Author Topic: Friends of the Happy Valley Group  (Read 71580 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Friends of the Happy Valley Group
« on: April 05, 2011, 04:58:00 pm »
I just managed to catch a bit of an announcement on Tudno FM that a "Friends of the Happy Valley" is about to be formed, modelled on the friends of the West Shore. Unfortunately I was driving so I couldnt get the phone number of where or when they are having their opening meeting. I imagine Tudno FM would be able to give anyone the phone number.  Mike
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 08:52:37 am by DaveR »

Yorkie

Re: Friends of the Happy Valley
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 05:39:01 pm »
I believe that Alan Guinn, ex Town Councillor and now Chair of the Llandudno CIVIC Council started  off something similar a couple of years ago.  Never heard of it doing anything so maybe this is a ressurection of that outfit.     ££$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 05:00:16 pm »
I'm told that Malcolm Bullock is organising the new Group and I have emailed him to see if he would like to give us all some more info about it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 05:05:39 pm »
Speaking of Happy Valley, I noticed the other day that all the glass had been removed from the Victorian lantern outside the Cafe. The very same lantern (dating back to the 1890s when the Park was originally opened) that was restored at great expense* a few years ago is now completely open to the elements again and already starting to rust badly. When will CCBC learn that spending a few pounds now will save a lot more over time? They may claim there is no money available - yet money was found to install a totally unnecessary flagpole last year that has only recently had a flag attached - proclaiming an Award for 2009/10!

* - http://www.sugglighting.co.uk/media/documents/pdf/special_projects/llandudno.pdf

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 05:48:03 pm »
Has  it been vandalised?  If that is the case it could be an ongoing expense unless polycarbonate was used instead of glass.   $walesflag$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 05:52:48 pm »
Has  it been vandalised?  If that is the case it could be an ongoing expense unless polycarbonate was used instead of glass.   $walesflag$
I don't think its been vandalised, although its had one pane of glass missing for ages. Polycarbonate, as you say, would probably be better.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 08:35:59 pm »
I dont know what the word describes but I would'nt mind polycarbonating the vandals!!!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 02:07:49 pm »
From Town Council website:

"The Friends of Happy Valley Group held their first meeting on Wednesday 4th May 2011.    Following on from the successes of the Friends of Queens Park and West Shore Groups, the group made up of mainly local residents, is looking to develop projects and attract funds to assist with maintenance and improvements to the gardens of the Happy Valley Area on the Great Orme.  Anyone can join a Friends Group and give as much or as little time as they want.  If you are interested in making new friends, helping promote the heritage of the area, and having a say in the management of a local green space, please contact the Town Clerk for more information on how to become involved."

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 02:42:02 pm »
Friends Groups made up of volunteers from the Community will certainly get things moving and save Members of the Council getting off their backsides.   L0L
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 09:41:29 pm »
 :D i don;t remember seeing any off them get of their backsides before,except for tea. D)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 11:29:41 pm »
:D i don;t remember seeing any off them get of their backsides before,except for tea. D)

L0L

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 04:08:10 pm »
 :o  Just been for a little walk up the happy valley and guess what,as expected NO WATER FEATURE working ,ok its no suprise but the next time the fothv meet can they point out to the CCBC representative that Colwyn Bays water feature has been restored so lets fix ours. :rage:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 04:36:47 pm »
I wonder if Blodyn ever got any reply to her email to the Friends of Happy Valley group?

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 12:34:14 pm »
Dave, I've been away but while I was away I received a reply to an email, though not directly from the Friends of Happy Valley.  This is part of the email from the Environment Officer at CCBC: 

"The Friends of Happy Valley is a very new but committed group that formed about a month ago.  Currently there are only 5 members and they have only had one meeting.
The aims of the group are to support the park in its annual bid for the Green Flag Award, liaise with the Parks Department to regularly update the aims and objectives of our existing management plan and reflect local need/want.  They will also try to increase community involvement by hosting events and fund improvements by carrying out grant applications.  They cannot however make any decisions regarding planting or grounds maintenance without approval from the Parks Department.

"We are more than happy to offer representatives from the Bumblebee Conservation Trust and Butterfly Conservation a place on the Friends of Happy Valley as a forum to discuss your views and any improvements you feel Parks need to take into consideration when establishing aims for the coming year."

I had emailed the Organiser of the Friends of Happy Valley, suggesting that the gardens could be enhanced by inclusion of plants to attract bumblebees and butterflies and offering to give them a talk on behalf of the Bumblebee Conservation Trust.  I also contacted Butterfly Conservation and their local representative was interested in being involved too.  She in turn contacted the people at CCBC who are concerned with conservation and biodiversity in this area, so that everyone could liaise to avoid introduction of potentially invasive plants. 

I'll keep you posted of any progress. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 12:46:41 pm »
Thanks for the update, Blodyn, and do keep us informed.  :) I suspect the reason the FOHV group only has 5 members is because they havent promoted themselves in any way! The offer of a dedicated section on the Forum for them to promote themselves, keep us updated with news, and encourage new members is still there.