Author Topic: Daily Post and North Wales Weekly News  (Read 111056 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Daily Post and North Wales Weekly News
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2011, 10:39:28 pm »
Perhaps we should put the Forum behind a Paywall in the best Digger Murdoch tradition and charge a £1 a month to access it?  ££$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2011, 10:44:28 pm »
Mentioning Murdoch just now has reminded me of a bit about his takeover of the News of the World that always made me laugh. I think it was 1969 when he bought it, before then it was owned and run by the Carr family. The main obstacle to getting a deal done was the Chairman of the NOTW - his name was Sir William Carr but he was known to all and sundry as 'Pissing Billy', because he was usually to be found drunk in his office by 10am every day!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2011, 08:15:13 am »
I realised that I didn't care about ensless pages of what kids were doing in schools.
I also got heartily sick of local fundraising efforts, ... noble though they are, they are NOT NEWS.

But...photos of kids in local schools do sell papers and - to be fair - a lot of people complain bitterly that 'all news is bad', which is hardly the case when a local paper like the NWWN celebrates the positive as often as it does.

Local fund raising efforts may not be news, in the sense of the nationals', but do provide a measure of free advertising for many local groups - a prime function of any community organ, and for that NWWN should be applauded.

The NWWN isn't the place of choice for the aspiring Murdoch, that's for sure, but I feel it performs a valuable service in the area and is better than the free alternatives in that respect. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2011, 09:08:20 am »
I realised that I didn't care about endless pages of what kids were doing in schools.
I also got heartily sick of local fundraising efforts, ... noble though they are, they are NOT NEWS.

But...photos of kids in local schools do sell papers  

For each class of 30, you sell 30 papers (maybe)!  Big deal!
The whole thing has gone down hill since the Jone's sold out!
Like Fester, we find the most interesting section is the Obits, and if one of the family is a local it is even more interesting!   WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2011, 09:09:26 am »
I realised that I didn't care about ensless pages of what kids were doing in schools.

But...photos of kids in local schools do sell papers and - to be fair - a lot of people complain bitterly that 'all news is bad', which is hardly the case when a local paper like the NWWN celebrates the positive as often as it does.

Local fund raising efforts may not be news, in the sense of the nationals', but do provide a measure of free advertising for many local groups - a prime function of any community organ, and for that NWWN should be applauded.

The NWWN isn't the place of choice for the aspiring Murdoch, that's for sure, but I feel it performs a valuable service in the area and is better than the free alternatives in that respect. 

But... the dwindling sales of the NWWN would suggest that these things don't sell papers.
Yes, the local charity efforts and school stuff are very laudable, just not really that captivating.
Maybe the NWWN is more at home in a 'local interest' category, rather than a 'newspaper'

'Ho Hum' is my verdict on the publication this last few months.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2011, 10:40:43 pm »
Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge spotted at Cineworld Llandudno Junction.

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2011/07/21/prince-william-and-duchess-of-cambridge-spotted-at-cineworld-in-llandudno-junction-55243-29090497/

Interesting scoop by the North Wales Weekly News there.

Nothing in this forum or any local blogs regarding the sighting.  $walesflag$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2011, 08:07:47 am »
Nothing in this forum or any local blogs regarding the sighting.  $walesflag$
Perhaps because no-one cares...?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2011, 08:11:31 am »
Stephen obviously does....
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2011, 09:25:25 am »
who are they?  ???   :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline gunnerboy

RE - quote pioneer newspaper  -  Noisy play sessions in a library have angered a town councillor.
Cllr Ann yates a former mayor of LLandudno was shocked by the noise from children taking part in a story time session at the refurbished library on mostyn st llandudno.

Just about sums up the mentallity of our so called councillors for heavenssake
if you find that a distraction pick another time to use the library its for everybody to use and enjoy
is it not refreshing to see youngsters partake in such activaties and enjoying themselves regardless

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2011, 01:29:14 pm »
Once you've been Mayor it's very hard to remove the Tricorn Jobsworth Hat!   She is 70 after all and we know what the oldies are like for laying down the law!    WWW

The Town Council Web Site is full of silly spelling errors again!   See how many you can spot.   For the experts - watch for gramatical errors!    :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
RE - quote pioneer newspaper  -  Noisy play sessions in a library have angered a town councillor.
Cllr Ann yates a former mayor of LLandudno was shocked by the noise from children taking part in a story time session at the refurbished library on mostyn st llandudno.

Just about sums up the mentallity of our so called councillors for heavenssake
if you find that a distraction pick another time to use the library its for everybody to use and enjoy
is it not refreshing to see youngsters partake in such activaties and enjoying themselves regardless

Gunnerboy I agree with you entirely it's about time these dinosaurs realised how out of touch they really are. 
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Trojan

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2011, 07:48:16 pm »
Stephen obviously does....

Steven....

Maybe I'm getting caught up in all the US euphoria regarding the couple. The Duchess seems to be following in Princess Diana's footsteps with regard to being a fashion icon over here.

Copies of her ring, her outfits she's worn etc can be found in stores, and advertised on TV.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2011, 07:58:58 pm »
The Duchess seems to be following in Princess Diana's footsteps

Let's hope she steers clear of Paris then....

Offline Trojan

« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2011, 10:49:06 am »
The Duchess seems to be following in Princess Diana's footsteps

Let's hope she steers clear of Paris then....

Diana wasn't steering Dave.