Author Topic: Points to Ponder  (Read 214038 times)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
Re: Points to Ponder
« Reply #375 on: August 21, 2014, 12:09:19 pm »
Just waiting for someone to raise the old chestnut now, and start on the Freemasons!    ZXZ

Is that one of their rituals?  _))*

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #376 on: August 21, 2014, 08:25:43 pm »
Just waiting for someone to raise the old chestnut now, and start on the Freemasons!    ZXZ

From what little I know on the subject, I don't think Freemasons prevent their children from education, believe that anyone not of the brotherhood is evil, nor behave in an abrupt, almost aggressive manner? 
Anyone exposed on a daily basis to Charedi families cannot help being a little unnerved by them.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #377 on: August 22, 2014, 10:50:39 am »

From what little I know on the subject, I don't think Freemasons prevent their children from education, believe that anyone not of the brotherhood is evil, nor behave in an abrupt, almost aggressive manner? 
Anyone exposed on a daily basis to Charedi families cannot help being a little unnerved by them.

You can't say all of them behave in an abrupt almost aggressive manner. That's a ridiculous generalisation.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #378 on: August 22, 2014, 10:55:11 am »
You can't say all of them behave in an abrupt almost aggressive manner. That's a ridiculous generalisation.

Well, he didn't.  He was making a comparison between what some say about Freemasons and his own experience with the Charedi. F is not the one generalising and he made that very point in one of the early posts:

Although I must be very careful not to generalise
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #379 on: August 22, 2014, 12:22:12 pm »
Yes he did

He said he doesn't think Freemasons "behave in an abrupt, almost aggressive manner" Where as he thinks these people do.

The truth is

Some Freemasons behave in an abrupt and aggressive manner and some Charedi behave in an abrupt and agressive manner.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #380 on: August 22, 2014, 01:30:19 pm »
The truth is

Some Freemasons behave in an abrupt and aggressive manner and some Charedi behave in an abrupt and agressive manner.

I have never seen a Freemason behave in an abrupt and aggressive manner, they are vey quit and placid individuals, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it!   
:rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #381 on: August 22, 2014, 01:36:47 pm »
I thought they kept their identities secret........except to each other  ???

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #382 on: August 22, 2014, 02:26:54 pm »
Yes he did  He said he doesn't think Freemasons "behave in an abrupt, almost aggressive manner" Where as he thinks these people do.

Not sure what you're reading, but it isn't Fester's post. Nowhere does he say the Charedi do what you claim.  You say

Where as he thinks these people do.

but that assumes you know what he thinks. Isn't that as daft as the very generalising you're decrying?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #383 on: August 22, 2014, 03:08:46 pm »
The truth is

I have never seen a Freemason behave in an abrupt and aggressive manner, they are vey quit and placid individuals, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it!   

I have, we used to live near two in Oxfordshire, the first one was fine, but the second one was not very pleasant to his new wife, in fact a couple of times she came to us in tears after he had threatened her in various ways, until she was prevented from talking to us! To be fair the way he was, was entirely unconnected with being a Freemason! 
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #384 on: August 22, 2014, 03:30:10 pm »
Yes he did  He said he doesn't think Freemasons "behave in an abrupt, almost aggressive manner" Where as he thinks these people do.

Not sure what you're reading, but it isn't Fester's post. Nowhere does he say the Charedi do what you claim.  You say

Where as he thinks these people do.

but that assumes you know what he thinks. Isn't that as daft as the very generalising you're decrying?

Read Fester's post

"From what little I know on the subject, I don't think Freemasons prevent their children from education, believe that anyone not of the brotherhood is evil, nor behave in an abrupt, almost aggressive manner?"

He is clearly saying that the Freemasons don't do this, but this Charedi do. The Charedi are what we are discussing if he's not comparing the Mason's to them who exactly is he comparing them to? I don't think it's the Smurfs or the cast of EastEnders or the Great Orme Goats, I assume 100% correctly that he is talking about the Charedi because that is what this discussion is about. There is no need for him to reference them by name!

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #385 on: August 22, 2014, 03:31:02 pm »
The truth is

I honestly thought it was supposed to be a secret. Seems a bit pointless if everybody knows who they are?

I have, we used to live near two in Oxfordshire, the first one was fine, but the second one was not very pleasant to his new wife, in fact a couple of times she came to us in tears after he had threatened her in various ways, until she was prevented from talking to us! To be fair the way he was, was entirely unconnected with being a Freemason!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #386 on: August 22, 2014, 03:40:54 pm »
Read Fester's post
"From what little I know on the subject, I don't think Freemasons prevent their children from education, believe that anyone not of the brotherhood is evil, nor behave in an abrupt, almost aggressive manner?"

He is clearly saying that the Freemasons don't do this, but this Charedi do.

No, that's an inference you're making. There's no 'clearly' about it; his statement was about the Freemasons. Anything else is down to what a listener infers.

The Charedi are what we are discussing

One hopes, but many make facetious asides instead of meaningful contributions:

Is that one of their rituals?  _))*

and

When a group of them descend upon my little shop, knowing that they believe me to be 'evil',
To be fair they've got a point

So are you saying Fester is evil? It's the same logic, after all...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #387 on: August 22, 2014, 04:46:12 pm »
B2R I'm puzzled, I thought Fester was your friend yet you seem to be hell bent on proving some very obscure point, but why? I wonder if these other sects, races, whatever would rush to defend you? Seems unlikely somehow! It does seem in the UK now that we have to be so careful what we say about these groups yet they still seem to be able to say whatever they like about us, not really fair somehow is it? I have been keeping fairly quiet on this subject so far, but it has been puzzling me!  ???
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #388 on: August 22, 2014, 07:58:08 pm »
I thought they kept their identities secret........except to each other  ???

Not at all, any Freemason will not hesitate to tell you if you ask.  Any questions you have just ask.    :D

In fact most questions can be answered by searching the Internet or certain books in your local library.   ££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #389 on: August 22, 2014, 09:22:50 pm »
 I've arrived late in this turbulent topic. Its livened the forum up a bit.
 My small contribution. Around about six years ago I was working for Llew Jones Coaches. A sudden job came up. Another North Wales coach company had brought three coach loads of  Charedi ( a word I had never even heard of until about 15 mins ago) from London to Howells School in Denbigh. School holiday time of course.
 The drivers of this company refused, as a group, to take them anywhere, ever again. And I can tell you that most coach drivers are well used to the awkward, drunk, nasty, unreliable, dirty etc etc passengers. Plus a majority of good ones of course. And that was after just ONE journey.
 However, Llew Jones being Llew Jones, agreed to take them over, and transport them locally around North Wales. The drivers there, including myself, were made of sterner stuff.
 It was pretty unbelievable stuff. I won't go into detail surface to say I had never seen human beings with behaviour like this in my life. Not all bad by any means. But so STRANGE. I put this in capitals because that is just what they were --- ABSOLUTELY STRANGE