Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574660 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #765 on: August 18, 2013, 10:52:44 am »
I tried to google James ltd ,the name on the new barriers erected in front of Augusta holiday flats but nothing came up.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #766 on: August 24, 2013, 10:23:29 pm »
A few skips have appeared outside the Augusta Apartments, looking like they're stripping out the old flats:

Offline Ian48

« Reply #767 on: August 27, 2013, 01:39:14 pm »
Regarding the Augusta Holiday Flats, I am not sure if this has been posted before:

http://www.wardpropertyinvestments.co.uk/augusta-apartments-llandudno/#pkg_1

It's a link to the development that is hopefully taking place, looks like it's aimed at the investment and holiday rental market.

As it refers to the works in the past tense (somewhat erroneously), I guess we can infer that they aim to get this going straight away.  So hopefully the stripping and fencing is a sign of work to be completed soonish.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #768 on: August 27, 2013, 04:36:02 pm »
Nice find, Ian.  $good$

They are permanent (AST) lets, rather than holiday flats. One of these schemes where the Developer 'generously' allows investors a slice of the pie.  ;)

Offline Ian48

« Reply #769 on: August 28, 2013, 03:54:33 pm »
Ah ok.  I confess, I am not too sure of the difference.  I googled AST and it seemed to suggest they were holiday lets, but maybe you can explain.  Still, the advert looks nice and it seems to be a quality development, so fingers crossed!!

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #770 on: September 05, 2013, 04:16:22 pm »
Mostyn estates are erecting a new sign in the car park at Tudno Castle hotel,i wonder what will be going on it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #771 on: September 05, 2013, 04:38:44 pm »
Ah ok.  I confess, I am not too sure of the difference.  I googled AST and it seemed to suggest they were holiday lets, but maybe you can explain.  Still, the advert looks nice and it seems to be a quality development, so fingers crossed!!
AST = Assured Shorthold Tenancy - the standard way to rent out a flat on a permanent basis, usually a 6 month rolling Let.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #772 on: September 11, 2013, 01:50:23 pm »
Some more info about the plans for the Tudno Castle |Hotel:

Mostyn Estates, who recently acquired Llandudno’s Tudno Castle Hotel are hoping to launch plans to help restore this hotel to its former glory, retaining the Grade II listed façade that sits in the centre of Llandudno’s amenities, high street and shopping district.

The building has fallen into a terrible state through neglect and being abandoned, and even experienced an arson attack one year ago. Edward Hillier, Managing Director of Mostyn Estates said:

We are at a reasonably advanced stage of design for a mixed use commercial scheme at the hotel.

This is likely to incorporate retention of the principal frontages, and rebuilding behind these.

We are likely to submit an application for planning consent on this revised scheme in the autumn, and are optimistic of seeing some action on site in early 2014.”

http://www.visitllandudno.com/blogvisit/

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #773 on: September 11, 2013, 08:02:48 pm »
Mostyn’s have learnt their lesson having previously refurbished the Embassy Building in St Georges Place, to its original state and lost in the region of £3M in the process. It makes far more financial sense to keep the façade and put a modern building up behind it.

If this well thought-up plan goes ahead, it will be very interesting to see if they are permitted by our wonderful conservation enforcement police, to install double glazed windows in it.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #774 on: September 11, 2013, 09:15:29 pm »
It is a very welcome piece of news that Tudno Castle is to be renovated, as early as 2014.   Can't wait!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #775 on: September 11, 2013, 09:25:32 pm »
If this well thought-up plan goes ahead, it will be very interesting to see if they are permitted by our wonderful conservation enforcement police, to install double glazed windows in it.
I don't think anyone objects to double glazed windows, merely cheap plastic ones. If people buy Victorian buildings, they should be prepared to make the effort to maintain them to a suitable standard surely?

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #776 on: September 11, 2013, 11:20:17 pm »
   How unfortunate. Immediately after the last post there is (or was) an advert selling some type of double glazing

Offline Trojan

« Reply #777 on: September 12, 2013, 01:15:20 am »
   How unfortunate. Immediately after the last post there is (or was) an advert selling some type of double glazing

Ted Moult would have sorted the place out, that's for sure.

RIP Ted.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #778 on: September 12, 2013, 08:39:17 am »
Work has started on the Black Lion in Conwy. Photo courtesy of Chris Dearden, BBC Reporter.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #779 on: September 12, 2013, 11:46:13 am »
I don't think anyone objects to double glazed windows, merely cheap plastic ones. If people buy Victorian buildings, they should be prepared to make the effort to maintain them to a suitable standard surely?

If only that were the case Dave, I want to install "Like for Like" sash style double glazed windows, which would cost me at least 3 times the price of the cheap ones (They look and operate just like the Victorian ones) and have been told under no circumstances will I be given permission. (Already installed in the Empire and the Merrion Hotels)

To help bring my heating bill down and make the place habitable during the Winter months the Conservation Department did come up with the recommendation that I install roof insulation in a Cavity Space that does not exist in my building and that I should install secondary double glazing but that was vetoed during my Fire Safety Inspection when the Inspecting Fire Officer said no, I was not to install it, as it would impede egress of the building in an emergency.

With 65% of Buildings in the Conservation Area benefitting from double glazed windows, of one style or another; with or without permission, all I want is a level playing field, lower Winter Fuel Bills and a Habitable home to enjoy instead of having to endure.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)