Author Topic: Hughes Family - Llandudno  (Read 22393 times)

Offline CFR

Hughes Family - Llandudno
« on: March 10, 2011, 04:00:26 pm »
Hi I hope you can help me.

I am looking into my family tree, and im a bit stuck.

I am looking for a Hughes family living in Llandudno. My Grandmother was born as Dilys Hughes in Llandudno in 1920. Her mothers maiden name was Jones. I am told that her mother was from Llandudno originally. I am not sure about her father.

I know that the family lived in Kings Road, Llandudno area in the 1920s. But before then, I am not sure.

As I do not have first names, I am finding it difficult to find a marriage certificate for Miss Jones and Mr Hughes. My grandmother was the third youngest child or the youngest.

Her brother and sisters were called: Sarah Hughes, Elizabeth Hughes and Jack Hughes.

I hope someone can help because I have come to a dead end.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Hughes Family - Llandudno
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 08:01:32 pm »
CFR  as you will be aware there are many Hughes and Jones in the local area.  My name is Hughes and my mother's maiden name was Hughes too so there are lots of us about.
There is a place in Llandudno called the Conwy Archives which has a lot of info on local people so they may be able to help.   It doesn't open on Fridays but I may be going there next week and I'll see if I can find out anything.
The Ancestry website may also be able to help and that's free at our local library.
You have mentioned that your Grandmother was born in 1920 and was Dilys Hughes (nee Jones) is she still alive or if not do you know the year that she died?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 09:29:40 am »
I was thinking about this again and wondered if you knew a few more things like the exact date of birth of your Grandmother and also your Grandfather's first name.
If you did know her date of birth then you could get a copy of her Birth Certificate and this would give you the names of her parents.
I'm just curious because my G Grandmother on my mothers side was called Elizabeth Hughes and they had 9 children one of whom was also called Elizabeth. The  G Grandmother had 4 sons and they also may have called any daughter by their mother's name.
My mother had a cousin called Elizabeth Hughes although she was known as Betty or Bessie (can't remember exactly) and she lived somewhere in the West Shore area too.  It could be just a coincidence but I'll see what turns up.
Suepp, if you are reading this I wonder if you can do me a favour and refer to that good book of yours the 1929 Street Index and see if there are any Hughes' listed in Kings Road. It may help with some of the notes I've got about my family tree.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 10:18:01 am »
 could it be jack hughes  who was a painter he lived on conwy road  a hughes family lived  in llwynon rd [gt orme]  not us bri , they also had a jack as you say a few different one,s good luck

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 11:14:57 am »
Certainly Hugo, Kings road  is a very long street with  68 addresses,
                         at  number  13 is Robert Hughes -Stoker (apartments)   
                                            19, Henry Hughes Plasterer,     
                                            20, Joseph Hughes Engine Fitter,
                                            40, Benjamin Hughes Postman, 
                                            44, D. Hughes (aparts) Labourer

These might help to  narrow down  the search for a marriage certificate.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 12:24:56 pm »
Thanks very much for doing that Suepp as I'm not sure when I can go to the Conwy Archives next.  One of my G Grandmothers sons was called Robert and you've found out that there was a Robert at No13.  Whether that is the same person or not I don't know yet.
Thanks again for finding the info.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 12:36:48 pm »
could it be jack hughes  who was a painter he lived on conwy road  a hughes family lived  in llwynon rd [gt orme]  not us bri , they also had a jack as you say a few different one,s good luck

I don't think it was Jack as Jack lived in Cwm Place at one time and I knew him and his wife quite well. They are too young to be the people CFR is looking for.  Jack's wife died a few years ago at a very young age and they had a son called Tommy who I met again a few years ago.
There's still a lot of us Hughes' left Norman and there are a few with your name too. I wonder if they are related to us?

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 12:46:25 pm »
My Great Grandfather Jack Edwards was also a Stoker  (at the Gasworks) he lived in Alex road, it may be useful to find out if there are any Gas works records at the archives, I must find time to go there myself some time, do you need a pass card before you can do research?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 01:21:37 pm »
You don't need a pass card Suepp, all you do is go in to the building and they will ask you to sign in first.
 When you have done that  you can tell them what you are looking for and they will help you to find it .    There's loads of info in there and it's well worth a visit if you want to find something from the past.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 02:15:59 pm »
I've got a week off in April so will make the effort to go there!

Offline CFR

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 02:55:13 pm »
Thanks, I think i will be making a trip down to the archive next week.

For a reply to the message this is all I know:

My grandmother: Dilys Regan (Nee Hughes) Born - 24/10/1920 Llandudno Died 29/07/2006

Married: Denis J Regan - Born 28/03/1928 Abergavenny. Died 28/07/1981 Llandudno.

So from a birth index I have found for my grandmother is that her mothers maiden name was Jones.

I will try and find my grandmothers birth certificate if I can. Hopefully that will clarify some names. I will also do a search with the names from Kngs Road 1929 street index to find a marriage certificate for my G Grandparents.

Any other guidence anyone has would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline CFR

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 03:53:18 pm »
oh and one more question, how do I get a copy of the birth certificate? or even marriage certificates?

do i have to pay for one? I mean i only need to look at it to get a couple of names of my great grandparents.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 04:40:05 pm »
You have to apply to the GRO (General Records Office) you can do this via the BMD website,  I believe the cost is around £9 per certificate,now, the last one I purchased cost me £7  The initial search will reveal only the names of the two parties, the year  and which quarter and the reference number which will direct you to the  online application form, you have to register with the GRO initially to apply.

It can mean guesswork and the risk of obtaining a "wrong" certificate but that has never happened to me, and over the years I have purchased a few certificates and not had a wrong one yet, in fact one application was turned down because my information did not tally with theirs. The information you get without paying  are the names,  and the year of marriage

Marriage certificates are great because they not only have the names and addresses of the couple, but the name and occupations of the father, the wedding venue and the names of witnesses. it can set you off in several different directions for  further research.
http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/index.php

If I can help with a search let me know,  it would help to know the approximate year of marriage. I could also  do a look-up on ancestry for you if you wish.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 11:09:31 am »
If they married in Llandudno you can go to the Registrar in the Town Hall and he will do one for you if he's not doing a wedding.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 04:44:08 pm »
Hello all.

Another Hughes family is that of my Auntie Tillie, husband Joe Hughes. They used to live opposite me in  30 Kings Road - My rocky memory says 25, but it was right on where the road does an acute angle turn.

Tillie was a real favourite of mine. She was one of the town's characters best know for presiding over the public toilets at the end of the pier(in the 1950s/60s), where she told blue jokes to anyone who partook of her domain.

Her children were numerous and, I understand, not all Joe's. There is Jack who is a painter and a number of years older than me - still living in Llandudno as I understand; Norah, again somewhat older than me and, I think, still living in Llandudno; Bill (known as Bill Conk) who I knew well and who died about forty years ago; Bobby about five years older and still living in Llandudno; Josie who died in the last few years - another favourite who I last saw when visiting Colwyn Bay where she gave me a huge hug. David, pretty much the same age as me. He was a close childhood friend and we remained close through the times he was is a lot of petty trouble and had picked up the nicknames of Davy the Liar and Pedro. I used to see him often on my hiraeth visits to home (latterly in the Cottage Loaf) and was  shocked when I heard he's collapsed outside the GPO and died of a heart attack. He was relatively young.   
Micox