Author Topic: Hotel News & Gossip  (Read 302191 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Hotel News & Gossip
« on: April 09, 2011, 04:27:14 am »
Does anybody know what the benefits are for members of the National Trust for the above property ?

In September 2008 this company donated all its interests in BODYSGALLEN HALL and the other two HISTORIC HOUSE HOTELS to THE NATIONAL TRUST, with all profits benefiting the houses and the charity.

Yorkie

Re: Hotel News & Gossip
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 07:47:25 am »
Is there nothing in the Members' handbook?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 07:56:04 am »
Doesn't look, on first glance, if they are any special benefits.

Yorkie

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 11:56:19 am »
I suppose one can wander around the gardens and have a coffee in the lounge (bank manager willing!).   As it's an hotel it must be difficult to have the place open to all and sundry.    Just hope it is making plenty of money to help keep our subs down.     ZXZ

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 01:42:48 pm »
I don’t think you need to be a NT member to do all of that.

As for making a profit, Yorkie, do you really think Historic Hotels Ltd would have handed over their hotels to the National Trust if they were profitable?

It occurs to me the NT may now be picking up the annual maintenance costs so the owners can continue to trade without any real benefits to the membership of NT.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 06:36:20 pm »
As for making a profit, Yorkie, do you really think Historic Hotels Ltd would have handed over their hotels to the National Trust if they were profitable?
The NT would never have accepted them otherwise - I believe they are highly profitable.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 09:36:10 pm »
If they were so profitable why did the directors dispose of their properties ?

Where is your evidence thay were highly profitable or is it simply hearsay ?

Today. what is the benefit to members of the NT ?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 09:56:12 pm »
If they were so profitable why did the directors dispose of their properties ?

Where is your evidence thay were highly profitable or is it simply hearsay ?

Today. what is the benefit to members of the NT ?
Well, people do things for reasons other than money you know! According to their website, the company was set up 30 years ago to rescue old country houses, with the ultimate aim of them becoming properties of the NT. Obviously, the donation in 2008 was the culmination of that original plan.

The hotels and the antique contents are obviously worth a lot of money and could easily have had their contents sold off by auction and then the building converted into apartments etc. Instead, they were donated to the NT - that seems like a good thing to me?  :)

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 02:55:41 am »
It all sounds very philanthropic but did your research manage to reveal why it took the company such a long time to get round to donating the property ?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 08:32:03 am »
I can only speculate that the plan was for Richard Broyd to donate the hotels when the time came for him to retire. He was already a very rich man, after he had sold his employment agency.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/3067916/National-Trust-gift-Richard-Broyd-interview.html

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 10:11:27 am »
DaveR, I believe you will find Mr Richard Broyd is still a Director.

BTW, public records at Companies House reveal 4 x mortgages were discharged either in full or in part on the 23 September 2008 for Historic House Hotels Limited.

I wonder whose money was used to do that.

Was it Mr Broyd's or me and Yorkies ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:17:01 am by Bri Roberts »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 04:58:25 pm »
Why not email the NT and ask them?

Yorkie

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 11:32:36 am »
The Annual Report 2009 (available on-line) will answer a lot of questions. ££$

Offline hollins

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 08:04:23 pm »
We have enjoyed some super afternoon teas at Bodysgallen Hall. It costs £14.50 per person but we found that they are flexible on the amount ordered. The first picture is tea for two with two extra scones which was in the upstairs drawing room. The second picture is tea for four in the downstairs lounge.
The gardens are beautiful and there is no charge to look around them so the tea doesn't look so expensive if you factor that in.
If you walk through the woodland to the back of the garden there is a great view over to Conwy castle spoilt only by the noise from the traffic on the main road below.
I only have admiration for the previous owners of Historic House hotels. The money they must have invested to rescue these buildings is unimaginable and then to donate it all to the National Trust.
When I patronise these establishments now at least I can think I am helping the National Trust. I think they do an amazing job not only with properties but you also always know when you are on a section of their coastal path because it is always so tidy and well kept.