Author Topic: Daily Post and North Wales Weekly News  (Read 110919 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Daily Post and North Wales Weekly News
« Reply #390 on: November 17, 2017, 09:02:17 pm »
I would have been content with a complimentary extension to my subscription but they obviously valued my constructive feedback.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #391 on: November 20, 2017, 09:20:57 am »
Every time I look at the Daily Post website, I despair a little more....

There just seems to be more and more sensationalist nonsense on there (often with no connection to North Wales at all), together with increasing numbers of adverts popping up in all directions.

"Rhyl man bit into a burger and you'll be AMAZED at what he found inside!"
"Watch Welsh artist paint Jesus using a Greggs sausage roll"
"Llandudno cat is running for US President and we have an EXCLUSIVE interview!"
"If you're flying economy soon, DON'T watch this Airbus video"
"Top 10 List of POINTLESS THINGS to pad out the newspaper today!"

Added to this utter banality are the pointless videos that now accompany each article - most of which are unbelievably tenuous in their connection to the original article.

"WHAT HAPPENS DURING A LEGAL TRIAL?"
"WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I GO TO THE TOILET?"
"WHAT HAPPENS WHEN MORONS ARE ALLOWED TO RUN A NEWSPAPER?"

Please note...I'm not blaming the journalists who I know do their best, but the management - they are obviously morons.  $angry$

Offline nwpo

« Reply #392 on: November 20, 2017, 04:13:50 pm »
DaveR, I agree and thought it was only me. The videos are sometimes not even relevant to the article and I've not found a way yet of turning the things off. However, unlike Newsquest who fill half the page if you use an adblocker at least Mirror Group don't do that yet.

The newspaper industry is in a race to the bottom now with those type of "Buzzfeed" headlines the order of the day and articles that tell me what side the football (or other television event) is on. It's time for the newspapers to go back to the old days of less but more relevant content rather than the current attempts at churnalism.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #393 on: December 02, 2017, 02:32:18 pm »
The DP website continues to use one really annoying technique to raise revenue, and that's the autoplay video. However, in Firefox you can disable this.

Type about:config in the address bar of FF, accept the dire warnings (or warnings of dire consequences) and go in, then scroll down the list until you reach media.autoplay.  Move across to the word 'true' and right click to toggle it to 'false'.  From then onwards the videos on the DP site and other sites that are increasingly using that tactic won't play until you choose to play them.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #394 on: December 06, 2017, 12:38:08 pm »
The DP website continues to use one really annoying technique to raise revenue, and that's the autoplay video. However, in Firefox you can disable this.

Type about:config in the address bar of FF, accept the dire warnings (or warnings of dire consequences) and go in, then scroll down the list until you reach media.autoplay.  Move across to the word 'true' and right click to toggle it to 'false'.  From then onwards the videos on the DP site and other sites that are increasingly using that tactic won't play until you choose to play them.
Excellent!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #395 on: October 21, 2021, 10:57:59 am »
I saw this article in the Daily Post and thought that the guy should count his blessings that it was not frozen.    If I was him I'd do the Euro Lottery tomorrow.
Another plus is that it might be good for his roses too.             ;D

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/poo-dumped-plane-onto-mans-21913091