Author Topic: Local Eyesores  (Read 574423 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Eyesores
« Reply #1260 on: March 10, 2017, 10:23:43 pm »
I noticed that there were two separate planning applications  registered last week for the Tudno Castle Hotel.      At least the paperwork is moving because there doesn't seem to be much building work going on.
I wonder if there are any surprises still to come?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1261 on: March 20, 2017, 02:27:37 pm »
Nothing whatsoever is happening on the old Penmorfa Hotel site and nothing has happened there since about 2008.

At least the Goats are not put off by the sign

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1262 on: April 12, 2017, 11:54:27 am »
A proposal to demolish the derelict Llandudno Youth Centre and create a three storey building consisting 18 two bed apartments has been recommended for refusal.

Conwy County Borough Council Planning Committee will meet today to discuss the application, put forward by Mostyn Estates Ltd for the Trinity Avenue site.
The design and access statement reads: "The site was acquired by Mostyn Estates from Conwy Council to redevelop the derelict youth centre site, which closed five years ago.
"Location is highly accessible to the town centre, public transport, employment, schools and other community facilities.
"There is separation from the edge of the conservation area, which reflects an interruption and change in character.
The site does not affect or lie close to any identified important, direct or panoramic views of the conservation area. The residential development on previously developed land will ease the existing housing land shortfall.

"The housing mix reflects the current local demand. Viability assessment indicates that the development is not viable for affordable housing contributions.
"The design concept is commercially modern with traditional Victorian styling."
Objections to the development have been raised.

Llandudno Town Council have recommended rejection on the grounds that "the flood risk assessment does not comply technical note and provide suitable protection for residents."    ref Pioneer

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1263 on: April 12, 2017, 12:40:12 pm »
With or without planning permission Mostyn Estates has demolished part of the property anyway but they can always go for retrospective planning like other developers have done

This terminology  "The housing mix reflects the current local demand. Viability assessment indicates that the development is not viable for affordable housing contributions  is it another meaning for   "we know that affordable housing should be considered but we want maximum profit"

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1264 on: April 15, 2017, 04:09:25 pm »
Has anyone got any idea about what is happening to the planning application for apartments on the old Penmorfa Hotel site?       I've had a look at the CCBC  weekly planning applications  and cannot see an application listed for the site.
I bet those people in those nice apartments next door are annoyed about the new proposal and also Anwyl's inactivity on the site for so long

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1265 on: April 20, 2017, 07:15:01 pm »
I noticed that the Tudno Castle Castle Hotel in Llandudno is deteriorating rapidly, this chimney stack at the rear of the building looks to be in danger of imminent collapse:

Oh shucks, it is beginning to look at as if the property will soon have to be knocked down.  :-}}}

Sadly, it looks as though that will almost certainly be the case. The entire building is crumbling so badly now that renovation will not be economically viable.

That posting was a few years ago and the property has been neglected ever since.   If we can see that, then why didn't  the CCBC  see it and put a repair notice against the owners Mostyn Estates.
Now the developers are going to demolish two thirds of the facade on Mostyn Broadway as it's in danger of collapsing but I bet that won't be the end of it and the whole lot will come down as it's not viable to keep the Vaughan Street facade.
I would assume that the CCBC will have inspected and photographed the property before granting permission for the demolition.
A dangerous building is one thing but being viable is another ( aka greater profit)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1266 on: June 20, 2017, 11:51:38 am »
Workmen stripping the surface from the car park belonging to the Royal Hotel and the Garth flats this morning.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1267 on: July 09, 2017, 04:06:16 pm »
The Castle Hotel looks securely fenced off but on the few times I've been past it recently there doesn't appear to be any work going on.,
Has it hit another snag?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1268 on: July 09, 2017, 04:28:34 pm »
The Castle Hotel looks securely fenced off but on the few times I've been past it recently there doesn't appear to be any work going on.,
Has it hit another snag?
I had a look last week, nobody about, I think the snag is the building is to far gone/dangerous, and they are waiting until summer is over, then demolish it, start again, and I would not blame them, as long as the new build was in character.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1269 on: July 09, 2017, 05:32:30 pm »
Is it true work is due to commence shortly on building a new toilet block on 'Bog Island' ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1270 on: July 09, 2017, 06:10:51 pm »
If it is Bri, then they had better be quick as the holiday season is just a few weeks away.     

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1271 on: July 09, 2017, 06:17:33 pm »
Has it hit another snag?
I had a look last week, nobody about, I think the snag is the building is to far gone/dangerous, and they are waiting until summer is over, then demolish it, start again, and I would not blame them, as long as the new build was in character.

I agree Steve, it's far easier to build from scratch and in Mostyn Estates thoughts far cheaper too.       It could have been their intention all along like Anwyl's.  but the snag is that it's a listed building.
I wouldn't be surprised to hear the buzz word "viable" mentioned in the near future

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1272 on: July 10, 2017, 11:39:29 am »
Good to see that the large crack in the garage side of the Grand Theatre/Broadway Boulevard building is now being repaired - that would certainly have given me sleepless nights if I was the owner!

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #1273 on: July 10, 2017, 06:21:21 pm »
I agree Steve, it's far easier to build from scratch and in Mostyn Estates thoughts far cheaper too.       It could have been their intention all along like Anwyl's.  but the snag is that it's a listed building.
I wouldn't be surprised to hear the buzz word "viable" mentioned in the near future

It's interesting that they didn't put up supporting scaffolding to the front elevation ,if they intended to retain the gable ,but merely erected access scaffolding to the entire building. They would not of risked leaving the gable unsupported having removed the rest of the building

Offline Dave

« Reply #1274 on: July 10, 2017, 06:36:18 pm »
I personally don't see the problem in demolishing and rebuilding as long as it's an exact replica. There was nothing that special in the original from what I could see but the style has to be in keeping with everything else from Victorian Llandudno.