Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574261 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2010, 05:32:48 pm »
I've always thought it would make a great upmarket cafe, very similar to Tu Hwnt I'r Bont in Llanrwst. You could create a fabulous outdoor seating area in the courtyard area at the back.  :)

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2010, 06:21:01 pm »
I've always thought it would make a great upmarket cafe, very similar to Tu Hwnt I'r Bont in Llanrwst. You could create a fabulous outdoor seating area in the courtyard area at the back.  :)
I love that cafe, I think thats a good idea, you could sell some excellent real local crafts, Conwy and the surrounding area are heaving with people who produce and sell some fantastic craft work, Imagine that all old photos etc on the walls, yep that would be good.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2010, 05:32:54 pm »
Anwyl intent was honest enough. Remove the 2 wings from the original villa and then incorporate it into the new building. It was only when the demolition was complete that the parlous state of the villa was reviled. It was so bad  there was no option but to pull it down.  ))* The questions that needs to be answered is why didn't the Council require Anwyl to carry out a full forensic survey of the property before any demolition work was allowed and in a Historic town like Llandudno why wasn't it a listed site  *&(
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2010, 06:48:37 pm »
Come on, Blongb, you know how well built Victorian buildings are. After the side extensions were removed, Penmorfa was left exposed to the elements for how long? No building will last long unless it is watertight and Penmorfa certainly wasn't maintained in any way by Anwyl - just take a look at the photo below! The simple fact is that Anwyl could squeeze a couple more apartments on the site without Penmorfa standing, so money talked in the end and Penmorfa was demolished, in my view.

Last days of Penmorfa....
by SnakeCorp, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 07:16:54 pm by DaveR »

Offline Trojan

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2010, 08:54:42 pm »
My view also Dave.  :(

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2010, 08:57:49 pm »
In the vast majority of people's views too, Dave.

You are spot on.  The existing Pen Morfa was a major inconvenience,  and the windows on the upper floors and roof area were CYNICALLY left open or broken to ensure the required deterioration occured as quickly as possible.

The roof was a glowing testament to Victorian quality ... despite getting battered by the West Shore gales, throughout the demolition period, it stood stubbornly and defiantly. There was never even a slate out of place until the bulldozers smashed them.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2010, 09:16:38 pm »
Over in Colwyn Bay, we have the former A & A Cash & Carry Shop at 7 Abergele road. For many years, it was famous locally as 'Dandos Toy Shop'. Originally a beautifully designed shop (by Colwyn Foulkes), the building is now empty and abandoned, with a hideous steel shutter all along the ground floor and only its upper exterior retaining the original design. With significant grant money available from the Heritage Lottery Fund to pay for restoration of original features, now is the time for this building to be restored to its former glory.

[smg id=740]

[smg id=741]
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 01:56:38 pm by DaveR »

Offline Trojan

Re: Llandudno Eyesores
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2010, 07:49:26 am »
Who owns all the land at the Builders Street side of the railway station? It's huge and totally wasted is that where the new "transport hub" is to be?
It's all owned by a company called 'Northern Markets', run by Michael Don from Manchester. He's not done a lot with the site (ok, anything), so I can only assume it was bought as an investment and he's waiting for a juicy offer from a retail developer or similar.

It's not entirely wasted.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2010, 08:38:43 pm »
Today's eyesore is what's known locally as the Bombsite in Conwy. It's one corner of Lancaster Square that has been left derelict ever since the 1970s when the former Estate Office was demolished. There was a also a small Public Toilet on the site which was demolished in the 1980s(?). The site is an overgrown mess. The whole block, from the Red Lion buildings down to and including the former Bethesda Chapel is, I believe, owned by Stange & Co Ltd (who were once a fruit and veg retailer in Llandudno but moved into pubs, owning the Cottage Loaf in Llandudno). In 2004, they submitted a planning application to demolish the Red Lion and Bethesda chapel, replacing them with a cafe-bar, with apartments above. I don't recall if the application was approved or not but no work has ever taken place.

[smg id=757]

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2010, 01:18:24 am »
I find 'Sober' to be a very over-rated state of being.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2010, 01:35:36 am »
I find 'Sober' to be a very over-rated state of being.

I agree.  Z**

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2010, 06:06:20 pm »
Potentially positive news about the Deganwy Castle Hotel, in that it looks as though it has been sold and may remain as a hotel:

Alistair Greenhalgh, of Savill’s:

“A sensible offer on the hotel has been made, and we are waiting to hear back from Enterprise Inns. We anticipate that if they accept the offer the sale could go through before Christmas.” Although Mr Greenhalgh wouldn’t be drawn on who has made the offer, it’s understood it has come from someone who is both a local property developer and a hotel owner."

Let's hope it's not Ragheb from the Clarence!  :o 8)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2010, 09:07:05 pm »
It's good that someone is interest in buying Deganwy Castle Hotel but when I read that the person is a property developer as well as a hotel owner my first thoughts were that the building will be the next one to be demolished to make way for apartments on the site.
Perhaps I'm being cynical but that has happened to many properties on that road.   The person could make an option to buy subject to obtaining planning permission or as he is a developer he may test the water with CCBC beforehand.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2010, 08:54:01 pm »
It's good that someone is interest in buying Deganwy Castle Hotel but when I read that the person is a property developer as well as a hotel owner my first thoughts were that the building will be the next one to be demolished to make way for apartments on the site.
Perhaps I'm being cynical but that has happened to many properties on that road.   The person could make an option to buy subject to obtaining planning permission or as he is a developer he may test the water with CCBC beforehand.
The word on Oscars blog is that Charlie Lynch is buying it.

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2010, 09:06:30 pm »
The word on Oscars blog is that Charlie Lynch is buying it.
It has come to my attention that this could very well be correct.
When I spoke with the agents on Monday they would not be drawn, obviously, on any names. The last time I spoke with them they did say that no Hotel Operators had been interested. I then asked whether the latest offer was from a Hotel Operator, he confirmed that interest had been shown by both property developers and as a Hotel. So I'm taking that as confirmation that the latest offer is being made for the site to continue as a Hotel.
There hasn't been any contact with the Council at the moment.
They are hoping if the offer is accepted that the sale will complete by Xmas.