Author Topic: Daily Post and North Wales Weekly News  (Read 110889 times)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
Re: Daily Post and North Wales Weekly News
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 04:20:58 pm »
 :-X I have not bought a weekly news for 4 weeks now,ifind it very poor these days and if there is anything going on you tend to find out on here.The main reason i decided to stop buying was their neglect for Llandudno,if you can;t find any storeys about the town then follow some old favorites up ,like the railway station,Pier Pavillion,empty shops,town center manager,xmas lights[oops],there just seems to me no interest so i have stopped buying end of. ZXZ

Offline Trojan

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 05:01:42 pm »
It hasn't been the same since Auntie Megan left.  :'(

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 05:30:34 pm »
Gone down hill since the Jones's sold out!    $walesflag$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 06:01:11 pm »
:-X I have not bought a weekly news for 4 weeks now,ifind it very poor these days and if there is anything going on you tend to find out on here.The main reason i decided to stop buying was their neglect for Llandudno,if you can;t find any storeys about the town then follow some old favorites up ,like the railway station,Pier Pavillion,empty shops,town center manager,xmas lights[oops],there just seems to me no interest so i have stopped buying end of. ZXZ
What's worth bearing in mind is the Weekly News will fold if sales fall significantly. Yes, it could be far better but would you rather be without it altogether?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 06:13:45 pm »
I do not think I would miss it.  If you look at the balance between editorial and advertising (forgetting the PR items) it has changed dramatically over the years.  The balance is now very heavily in the favour of advertising and to pay the price for a few local articles just ain't worth it in my book!    >>>
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 07:32:01 pm »
 ;) Trogan,Aunty Megan ,i remember it was quite a joke in school to get your name on her page,. :laugh:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 08:36:26 pm »
;) Trogan,Aunty Megan ,i remember it was quite a joke in school to get your name on her page,. :laugh:

It certainly was.  L0L

Offline Trojan

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2011, 08:38:40 pm »

It certainly was.  L0L

Didn't they have the Welsh version of Spot the Ball.......Spot the Sheep:laugh:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2011, 09:13:42 pm »
Maybe we could collectively offer some advice (because I know Weekly News journalists do read the forum) on what we would like to see? Ideas for new features etc?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 09:57:19 pm »
The NWWN being a weekly, cannot ever be successful in reporting topical news items of the day.  Once it has been put to bed, it then has six days of news which if published the following week is history.  This is due to the inclusion of local news in other media such as Radio, Television, Free Press, Blogs, Forums and their own group's Daily Newspapers.  In my view for it to survive it needs to possibly change its format to that of a Weekly Magazine style, rather than continue to attempt to be a newspaper.

Just my thoughts!    $walesflag$
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2011, 10:53:53 pm »
 :(In the Llandudno edition it needs to have Llandudno stories and about things the locals want to know about,eg lets have Judith meeting Venue Cymru staff and let them explain why it is so hard to fill the Arena,why not talk to Mostyn estates and ask them why they sit back andexcept the poor standard of xmas lights that the town they supposidly love has to put up with,why not talk to a different town councillor each week so we can see what REAL interest they have,things we may enjoy reading.Of course there is only Judith to do all this and thats what it comes down to,no staff,no interest equals NO SALES. :'(       

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2011, 08:06:31 am »
The NWWN's strength was always topical reporting of community activities, almost the magazine style that Yorkie suggests, in fact.  They were always excellent with school news, clubs, sport and local problems, partly because they 'fleshed out' the stories so effectively and used a lot of photos.  But things are changing - and not only for the NWWN. With the advent of the internet, the papers now publish online and - I suppose   a lot are saying why pay? when they can get it for free.

Inevitably, I suspect, we'll see a  greater trend towards even more advertising which, coupled with the fall in incomes, will mean the NWWN will struggle even more. The National newspapers are finding it pretty tough, so I'm guessing the Trinity group is just about holding its heads above water at the moment.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2011, 11:19:43 am »
I think it is more like they have a snorkel!     ;D
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2011, 11:32:30 am »
I suspect what will happen in the end is that TrinityMirror (or whoever owns it by then) will decide to pull the plug once it becomes economically unviable (for them). At that point, somebody local could step in, buy it, and return it to its roots by making the suggested changes.  

In 2009, the NWWN sold 15,124 copies (decline of 8.3% on previous year)
In 2010, the NWWN sold 14,127 copies, (decline of 5.3% on previous year)

I did a blog post on the NWWN a few years ago, still remains true!
http://llandudnoandcolwynbay.blogspot.com/2009/11/north-wales-weekly-news.html

$walesflag$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2011, 08:42:48 pm »
Are those figures a weekly run?  15,124 looks about right for a week.
Or do you mean 15,124K ?  Per annum
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -