Author Topic: Bellringing  (Read 65810 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Re: Bellringing
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 04:20:40 pm »
We are currently looking to add 2/3 more ringers to our band, so if you have previously had some experience why not come along? I'm sure you will find us a sociable lot.
If you would like to see how bells are rung with a view to perhaps learning, then you will be equally welcome.

Practice night: Friday 7.30pm - 9pm. Venue: Holy Trinity Church. For more details see www.llandudno-parish.org.uk

Stan the (bellringer) man

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 10:33:25 pm »
A little irritation tonight during our practice night, someone from a window on an upper floor of the Alexandra Hotel shone a red beamed light at our ringing chamber window. It didn't last very long but I was the one in direct line  while ringing our number 7 bell.
 I would like to think this was a bit of a joke rather than a serious action of complaint as we have been ringing the bells on a Friday night for many years. If you do dislike the bells why not come across and have a word with us and maybe even have a go yourself.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 06:16:41 am »
Hells Bells, it may have been a sniper practicing to take you out  :-X
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 06:29:17 am by Trojan »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 08:07:55 am »
More likely an idiot with a cheap laser beam.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 03:33:33 pm »
Tomorrow afternoon the bellringers of St Mary's Church, Tadcaster, N Yorks. will be ringing Holy Trinity's bells prior to evensong at 5pm. They have been visiting N Wales for the weekend ringing bells in various churches and conclude their visit in Llandudno before returning to Tadcaster.

I hope you all enjoy(ed) your visit.

The bells will also be ringing on Monday evening 7.30 - 9pm for the usual 1st Monday monthly event.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 03:35:27 pm by Bellringer »

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 08:19:50 pm »
The Tadcaster ringers duly rang Holy Trinity's bells to conclude their weekend visit to North Wales.
Thank you for visiting Holy Trinity and we look forward to you perhaps returning at a future time.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 10:48:56 pm »
Sadly one of our former bellringers at Holy Trinity, Brian Blythe, died earlier this evening. Brian suffered a srtoke nearly four years ago and had been in hospital or nursing home since. We extend our sympathy and condolences to his wife and family.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 06:43:22 pm »
Sadly one of our former bellringers at Holy Trinity, Brian Blythe, died earlier this evening. Brian suffered a srtoke nearly four years ago and had been in hospital or nursing home since. We extend our sympathy and condolences to his wife and family.

Funeral at St Martin's Church, Eglwysbach, on Friday at 1pm.

We shall be ringing a quarter peal on Holy Trinity's half muffled bells on Friday evening as a tribute and celebration of Brian's life

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 06:47:47 pm »
The muffles will remain on the bells until next Sunday morning when Holy Trinity's bells will be rung prior to the Remembrance Service which starts at 9.45am.
This service will be followed by a march/procession to the Cenotaph for a further short service and the "two minute silence" at 11am.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 08:34:58 pm »
We shall be ringing a quarter peal on Holy Trinity's half muffled bells on Friday evening as a tribute and celebration of Brian's life

The quarter peal was successfully rung in the presence of Brian's wife Betty and other members of the family.
The ringers were:- Ellen Jenkins, Lynne Ferriday, Chris Wheatley, Jason Walker, David Raggett and Stan Whittaker.

On Sat. 13 November a visiting group of ringers led by Ben Gooch from Gloucester rang Holy Trinity's bells.

Today the bells were rung half muffled as is traditional prior to the Civic Remembrance Service at Holy Trinity which was then followed by the march and procession to the Cenotaph.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 01:40:59 pm by Ian »

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 01:43:03 pm »
Unfortunately another of our older former ringers has died this week. John Grocott (85) rang with us regularly in the late 80s, 90s and early 2000s. Condolences to his family and especially his daughter Janet who used to ring with us as well.

Funeral at St Trillo's Parish Church, Rhos on Sea next Friday 3 December at 11am followed by committal at the Colwyn Bay Crematorium at 11.30am

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 11:25:57 am »
Yesterday our retirement group had their Christmas dinner at the Queens Hotel in Llandudno and after the meal and a few games we were entertained by the Trinity Church Bellringers.
We all enjoyed the Christmas carols that they played on their hand bells and they made it look so easy.  It was a pleasure listening to them and I just wish that our singing could have complimented the sound of the bells.
Having seen it first hand and spoken to Stan afterwards I can understand why he is so passionate about his hobby.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2010, 01:50:10 pm »
Thank you Hugo for those kind words.   :-[ We all enjoyed our visit to "entertain" you and your fellow members and I personally thought the singing was OK too - it complimented the ringing really rather nicely.

How good it was to see you all having fun, some can't believe that older people can have fun but it was quite amazing how much could be generated by playing a game involving an object in the middle of the 'playing area' and four lemons - bit like playing football with a rugby ball!

VV  Seasons greetings and best wishes to you and all your members.   I*

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2011, 09:25:12 pm »
The beginning of a New Year and we rang it in at Holy Trinity at noon on New Year's Day.

We are looking to add a few more to our band of ringers, so if anyone fancies a go do please let me know.

www.llandudno-parish.org.uk/bells.html for more information.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 08:56:08 pm »
Pleased to say that two ladies have come forward and are learning to ring, so if anyone else is interested, please contact me. No obligation, why not come along and watch how we do it first.

www.llandudno-parish.org.uk/bells.html