Author Topic: Local Wildlife  (Read 528377 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Local Wildlife
« Reply #1335 on: June 19, 2017, 04:35:26 pm »
Another boat trip today but this time around Puffin Island.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1336 on: June 19, 2017, 04:37:06 pm »
Puffin Island

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1337 on: June 19, 2017, 10:31:16 pm »
do the puffins know they have been invaded or are they away on holiday

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1338 on: June 19, 2017, 10:55:59 pm »
Rats were introduced to the Island some time ago and because the Puffins nest in Rabbit burrows the Puffin population declined.
The rats were exterminated from the island in recent times and the Puffins have started to come back but only in small numbers
Tellytubby took this photo today on our trip around the island

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1339 on: July 15, 2017, 08:24:00 am »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1340 on: July 15, 2017, 08:34:31 am »
The pics (credit joopvanderlinde1)

[smg id=3367]

[smg id=3366]

[smg id=3365]
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1341 on: July 15, 2017, 09:42:03 am »
I read that article yesterday, and sympathised with their problem, very tricky situation, be interesting to find out if there is a happy ending.

The BBC article I read says.... "The local safari lodge say there is a resident female leopard there who almost certainly has cubs. And as Nosikitok's pride are unlikely to prove as indulgent as she is, the best outcome for the leopard would be a safe return to mum"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-40603065

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1342 on: July 24, 2017, 06:03:43 pm »
We enjoyed an interesting walk on the Great Orme today and saw a variety of wildlife.   The Kestrel,  Gannet and the Weasel were too quick for us to photograph but at least the Rabbits  did stay still for a bit

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1343 on: August 05, 2017, 08:25:50 am »
I have no doubt that someone will say that it is my imagination but are the gulls noisier and more aggressive than before?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1344 on: August 05, 2017, 08:31:56 am »
They certainly were noisier at 4.30am this morning.

Offline mull

« Reply #1345 on: August 05, 2017, 11:55:56 am »
Without a doubt.
Spent a few days in Llandudno 3 weeks ago.
Had an evening meal in the Cottage Loaf.
1st evening outdoor on raised area, no problem.
2nd night outdoor in the coutyard backing on to the side of the Palladium. Spent the whole meal being watched by Sammy the seagull pounding up and down the wall. During the half hour we were there he made at least 2 attempts to snatch meals off diners at adjoining tables. Felt uncomfortable for the whole meal, will eat indoors in future.
Being a retired safety officer I can see a safety problem with this,and one the landlord should be aware of, ie, how long before one of these attacks knocks a scalding hot pot of tea or coffee over a customer or child.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1346 on: August 05, 2017, 02:15:26 pm »
We, and all our neighbours ago that the seagull problem is getting worse every year, and this year it is dreadful. The noise is horrendous and they are becoming more aggressive and opportunistic, even to the extent of trying to snatch food off the BBQ. Something is going to have to be done before a child loses an eye to these flying rats.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1347 on: August 05, 2017, 03:02:15 pm »
I totally agree, something needs to be done, I feel to need a crash helmet to hang my washing in the back garden and we haven't had an undisturbed night now for months. My great grand kiddies are coming to visit next week and the 4 year old had a nasty experience last year on the prom, so we shall have to be extra vigilant this time.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1348 on: August 06, 2017, 04:22:18 pm »
Mull, knocking over things to injure a child indirectly is a distinct possibility, as I have witnessed the gulls fly straight into children (and even adults), in order to rip the food from their hands or mouth, irrespective of what injury they might cause.

They used to be sly and even a little amusing, now they are an aggressive menace.

I have noticed the jackdaws learning some of these tricks from the gulls too.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1349 on: August 07, 2017, 10:46:29 am »
Hmm. Wonder if they behave like that simply because they haven't been conditioned not to?  If approaching humans were more risky, then possibly they might be deterred.  We could redeploy the Kingdom people from nicking dog owners and litter droppers to deterring seagulls. If we made it result-based, then they'd probably arm them all and have them walking the prom ten hours a day.