Author Topic: Craig Y Don  (Read 82703 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Craig Y Don
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 12:50:10 pm »
I will see what i can do, Bri.  :)

Offline Jack

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 07:07:19 pm »
Just wondered where was this Cafe?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 11:08:54 am »
Hello Jack,

I originally thought this was on the Prom, but now I think its round the corner on Nant Y Gamar Road, where the newest section of the garage now is, You can see a garage to the left (still there today) and what would have been the Bedford Hotel to the rear. I suspect when this cafe was closed to make way for the garage, it was moved across the road to that enclosed area of Bodafon Fields, where a small cafe/kiosk run by Fortes survived up until the late 80s.

You can see the long garage roof in the old postcard (with row of inset windows) in the centre of this modern aeral view:
llandudno - Google Maps

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2010, 02:20:17 pm »
Well done, DaveR, as that did have me flummoxed earlier.

The garage roof is a massive clue.

The café was clearly on the site of where ATS is now and Orme Garage and Twigdons Garage were previously.

I wonder what year that photo may have been taken ?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2010, 03:01:41 pm »
I'm going for late 20s/early 30s?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 07:53:35 pm »
Close up of an old postcard from the 1960s of Queens Road, showing the old BP petrol pumps that were once there.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 09:07:05 pm »
With Hughie Hughes' Manswear shop next door I notice.

You can still see where the petrol pumps were at the front and the garage at the rear is occupied as C-y-D Coaches these days.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:09:21 pm by Bri Roberts »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 04:21:05 pm »
The shop that's a bit nearer, it looks like W. Hughes & Sons and that looks like a 'Mace' logo, weren't they a sort of convenience store/grocers?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 06:34:54 pm »
Yes, they were a popular convenience store in the sixties.

Probably a national.

I seem to remember a gentleman called Basil Howe may have had the store at one time later and then I think the youngest son of the Plummers of the Albert in town ran it as a green grocers.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 05:06:30 pm »
Am I right in thinking at the Chip Shop in Victoria Street has closed down again? I see also that the former Jewellers in Queens Road is up for rent and the long abandoned cafe in Queens Road (can't remember the name but it's been closed for at least 5 years) is showing signs of work going on inside. And the former Elgin shop next to St Davids Hospice shop is being refurbished...but for what?

I noticed the Chip Shop in Victoria Street was open again this evening and was quite busy when I passed before 5pm.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 06:53:18 pm »
Really? Thanks for that, Bri, I will have to pop in and give them a go.  :)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 12:37:34 am »
Really? Thanks for that, Bri, I will have to pop in and give them a go.  :)

On what, your bike?  :cyclist40:

Offline jackiecj

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 03:44:48 pm »
Yes, they were a popular convenience store in the sixties.

Probably a national.

I seem to remember a gentleman called Basil Howe may have had the store at one time later and then I think the youngest son of the Plummers of the Albert in town ran it as a green grocers.

You are right about Basil Howe- I remember him being there-cutting bacon on a slicer at the back of the shop-think his wife was also in the shop,on the till at the front- but can't remember her name.Probably around mid 60s-mid 70s (I was in Craig-y-don Primary school at the time) It was a Mace shop (a franchise maybe) & at one time they used to give Green Shield Stamps-I hated them-mainly because they never got stuck into the books, until mum decided that she wanted to' cash them in for goodies', then we would have to spend evenings licking & sticking. Always had books & books to do because Dad got them for petrol somewhere as well!! Yck-they tasted disgusting!!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 08:51:28 am »
I've moved the Green Shield Stamps discussion over to the Three Towns Arms thread:
http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=200.msg14401#msg14401

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 11:31:14 am »
I understand that the Zebra Crossing at Mostyn Ave/Queens Road is to be moved slightly and the road narrowed at that point as part of the North Shore-South Shore Cycle Track which will run along Mostyn Ave.