Author Topic: Hotel News & Gossip  (Read 303816 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Hotel News & Gossip
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2013, 04:34:31 pm »
The bigger ones have small car parks at the rear---

They did have LARGE ones until they all decided to engage in "back yard building".  About the only one left with the original car park is the Hydro. 
The owners were their own worst enemy as it's turned out.  ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2013, 12:10:49 am »
It doesn't matter what size the carpark is if most of your trade is coaching.  ZXZ
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2013, 07:19:11 pm »
Saw the Recobuild van outside the Clarence with a Jewish builder and i saw lots of our Jewish friends in Plas Gogarth,so i presume they have aquired it for some purpose.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2013, 08:13:31 pm »
It doesn't matter what size the carpark is if most of your trade is coaching.  ZXZ

Unless, of course, you need somewhere to park your coach!  Or does everyone rely on others for the peripheral services?   :D
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2013, 08:49:42 am »
This isn't strictly (or even) a Llandudno hotel, but if you want something to cheer you up, and leave you gasping for breath while tears roll down your cheeks from laughing so much, look up Adare Hotel, 153 Sussex Gardens, Hyde Park, London W2 2RY in Trip Advisor.  I've never believed Fawlty Towers could actually exist, but apparently it's alive and well - in Hyde Park. Reading this will certainly cheer up all of you who own hotels :-))

With gruesome fascination, however, the worst hotel in London on TripAdvisor is this: Berkeley Court, 22 Upper Berkeley Street, London W1H 7PF.  This one however, doesn't have the amusement factor of the other; it's just seriously nasty.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2013, 08:52:32 am »
Mostyn estates must be back in charge of the Tudno Castle as they are always doing bits on it to make it safe and im glad as we know they will be doing their best to find the right tennant,i do hope they suceed.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2013, 07:46:14 pm »
ian - even the address is "iffy".  From memory Sussex Gardens is just south of Paddington station whereas Hyde Park is the other side of Marble Arch nearly a mile down the Edgware Road from the hotel.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2013, 08:23:15 pm »
Mostyn estates must be back in charge of the Tudno Castle as they are always doing bits on it to make it safe and im glad as we know they will be doing their best to find the right tennant,i do hope they suceed.
I saw Edward and 6 other men in suits looking at it last week.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2013, 08:13:22 am »
Hope they didn't stand too close ! We had doubts about parking near to it on Sunday !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2013, 08:33:32 am »
ian - even the address is "iffy".  From memory Sussex Gardens is just south of Paddington station whereas Hyde Park is the other side of Marble Arch nearly a mile down the Edgware Road from the hotel.

The post Code is the guide.

Paddington Station to Sussex Gardens is only a short distance as is Sussex Gardens to Hyde Park.   Marble Arch is further East along the Bayswater Road.   Post Code is the same for all.   ;D

Cicero

Offline romanjohn

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2013, 02:55:34 am »
I belive wrex said that there was scafolding around the wash any idea whats going on may be its for opening as a takaway  romanjohn

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2013, 06:56:27 am »
To me it looks like they have just done a bit of essential roof work,there is no sign of any work inside at all.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2013, 09:27:49 am »
To me it looks like they have just done a bit of essential roof work,there is no sign of any work inside at all.
I went past this morning, no sign of any work having been done in last few months, the building is looking very tatty indeed.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2013, 09:31:26 am »
Funny....  :laugh:

Actually reminds me of a story I read in a book about film producer Tony Tenser back in the 1970s. One of his favourite methods of creating publicity for a film was to have a life size cardboard cut out of the stars placed at the cinema entrance. The cutout would then 'mysteriously disappear' overnight, leading to newspaper stories and lots of publicity for the film.

Restaurant owner upset after thieves steal his Egyptian statue
10 Jul 2013 08:57

Police called after Ramesses II statue is taken from outside an Eastern European eaterie

An exotic statue has vanished after thieves swiped it from outside a restaurant.

It was one of a pair, each more than five feet tall and weighing 50kgs, and would have needed several people to carry it.

Victim James Corbett, who only opened his Hungry For Hungarian restaurant in Llandudno last month, said: “I’m gutted.”

Police were called after the theft of the Rameses II-style figure from the eaterie in The Lindens House Hotel in Church Walks.

Hotel boss Mr Corbett, 51, said: “Someone’s carried it off. It can’t have been just one person. It must have been two or three because they’re so heavy.”

And after the Egyptian takeaway, he added with black humour: “You could say it walked like an Egyptian.

“It’s annoying because I’m going to have to take the other one in at night now.”

Mr Corbett says the theft is not on CCTV because only Mostyn Street is covered.

He had bought the statues with other commercial equipment from staff at the nearby Pars Restaurant, which has now closed.

He said he had Egyptian themed statues at an east European restaurant because he likes to make a statement – and they’ve proved to be a huge hit with customers and passersby.

He said: “I like eclectic, daft things. The customers love them and people were stopping and taking photographs with them.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/llandudno-restaurant-owner-upset-after-4922479

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2013, 08:12:00 pm »
Fester recently commented on another thread that he believed the Grand Hotel belonged in the category of 'local eyesore'.  AS I was looking at Trip Advisor, I decided to have a look at the Grand's reviews on there, and it does seem Fester may have a point: