Developer to sort out? It's a prime site on the front in Rhos. Fester and I had a meeting with Allan Sharp (CCBC principal property development officer) last year in which we offered to buy the site, but we were told that CCBC did not wish to sell at that time. Why does a Council need to own a cafe?
[/quote]

Dave, it would seem that the Council have not seen fit to re-visit our offer. The meeting we had with CCBC ended with them promising to consider our proposals and come back to us. That response is now three months overdue.
I think that the vision we had for the WHOLE of Rhos Point (not just the Bistro) was a very positive and worthy one.
As far as I am concerned, CCBC sound sincere, but they have no real interest or (or ability) when it comes to moving an initiative forward.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #282 on: May 14, 2011, 05:21:01 pm »
I noticed the deterioration of the Chapel near St Marys yesterday.  It's going to have to be knocked down soon looking at the huge cracks and crumbling masonry.  I noticed you had a photo of it on Flickr Dave.  Was this the Wesleyan Chapel?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #283 on: May 14, 2011, 05:35:35 pm »
All that block of land up to the High Street is owned by Stange & Co (who own the Malt Loaf, Snowdon and Cottage Loaf) , who want(ed) to build a bar and housing on the site. The Chapel has serious structural problems, unfortunately, and will have to come down.

http://www.conwy.gov.uk/E_MINUTES/e_post2002/e_regulatory/e_planning/e_reports/26-34185.pdf

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #284 on: May 14, 2011, 05:43:25 pm »
I couldn't see the document on your link Dave?  I've seen a couple of people milling round last year they were clearing the grass and painting, just to improve its appearance I suppose.  Good piece of prime land that.  Why don't they just sell it?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley