Author Topic: Friends of the Happy Valley Group  (Read 71577 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Friends of the Happy Valley
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2012, 10:51:21 pm »
Excellent, Blodyn!  $good$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2012, 07:30:40 am »
Good news,i of course have always gone on about LLandudno;s only water feature,the waterfall needs to be fixed there is something about a water feature,im not sure how many years it is since the whole feature was working,maybe a main sponsor could cover the cost of maintance.The main problem at the moment is getting the grass cut regular,as at the moment CCBC ;sparks dept cannot do the job,i think they have had massive cuts as the whole of Conwy has been a mess this year.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2012, 08:31:41 am »
Some feedback re suggestions for Happy Valley improvements from me would be:

1) Water feature - Can it be brought back into proper working order, ie. with the top cascade working? Perhaps an alternative means of powering the pump, maybe solar panels on roof of gardeners hut?

2) LLANDUDNO flowerbed - can the concrete be removed and summer bedding plants be reinstated?

3) Summer bedding - in recent years, quite a few of the flower beds that formerly contained summer bedding plants have been replaced with shrubs - can a few of them be brought back into use?

4) Rockeries - the upper sections of the gardens are not as well maintained as it could be, with areas of missing planting and usage of inappropriate species such as Buddleia. Happy Valley used to be renowned for its rare plants & shrubs, maybe a complete review of the planting within the gardens and a forward plan to restore it to its original glory?

5) Funding for projects - try contacting WREN (they have already contributed towards Queens Park, Craig Y Don, improvements*), Town Council, Mostyn Estates and get local businesses to sponsor specific features within the Park.

* - http://www.wren.org.uk/projects/craig-y-don-queens-park-improvements

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Friends of the Happy Valley Group
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2012, 08:58:41 pm »
 I have just been told this today. I'm not vouching for it being correct.
 Apparently on the Alice memorial in the Happy Valley there is a large caterpillar. I dont know, that is what I have been told. Apparently a local resident has objected to this. For obvious reasons I am not going to name her or where she lives. But she claims the caterpillar is too large. Also, because of its size, it will attract local druggies who like that sort of thing. Well we all know there are plenty of them around the Happy Valley at night.
   So the Council are in the process of taking off said large caterpillar and are going to replace it with a smaller version.
   I told you I am not vouching for this, but presumably something must have started this story  Mike

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2012, 10:20:48 pm »
I don't recall seeing a large caterpillar in Happy Valley, even after several bottles of Sol.....  $drink$

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2012, 12:18:35 am »
i blame Fester for to many sol---- to

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2012, 08:45:37 am »
It's always Fester's fault, that is true.  :laugh:

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2012, 10:13:44 am »
I don't recall seeing a large caterpillar in Happy Valley, even after several bottles of Sol.....  $drink$

To be quite honest the first time I glanced at said statue I didn't register the caterpillar at all, but at a second viewing I thought he was lovely--- ahhh poor caterpillar-- wonder what will happen to the first one?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2012, 06:17:07 pm »
I don;t remember the lights and things in the Happy Valley,but i used to take my girls to Happy mount park in Morcambe and they had lovely illuminated scenes and i think a small tented theatre,it was all part of their illuminations but it was a wonderful atmosphere.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2012, 08:07:43 pm »
So Nemesis bears out that there is or was a caterpillar around. So perhaps this story I heard might be factual. Seems to me a waste of money reducing the size of this caterpillar just because one lady (as far as I was told there is only one) says she thinks it is too big.  as I previously posted I was told who this lady is---and where she lives. Perhaps she might like to write to the forum to say why she thinks ratepayer money should be spent on reducing the size. Apart from the fact that it might attract druggies. Mike

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2012, 01:00:39 pm »
Nice little walk up the happy valley this morning,my water feature was looking so neglected,but i pray the FOTHV can achieve the repair of our only water feature,please.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2012, 05:50:24 pm »
Thanks for your very useful suggestions, Wrex and DaveR, I will pass them on to the Friends of Happy Valley. 

Regarding the current concrete "LLANDUDNO" sign, DaveR asks for the concrete to be removed and for it to be replanted with bedding plants.  Would replanting with colourful foliage plants be acceptable?  It could provide a longer season of colour. 

You may remember that my interest is to get more plants to attract bees and butterflies.  A representative of the Parks Department who was at the meeting said that any plants put in Happy Valley would need to be goat-proof in addition to any other merits which they might have.

Can anyone suggest any goat-proof plants, please?  I know, for example, that goats enjoy tulips but are not keen on daffodils but what about other plants?

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2012, 06:13:24 pm »
Goats don't like Rosemary, I have a couple of very large Rosemary bushes by my front fence for just this reason. They nibble the Senecio, but leave the Rosemary well alone.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2012, 06:54:55 pm »
Thanks, Nemesis.  I'm pleased to hear about the rosemary - that's good for bumblebees.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2012, 07:15:33 pm »
While in Crete this year the rep told ud that the bushes along the motorway where there to keep the goats off the motorway,i just can;t remember what bushes they were but she said the goats don;t like it.