Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 214217 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #675 on: October 16, 2017, 01:11:37 pm »

Surely if someone is walking their dog in a public place and they have no dog bags on them, then it is obvious that they will not be able to pick up after their dogs have made a mess.    By all means prosecute them, but why not check to see if the dog is micro chipped also because they are obviously not responsible dog owners.

I disagree. I don't think even under civil law you can prove that by not having bags it's more than likely that they wouldn't clean up their dog mess. they may have their own way of cleaning it using something else, or even their hands if it came to it.
Sounds like they are on shaky ground with that one to me.

It's like suggesting that because someone had sweets on them, they were going to drop the wrapper. Or because they had cigarettes, they were going to drop the cigarette end. 

Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #676 on: October 16, 2017, 02:01:09 pm »

Surely if someone is walking their dog in a public place and they have no dog bags on them, then it is obvious that they will not be able to pick up after their dogs have made a mess.    By all means prosecute them, but why not check to see if the dog is micro chipped also because they are obviously not responsible dog owners.

I disagree. I don't think even under civil law you can prove that by not having bags it's more than likely that they wouldn't clean up their dog mess. they may have their own way of cleaning it using something else, or even their hands if it came to it.
Sounds like they are on shaky ground with that one to me.

It's like suggesting that because someone had sweets on them, they were going to drop the wrapper. Or because they had cigarettes, they were going to drop the cigarette end.

You both could be correct of course, it sounds quite logical,  although I've never witnessed anyone carrying dog poo in their hand or a lighted cigarette butt for that matter        &shake&

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #677 on: October 16, 2017, 10:25:31 pm »
what if you do take bags out with you and you have used them when you get stopped, do you have to retain them to prove that you have taken the right steps to clean up, not much fun carrying them around when you have bins there to dispose of them, still you could always stick a sticker with your email and post code on each bag. What a world we live in

Offline Hugo

« Reply #678 on: October 16, 2017, 10:44:51 pm »
. What a world we live in

It's the same old story, the selfish and irresponsible minority of idiots spoil it for the rest of us.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #679 on: October 16, 2017, 10:54:55 pm »
glad i don,t have a pony to walk

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #680 on: December 22, 2017, 06:42:51 pm »
Cllr. Julie Falllon, who's been running a film club free of charge for locals at Llanrhos Old School near Deganwy, is the subject of an anonymous complaint to Trading Standards.

This raises some interesting questions.  The first one is how did anyone manage to contact Trading Standards? Because ordinary mortals can't. They're generally impossible to get hold of, or to report complaints to. Which raises the question who made the complaint? It's likely someone with a bit of clout and with possibly a potential financial loss - someone who perhaps already runs a cinema?

The second point it raises is why would any complaint about a councillor paying for a service out of her own pocket for local residents be taken seriously? It's CCBC that's dealing with the complaint, of course, so expecting sensible action  might be a little optimistic.

I worry about anonymous complaints. CCBC and councils generally are far too willing to entertain them, when they should be asking why the complainant feels they have to remain anonymous. Informers on a drug gang, possibly, or the Mafia, certainly, but a local councillor doing her bit for the community? What's next? Raids on the local knitting group? Or maybe attempts to close down the local Brownie pack?

CCBC have a chance to show that they're not simply mindless automatons, following the book and crossing the Ts. Anyone want to hold their breath?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #681 on: December 22, 2017, 09:00:45 pm »
Unfortunatly the cats out of the bag, and copyright laws should come into force,  regardless of the well meant intentions.

cky......
*Showing a video to a group of people outside of the home is legally regarded as a public showing, and is therefore in breach of copyright for DVDs/videos that have been purchased or hired for domestic use. To organise a group screening, permission from the copyright owner of the title in question will need to be obtained. Obtaining such rights clearances can be a complex procedure.

For certain types of screening ("non-theatrical" screening), it is possible to hire a copy of a film from its distributor with the rights already cleared. The primary non-theatrical distributors of feature films on DVD, video and 16mm in Britain are the BFI and Filmbank Distributors.[2]

Another option is to buy a blanket licence for the year known as a 'Public Video Screening Licence' which may work out cheaper if showing film is to be a regular event.*

Also
https://www.gov.uk/showing-films-in-public

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #682 on: December 23, 2017, 07:09:30 am »
Yet another thing the ludicrous and outdated copyright laws are accountable for.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #683 on: December 23, 2017, 09:17:38 am »
2pm today hosted by Julie.

Everyone is welcome.

Llanrhos School House and it is FREE.

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #684 on: December 28, 2017, 06:15:08 am »
Not sure if this is the right place for this post, but hopefully will have meaning to some readers.

I have been a sufferer of ME/CFS (Myalgic Encephalomyeliti/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) since 2008. It is a disease that there is no test for, and no treatment to cure it. My description is to imagine waking up with both the flu and a really bad hangover and to imagine how difficult it would be get through the day. Then, in my case, imagine waking up that way every single day for the the next 3500 days. Yet, I believe my case is a moderate one. There are those who struggle to even get out of bed.

Anyhow, the point of this post is that here in Australia, a medical team studying ME/CFS have made a dramatic breakthrough in both identifying the cause of the disease but in a potential test for it and are trying to find a treatment based on existing, common medication used for other illnesses.

So for those who have been affected by ME/CFS either directly or indirectly, there appears so be some hope. Here is the link to the article: http://www.couriermail.com.au/technology/science/australian-scientist-prove-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-is-real-and-have-discovered-a-test-for-it/news-story/2f62ddcf2d5a625b0c1f185fc649bbf0.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #685 on: December 28, 2017, 06:18:55 am »
Link does not exist.

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #686 on: December 28, 2017, 06:51:01 am »
Link does not exist.

Damn technology! :rage:  Sorry about that. You could try a Google search for "Sunday Mail Brisbane Yuppie Flu", but in desperation, here is a transcript of the article:

IT has been derided as yuppie flu and flummoxed doctors for decades but now Australian scientists have proved Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is real.

Better yet they’ve come up with a test for it and are now trialling cheap medications used for other diseases they hope may help treat it.
Around 240,000 Australians suffer from the debilitating illness that drains them of energy, leaving them bedridden suffering terrible muscle pain, cognition problems, gastric and cardiac issues.

AFL legend Alastair Lynch, who won a hat-trick of premierships with the Brisbane Lions in 2001, 2002 and 2003, suffered the illness so badly he was passing blood and sleeping up to 18 hours a day.

At its worst, Lynch — who was an athletic 96kg, 26-year-old at the time said of his chronic fatigue: “I actually couldn’t lift myself out of bed.”

“It was in the prime of my athletic career ... and it was scary at the time. When I eventually got up I was passing blood, everything seemed to be shutting down and I was sleeping 18 hours a day and waking up more tired than when I went to bed.”
Scientists have rebadged the illness Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) and claim Chronic Fatigue Syndrome does not do justice to the symptoms patients suffer.

Now a team led by Griffith University immunologist Professor Sonya Marshall Gradisnik has discovered the illness is related to problems in the ion channels that allow calcium into the body’s cells.

Calcium is required by just about every cell in the human body and is vital in helping the immune system destroy a virus or infection.
The Gold Coast team has proven that patients with ME have lower levels of calcium coming into their cells, that their cells store less calcium and this is the basis of their illness.

Public health physician Don Staines, who is involved in the project, says patients often develop ME after a virus or a trauma or other illness.

Calcium signalling is vital in the brain and spinal cord, the pancreas where it helps regulate insulin secretion, it’s also involved in blood vessels, the heart, the gastrointestinal tract, the kidneys and diseases of the brain, he says.

While studying the illness the scientists found changes in the micro RNA of ME patients, changes that could be detected in blood plasma and this has led to a potential blood test for the disease.

Work is under way with a leading pathology company to refine the test and Professor Marshall Gradisnik says the test will be vital for the many thousands of patients who sometimes have to wait years for an explanation for their ill health.

Now the team is on the hunt for potential treatments for the disease.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #687 on: December 28, 2017, 08:56:59 am »
I found five links, such as this one:

[url=http://www.mesoasubestoaustralia.com/2017/12/australian-scientists-prove-chronic.html]http://www.mesoasubestoaustralia.com/2017/12/australian-scientists-prove-chronic.html
[/url]

but I'd advise caution.  The one aspect which had me slightly concerned is that each report uses identical text. That, at the very least, would suggest a lack of quality peer reviews at this stage.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #688 on: December 28, 2017, 09:23:24 am »
As you know Hugh my wife was also diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue and unfortunately we were told that there was no test for it and no treatment or cure.
Unless you or a close relative has it then you can't realise how debilitating the illness is.   They thought at the time that the illness was caused by a virus and in time would pass out of the body.
If they have found something about the illness then that is marvellous and I hope that it is correct for all those who suffer from that dreadful illness.
On a more positive note my wife's condition has improved a lot and she now has a normal life thank goodness.  Fingers crossed that it will continue.

Offline DownUnder

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #689 on: December 28, 2017, 10:13:33 am »
As you know Hugh my wife was also diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue and unfortunately we were told that there was no test for it and no treatment or cure.
Unless you or a close relative has it then you can't realise how debilitating the illness is.   They thought at the time that the illness was caused by a virus and in time would pass out of the body.
If they have found something about the illness then that is marvellous and I hope that it is correct for all those who suffer from that dreadful illness.
On a more positive note my wife's condition has improved a lot and she now has a normal life thank goodness.  Fingers crossed that it will continue.

I have been following the Griffith University study for some time, so the published report is, I believe, a genuine one.  I even volunteered as a test subject but due to the medication I take was not accepted. My own ME/CFS has worsened for unknown reasons, but I am trying to fight back. Hugo, I am so pleased not just for your wife as a sufferer but you as her carer that there has been such an improvement. I imagine that has made a huge difference in your respective lives. That in itself gives me hope for my own future.

Interestingly,, I am about to undergo surgery on both of my shoulders due to calcification. Probably keyhole surgery on my right shoulder, but open surgery on my left shoulder which is severely calcified on bone, sinews and muscle tissues. The Griffith Uni studies made me wonder if the inability of my body's cells to absorb calcium results in an excess of calcium which is deposited in areas such as shoulder joints.

Fingers crossed!