Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574980 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #1170 on: May 04, 2016, 11:59:58 am »
I noticed the other day that the Grand Theatre/Broadway Boulevard has had a new coat of paint on its doors and lower drainpipes. I'm hoping this will be followed by several hundred thousands pounds worth of proper repairs to the crumbling facade at the higher levels...  ?{}?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Local Eyesores Broadway Boulevard nightclub
« Reply #1171 on: May 09, 2016, 05:19:07 pm »
Llandudno's Broadway Boulevard nightclub will open this month.
The Broadway Boulevard nightclub in Llandudno will re-open this month the club’s new owners have revealed.
Enigma Leisure has bought the Grand Theatre site from MBI Consulting and are now close to completing the revamp of the nightclub - which closed in June 2013.

The club will be run by Bijan Sharifian, who had previously run the club for 14 years, and he revealed it will be open “within” the next two weeks.
There have already been significant changes inside the club and workers are currently putting the finishing touches to the interior which will feature four bars, including cocktail and VIP serving areas, and a stage for bands.
They will initially open for three club nights a week but hope to expand that over time.
More than 20 staff are being taken on for the opening.

Bijan, who last managed the club in 2008, said: “I was here for 14 years so know all about the nightclub and I am very excited about being back here and making this a success.
“The club always did well and it was the administration of the parent company that saw it close.
“There is a demand for this in Llandudno and we believe it will be good for the wider Llandudno economy because it will bring more people here for a night out.

“There are those who were clubbing when I was there and earlier and our Wednesday night, called Revivals(the club’s original name) will be a nod to that with retro songs, from the 70s to mid 2000s.
“There will be more of a dance night on the Friday and Saturday will be more universal.”
Enigma said the investment in buying and revamping the site had been “significant”.

Bijan added: “We now want to bring in as many people as we can.
“We are making entrance reasonable, from £3 to £5, because we want this place busy.
“Everything is very nearly in place for the opening, we have our DJs ready to go.
“We are starting with three nights but we also see the potential for other special nights each month, with bands performing. The site will also be available for private hire.”
The listed building was originally the Grand Theatre, nationally famous in World War II as the popular radio show ITMA was broadcast from there.
MBI bought the site last year but earlier this year accepted an offer from Enigma.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/llandudnos-broadway-boulevard-nightclub-open-11306802

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1172 on: May 09, 2016, 06:49:22 pm »
The Pier Pavilion site isn't looking good at the moment

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1173 on: May 10, 2016, 08:47:54 am »
The Broadway Boulevard nightclub in Llandudno will re-open this month the club’s new owners have revealed.
Enigma Leisure has bought the Grand Theatre site from MBI Consulting and are now close to completing the revamp of the nightclub - which closed in June 2013.

The club will be run by Bijan Sharifian, who had previously run the club for 14 years, and he revealed it will be open “within” the next two weeks.
There have already been significant changes inside the club and workers are currently putting the finishing touches to the interior which will feature four bars, including cocktail and VIP serving areas, and a stage for bands.
They will initially open for three club nights a week but hope to expand that over time.
More than 20 staff are being taken on for the opening.

Bijan, who last managed the club in 2008, said: “I was here for 14 years so know all about the nightclub and I am very excited about being back here and making this a success.
“The club always did well and it was the administration of the parent company that saw it close.
“There is a demand for this in Llandudno and we believe it will be good for the wider Llandudno economy because it will bring more people here for a night out.

“There are those who were clubbing when I was there and earlier and our Wednesday night, called Revivals(the club’s original name) will be a nod to that with retro songs, from the 70s to mid 2000s.
“There will be more of a dance night on the Friday and Saturday will be more universal.”
Enigma said the investment in buying and revamping the site had been “significant”.

Bijan added: “We now want to bring in as many people as we can.
“We are making entrance reasonable, from £3 to £5, because we want this place busy.
“Everything is very nearly in place for the opening, we have our DJs ready to go.
“We are starting with three nights but we also see the potential for other special nights each month, with bands performing. The site will also be available for private hire.”
The listed building was originally the Grand Theatre, nationally famous in World War II as the popular radio show ITMA was broadcast from there.
MBI bought the site last year but earlier this year accepted an offer from Enigma.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/llandudnos-broadway-boulevard-nightclub-open-11306802
Best of luck to them; I just hope that they're not hoping to do it on the cheap without the major repairs needed to the exterior of the building.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1174 on: May 10, 2016, 10:54:56 am »
The Pier Pavilion site isn't looking good at the moment

Nor does it smell good ! :o :-X
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1175 on: May 10, 2016, 02:55:53 pm »
Best of luck to them; I just hope that they're not hoping to do it on the cheap without the major repairs needed to the exterior of the building.

My cynical side says no to the "major repairs" that you hope for.

Before Enigma Leisure bought the Grand, MBI talked about using the place for the community, for use by various groups etc , I suspect the Nightclub will be the only thing they are bothered about.

I do not know the layout of this building, is it possible to use other parts ?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1176 on: May 11, 2016, 11:25:11 am »
Not really, there's a few old dressing rooms and offices on the upper floors, but nothing of any real size, the nightclub takes up 90% of the building

You can see pretty much all of the interior in this tour I did back in 2010:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davellandudno/albums/72157623521219490

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1177 on: May 11, 2016, 03:13:14 pm »
Not really, there's a few old dressing rooms and offices on the upper floors, but nothing of any real size, the nightclub takes up 90% of the building
You can see pretty much all of the interior in this tour I did back in 2010:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davellandudno/albums/72157623521219490

I have to say that after looking at the state of the building and the air con. work, the last lot were not interested in the building and unfortunately I think Enigma will be the same.

Your photo album is a great record albeit a little sad, but a great job. well done

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1178 on: May 21, 2016, 11:07:15 am »
Llandudno's Broadway Boulevard revamp revealed as club to open on Friday
The Broadway Boulevard nightclub in Llandudno will re-open on Friday after nearly three years.

Enigma Leisure, which bought the Grand Theatre site from MBI Consulting earlier this year, have been working “around the clock” to get the club ready to open for the Bank Holiday weekend.

This week they gave the Daily Post a tour of the site as workers put the finishing touches to the nightspot before the opening.

More and photos.   http://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/llandudnos-broadway-boulevard-revamp-revealed-11360978

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1179 on: July 01, 2016, 11:29:00 am »
I haven't seen any work going on at the Washington for about six months now, it's all very odd. It's been left half painted, have the owners run into financial problems?

I see that several enforcement notices have been served by the HSE against the Washington's owner, Fu Lee:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/notices/notices/notice_list.asp?ST=N&SN=F&EO=%3D&SF=RID&SV=4404834

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1180 on: August 16, 2016, 03:01:44 pm »
Mostyn Estates have put in a new full application for the former Youth Centre, Llandudno. There is a lot more detail this time and excellent 3D images and a 32 page Design & Access Statement, which locals may find an interesting read.These can be viewed on the CCBC Planning website Reference No 0/43072.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1181 on: August 16, 2016, 10:41:50 pm »
Thanks for posting that Meleri,  it was quite interesting to read and it may generate an objection or two to the planning application.
They do say in the application that no work has been undertaken yet, so I suppose those demolished buildings at the rear that I photographed must have just fallen down by themselves.
I can't remember from my time at the Youth Centre if there was an asbestos used there but the application says that no hazardous materials are on site so perhaps none was used.

Offline Greyhound

« Reply #1182 on: September 19, 2016, 11:39:50 am »
Looks like we might have movement at last at the Gogarth Abbey (larger than originally proposed though).

https://twitter.com/d2architects/status/776751394569261056?lang=en-gb

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 12:07:14 pm by DaveR »

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1183 on: September 19, 2016, 03:32:27 pm »
I believe that the original application was for 25 apartments but when Anwyl failed to stop the original part from deteriorating it was increased to 29 apartments.
Now after many years of no activity on the site they want 50 apartments.   I hope the CCBC  make the extra 21 apartments affordable for local people and set a time limit on the completion of this site.

Offline mull

« Reply #1184 on: September 19, 2016, 04:19:36 pm »
This is just greed. Does West Shore need more homes for the elderly and is the inferstructure in place to support them ?
Well said Hugo, give the young ones a chance to get on the housing ladder.